main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Tim Burton: The Wizard of Odd: Now Disc. New "Dark Shadows" Photos

Discussion in 'Community' started by JohnWesleyDowney, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I'd say that's an apt point, Mar. :p I generally liked Alice. If we're talking about it being Gilliamesque, it's quirkiness reminded me of The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. Don't know why exactly, it just does. 8-}

2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    A bit of Jabberwocky, a bit of Baron Munchausen, and quite a large bit of Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus. Yep, definitely Gilliamesque. :p

3. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Suits me fine, I like Gilliam. Gilliamesque is also (usually) good. :p

4. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
  5. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

I'm not a fan of Entertainment Weekly, but I don't think they'd print a false story.

I think Jim Carrey would make a great Abe Lincoln, battling vampires and issuing emancipation proclamations.

6. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Nope, this is true. It was announced a few months ago. I'm not entirely thrilled. :p

7. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    An Oscar for Tim Burton?

Walt Disney Pictures wants Oscar to show their billion dollar baby, Alice in Wonderland, some Academy Awards love.

According to Deadline, the studio this week will launch a "major advertising campaign in the Industry's awards-centric media also will be part of the equation to land Alice in Wonderland not just the expected technical nominations such as art direction, makeup, visual effects, and costumes but also Best Picture and Director [Tim Burton] recognition, a longer shot indeed according to current conventional wisdom of where the race is."

This campaign will include a brief 3D re-release of the film in two major Los Angeles-area theaters from October 18-21, a move meant to court Academy voters and guild members.

As Alice producer Richard Zanuck, who once produced the Oscars, tells Deadline, "I think it would be terribly disappointing not to make the Top Ten [nominees for Best Picture]. ... We're not just mercenary about that. You can't make a billion dollar gross unless millions of people are satisfied with a picture. The whole point of the new rule of 10 Best Picture nominees was not to exclude the most popular pictures of the year such as The Dark Knight. It was like pooh-poohing the audience. There should be recognition that you don't get that business unless there were a lot of repeats and broad-based appeal and true creative accomplishment. That was the point of that discussion."

Disney is also pushing their other billion dollar-grosser this year, Toy Story 3, for not only Best Animated Feature Film but Best Picture as well.

8. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  9. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    I've been giving it every ounce of my creativity since yesterday. :p

10. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Tim Burton and Josh Brolin are working on developing a fresh version of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame." Burton and a Hunchback? Interesting. Brolin would play Quasimodo.

Johnny Depp is nowhere in sight on this one.

Tim Burton and Josh Brolin working on "Hunchback"

11. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    It'd actually be kinda cool of Burton cast Depp as Phoebus or something like that. At least it would allow Depp to venture out of schtickdom.

12. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Tim's got so much on his plate right now, between Dark Shadows and Frankenweenie and Monsterpocalypse, that I'm not sure this is true. If it is, however...awesome. Just awesome.

13. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    In a way, Burton's been making the Hunchback of Notre Dame his whole career.
    Much of his career is about alienated outsiders, both sweet good guys and damaged bad guys:

Pee Wee
    Beetlejuice
    The Joker (dies at the Bell Tower)
    Ed Wood
    The Penguin
    The Headless Horseman
    Willie Wonka
    Sweeney Todd
    Jack Skellington

And of course, Edward Scissorhands is very much a Quasimodo type of character.

14. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    This is intriquing to say the least. Any news on whether or not it will be geared towards kids? The original Hugo novel is pretty much a story about sex and lust and that is forgotten in pretty much every adaptation.

I doubt it will happen though and if it does Depp will be Quasimodo. They ought to sew those two at the hip(That would make a good Burton film) :p

15. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Since Brolin is producing and initiated the project, with the intent of playing the lead role, I doubt Depp will be a part of the project.

16. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    I forgot, he's got Maleficent in the works, too. It'll be a while, if this happens. Which I hope it does.

They touched on that as much as they could in the animated Disney version without completely scarring an entire generation of kids. :p

17. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

I just read the wikipedia article on The Hunchback of Notre Dame, which is quite comprehensive. Victor Hugo had a lot to say.

What a dark, twisted, melancholy tale. [face_worried]

Which makes it perfect Burton material. :D

18. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  19. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Burton is so clever for doing Dark Shadows. Problem is it can never ever be as odd and brilliant as the show was. I enjoyed Sweeney Todd but not as much as the stage production. Burton is great at picking what I'd want him to do next. I can't say that for any other director I love these days.

20. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Tim and Michelle Pfeiffer worked GREAT together on Batman Returns. I'm getting excited about the project already. The casting is sounding better and better.

21. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Miohael Keaton talks about the struggles of making the 1989 Batman, talks about his personal opinion of Christopher Nolan's the Dark Knight
    and talks about working with director Tim Burton.

Keaton discusses working on Tim Burton's Batman

22. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Am I the only one who has wondered why Keaton and Burton haven't worked together since 1992?

23. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Burton met Johnny Depp. :p

(seriously though, I'm now curious myself)

24. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Actually COTF, you probably nailed it with The Depp Factor. Depp and Burton seem to be kindred spirits when it comes to moviemaking. Plus, after the Batman films, Michael Keaton kind of dropped off the map, didn't seem nearly as interested in acting anymore.

Still, that interview I posted above seems as though Keaton and Burton had a totally positive working relationship, I didn't detect any friction. Though it does sound as though it was a very difficult shoot.

25. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

I've a lot of Burton interviews but this one is one of the best. They start out talking
    about the very successful museum exhibitions of his work.

He seems quite a bit more relaxed and articulate than usual.
    Part of it may be that the interviewer has his act together and is doing a good job.

This is worth 8 minutes of your time, if you're a Burton fan.

Tim Burton interview