main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tim Burton would be perfect to direct EPISODE III

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Darthkarma, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

I think AOTC may well turn out to be the best film Lucas will ever direct. Everything's set. The technology and effects are up to speed. He's got great actors. The story is set up. It's now or never.

2. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Burton? Well maybe if you want to make a Star Wars movie without the Star Wars feel.

3. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    The whole point of getting Burton to direct a film is so it can have that "Burtonesque" feel. Star Wars is not a Burtonesque story, so what would be the point of him directing? Much as I'd be interested to see what ROTJ would have been like if David Lynch directed it, that probably wouldn't have gone well either. Lucas is too much of a visionary control freak to let another director put an individualistic stamp on his saga.

I do think Burton is underrated as an action director, though. Even Mars Attacks had pretty good action scenes. Ridley Scott and Peter Jackson can do epic action quite well, but both Gladiator and FOTR had opening battle scenes that were too blurry for my liking. Some people would say that's because they're capturing the chaos of war, but Saving Private Ryan managed to be chaotic without being incomprehensible.

4. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Adali-Kiri, while the movies you listed come highly recommended (most I've seen) I just think his fixation with dark and gloom would interfer with portraying the SW universe in the best way possible. Look at "Planet of the Apes," when the credits rolled, the only words I could come up with were "you've gotta be f###in' kidding me!" All that great costume design and an interesting storyline got ruined by his need to have a "quirky" ending. His need to be "edgy" and "artistic" would get in the way of telling a tale that could blend in to the rest of the SW saga.

5. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Yeah, imagine if Episode III ended with Obi-Wan returning to Coruscant and finding out it had been completely taken over by the Sith . . . with no explanation whatsoever :)

6. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    There's no way in hell Burton should come within a thousand yards of directing a SW movie.

7. LordIsurus

LordIsurus Jedi Master star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    Tim Burton uses dark images and artwork to get a dark feel across. George doesn't need that. TPM is bright and colourful and even though most come out of it gleefully, you know something dark happened. Thats why we're all goin to see the next one. Epi I is like a good blues song. Bright and cheery on the outside, but bloody gloomy when you really get what happened.

Fear...fear leads to the dark side.

Isurus

8. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Krash; Well, I've never campaigned for Burton to direct Star Wars, but I was trying to balance out the negativity towards one of the greatest working directors. You probably guessed I'm a big fan, though.

9. Joey7F

Joey7F Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2000
    Hehe, my family hated Ed Wood. I thought it was great. They also disliked The Hudsucker Proxy which I also thought was good but I think that was the Coen Brothers.

--Joey

10. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

OK, that does it, I want the COEN brothers to direct Episode III. Now THAT would be interesting.

11. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    Ed Wood was actually Tim Burton's best and funniest movie.

:D

12. yodaman

yodaman Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 26, 1999
    LOL! Me and my friend actually rented Plan 9 and it was hilarious.

13. C-3P0

C-3P0 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    ooops

14. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

I was amazed Burton could even create a movie out of Ed Wood's life! When I first heard of the project, I remember thinking, what in the world is he up to?
    And it's a pretty good flick too.

I also remember wondering when I first heard he was making a movie about a character with scissors for hands thinking how much can you do with that? That seemed like a limited concept. Yet it turned out great.

He's an amazingly creative director.

15. MountainMan

MountainMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 11, 2001
    All I have to say is: Tim "Plant of the Apes" Burton. I just finished watching that mess on DVD. What an incoherent movie. It seems Burton was so caught up marveling at the amazing make-up and special effects that he forgot to actually tell a story. No, I think after The Phantom Menace, Lucas has clearly shown that he is the man for the job.

16. NORTHSTAR

NORTHSTAR Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2002
    Tim Burton would be a good Idea.

Tim did an out standing job of capturing Darkness in "Batman" (Best of all the Batman movies). He potentially could be perfect for the role. Burton seems to do a good job of developing the characters as well

Other Directors that shouldn't be ruled out
    1. Irv Kershner
    2. Night M Shalyman (Next Speilberg)
    3. Ridly Scott
    4. Daved Lynch (Dune, Dark & very detailed)
    5. James Cameron

Scott could be interesting, Didn't he do Blad Runner? All of them are qualified. I think Lucas was a hero for Cameron and Shalyman but I am not positive.

17. Joey7F

Joey7F Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2000
    I wish Ed Wood was on DVD. I have Plan 9 from Outer Space on DVD. I like both movies but Ed Wood was a "better" movie. However if you have never seen Plan 9, I HIGHLY recommend that you see it at least once.

If you like the bizarreness of it, I can suggest a couple of more.

--Joey

18. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    1. Irv Kershner

I think he's like 100 now.

2. Night M Shalyman (Next Speilberg)

I have to disagree with him being the next Spielberg. His one action scene wasn't exactly compelling. His dirctorial style seems to consist of people whispering to each other in dark rooms until the twist ending.

3. Ridly Scott

I'm down with that. He's good with action and characters and he invented dark sci-fi.

4. Daved Lynch (Dune, Dark & very detailed)

Too weird for SW, IMO, although he was asked to direct ROTJ.

5. James Cameron

He can defintitly do action and sci-fi. I just can't forgive him for Titanic though. He'd have to redeem himself with a good movie first.

19. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    Tim Burton would be perfect to direct EPISODE III

umm..no he wouldn't(although he is good.... george is brilliant at his job)
    and peter jackson can't direct to save his life.....

20. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    There are plenty of directors that seem more talented than Lucas, but that doen't mean they could make a good Star Wars movie. I love all Tim Burton's films, but I don't think he'd mix well with Lucas's galaxy. Who would be the misunderstood outsider? Jar Jar? :)
    Even the most obvious choice, Spielberg, still has a hit and miss track record. If he made a Star Wars movie like The Lost World or Hook, I'd never forgive him.

21. Harlowe Thrombey

Harlowe Thrombey Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    Peter Jackson can't direct to save his life? That's funny. You're joking right?

22. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    George is the best man for the job.

23. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

I agree with you.

But still it's fun to think of Vader in Episode III having scissors for hands!

j/k

24. Samurai-Jack

Samurai-Jack Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 9, 2001
    What about David Fincher the director of Se7en?

25. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    I was actually about to bring about David Fincher as well. Though, his films are generally much slower paced than your average SW movie

Burton, as much as I love the guy's work, just wouldn't fit into the SW universe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.