main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Tim Burton: The Wizard of Odd: Now Disc. New "Dark Shadows" Photos

Discussion in 'Community' started by JohnWesleyDowney, Mar 31, 2006.

1. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
  2. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    How are you able to say that so calmly? :p

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Not being a hyperactive teenager is key. :p

4. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Aww, that's no fun at all. :p

5. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    Tim presides over the Cannes Film Festival and provoked bewildered responses
    for the choice of this year's jury. People are puzzled.

Tim Burton at Cannes

It's not often you see an article about Tim Burton in the Wall Street Journal. The success of Alice has had a positive effect on Disney's stock price.

Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland" on Thursday passed the $1 billion mark in global ticket sales, Walt Disney Co. (DIS) said, making it just the sixth movie ever to do so.

Sales in North America have reached $332 million, making it Disney's third-highest grossing film behind "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," which also stars "Alice" actor Johnny Depp, and the animated "Finding Nemo."

The second in the three-film "Pirates" series is also one of the five other movies to reach $1 billion--the others being "Avatar," "Titanic," "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" and "The Dark Knight."

The movie is set for home-video release in the U.S. on Tuesday. The box-office performance of "Alice" helped Disney post a 55% profit jump for the latest quarter as earnings for the struggling studio-entertainment unit soared nearly 20-fold.

Disney shares were recently up 2.4% at $33.87 amid a sharp market rally. The stock is up 42% the past year.

-By Tess Stynes, Dow Jones Newswires

6. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Of course they're puzzled. That's the natural response. :p

7. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm glad Burton finally had the global megahit we've all been waiting for since 1989's Batman. Lighting did indeed strike twice.

8. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    You're right Jabba, and it sure took him long enough. If Burton hadn't wasted so much time on Superman Reborn or Mars Attacks! he might have got back on top sooner. Though Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was a huge hit, but not on the scale of Alice.

Alice has now not only broken the 1 billion dollar barrier, but it's surpassed the Dark Knight in ticket sales. 5th highest grossing film ever. Go figure. The details:

All Time Global Box office chart from Box Office Mojo

9. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Geez.

Just...geez.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Wh-wh...wha?

11. Slowburn

Slowburn Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 22, 2010
    Jesus. "Alice" was good, but not that good. o_O

12. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    It's got that crossover appeal. Little kids love it because it's talking animals and Jabberwockies. Older kids love it 'cause it's... kinda cool. Moms love it because it's family-friendly fun. Teenagers and college students love it in equal measures of childhood nostalgia and psychedelic eye-candy. And film fans love it because the director is one of our own: a weirdo, an oddball, an artist(e). We can dissect his work analytically, and munch popcorn at the same time. Translation: $1 billion.

Way to go, Tim! Put all that bread to a good cause, and go make some more genius-level movies (I'm hoping Dark Shadows will be next, myself! :cool: )

13. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Couldn't have said it better, myself! :D

Personally, I wish Frankenweenie was his next project, but it looks like we'll have to wait until after he clears Dark Shadows off his metaphorical, cobweb-laden plate. Speaking of such, I hear DS is going to have a highly original blend of tongue-in-cheek humor, drama, and an ode to the cheesyness of the original series. Sounds like pure Burton to me!

Shoot me for saying this, but I'm not the world's biggest vampire fan, and I'm not incredibly excited about the prospect of this...this...this...this, and think there are other things I'd rather Burton and Johnny be collaborating on. That said, I'm intensely curious to see what they come up with next.

14. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    People people people... it's 3-D. Obviously it has a lot of appeal, but the 3-D would surely be inflating the gross hugely.

15. Slowburn

Slowburn Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 22, 2010
    I doubt it would increase the appeal that much. I mean, when I hear that a film is shown in 3D, I think it's cool, but it doesn't make me want to see it more. If the subject isn't interesting to someone, 3D won't mean a thing.

16. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Sure the 3D's inflating the gross, but it's not inflating the appeal. Because everything's in 3D, so the novelty's gone.

17. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    [face_thinking]

That analysis is thoughtful and right on target. It appealed to many different audiences and the marketing campaign was well done and relentless.

People people people... it's 3-D. Obviously it has a lot of appeal, but the 3-D would surely be inflating the gross hugely.

One could say the same thing about the Dark Knight's IMAX ticket prices, which surely contributed tremendously to it's massive box office success.

18. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    And not everything needs[ to be in 3-D, but that's a whole different story. Don't remember if I already said this here, but I enjoyed Alice much more in 2-D. The 3-D seemed pointless and distracting.

19. DanyKenobi340

DanyKenobi340 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2009
    I know what your saying. I saw it in 3D at the theater, then saw it at the drive ins and it was a whole other world.
    I enjoyed it at the drive ins more, since it was outside and you felt like you where right there even more.

20. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Actually, I bought a Blu-Ray copy yesterday and watched it at home last night, and it looked the best I've ever seen it. I mean, better than 3D, theater 2D, and IMAX 3D. :p I guess you just notice more on a smaller, more focused screen.

21. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Really? I haven't seen it, but it looks pretty bleh. My parents said they almost walked out of the movie because it was so bad, and that's something they never do. I've had zero desire to see it.

-sj loves kevin spacey

22. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    I think it would be worth it to try it out.

23. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Frankenweenie release date bumped to 2012.

Frankenweenie's due to be releasted in March of 2012. Disney had been letting on that it was going to be out next year, but I sort of doubted that was true, with everything else Burton has on his plate at the moment. Kind of disappointing, but not unexpected.

24. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Burton's Alice struck me as very... Gilliamesque. Maybe it was because of the Jabberwocky ( :p), but it had a very similar visual look and atmosphere to classic Gilliam's films.

25. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    I watched Alice on a flight to Montreal and turned it off after 40 minutes from boredom.