Tim Burton would be perfect to direct EPISODE III

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Darthkarma, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthkarma Jedi Master

star 4

Yes, it would be interesting to see the director of Seven, The Fight Club and the upcoming Panic Room in the STAR WARS galaxy.
    I think for a time in his younger days Fincher briefly worked for ILM, but I wouldn't swear to it. Does anyone know for sure?

Back to Burton, I just had a funny thought,
    if he DID direct Episode III, would he be contractually required to wear flannel plaid shirts? Burton prefers black, you know, ;0.
  2. AnakinSlave Jedi Knight

star 3
    No Tim Burton! He would make Natalie wear a blonde wig and recite stupid dialog.
  3. Darthkarma Jedi Master

star 4

LOL, good one...I take it you're referring to Christina Ricci in SLEEPY HOLLOW.

I'll bet he'd find a way to stick his lady in there somewhere. He always finds a place for Lisa Marie to do some bizarre cameo. It's the contractually obligated..."hey, I know this girl, can we put her in the movie" routine.
  4. Samurai-Jack Jedi Master

star 2
    Here is the information from IMDB concerning Fincher: Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983) (assistant cameraman: miniature and optical effects unit).
  5. DarthHomer Force Ghost

star 5
    "No Tim Burton! He would make Natalie wear a blonde wig and recite stupid dialog. "

As opposed to having her wear a stupid hairdo and recite boring dialogue, like she did in TPM? ;)
    "I'll bet he'd find a way to stick his lady in there somewhere. He always finds a place for Lisa Marie to do some bizarre cameo. It's the contractually obligated..."hey, I know this girl, can we put her in the movie" routine.

Actually, Burton and Lisa Marie are splitsville. He's with Helena Bonham Carter now, so he'd give her the cameo. Possibly as an uppercrust Bothan :)

I think that Lucas is a better storyteller and action director, while Burton has a better visual style and usually gets better performances out of his actors. Now, if you could combine their talents, that would be some movie!
  6. yodaman Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I wouldn't say Burton has a better visual style. Is he more stylish? Yes, but I don't equate that to being better. Let's just say that Burton is grandly stylish while Lucas is simply grand.
  7. Cyan_Dawn Jedi Knight

star 3
    "Burton has a better visual style"

I completely disagree with that. Burton has a campy visual style - good for what he always does. Which of course is dark, yet goofy carnival/clown stuff. He's not even in the same category as Lucas. Lucas is infinitely better at action and conveying information than Burton is. He's also better at getting great shots.

I don't understand the people that want another director to come in - especially bad or stylistic directors. Doing weird camera tricks does not a good director (or directing style) make. If Lucas needed someone to step in, it would just have to be someone that understands the simple, practicle style established by all of these movies. Thank God for that style. With Star Wars I can at least watch an action sequence without worrying about the camera shaking, splintering edits, slow motion, overdone establishing shots (LOTR comes in mind for all of these mistakes), or campy closeups. If I really had to choose someone to direct Ep3 (other than Lucas), I would probably choose Mel Gibson. Braveheart had a nice, simple look and there's no doubt Mel can handle a battle scene or sword fight.
  8. DarthHomer Force Ghost

star 5
    "I completely disagree with that. Burton has a campy visual style"

Not always. Remember one of the main reasons that his Batman was such a success was because it was the complete opposite of the campy style of the TV series. Burton definitely has a more distinctive style than Lucas. Watch the first five minutes of any Burton film and you can tell who's directed it. Lucas's style is more naturalistic and less noticable.
    BTW, I'm not saying either director is better, or that Burton would be a good choice to direct a Star Wars film (I don't believe he would be). But it's not fair to write him off as a campy visual stylist and nothing more.
  9. Ayla_Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    hehehehe please don't put that idea into my boyfriends head or he will make sure George does get Tim to get involved
  10. augusto Jedi Master

star 4
    Tim Burton do Star Wars ?

What the heck are you people talking about, didn't you see "Planet of the Apes". ACK !!!
  11. Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree with augusto. Burton's not an action director. As for the people gushing over David Fincher, didn't you see Alien 3?
  12. jamesdrax Force Ghost

star 6
    David Fincher himself admits that he hated Alien 3.
  13. OffHisHead Jedi Knight

I love Ridley Scott, but unless you wanna see a shot in Episode III of a unicorn running around for no apparent reason, I'd stay far far away from the idea of him directing.
  14. jamesdrax Force Ghost

star 6
    What a coincidence, Ridley Scott said that he hated Legend as well.
  15. OffHisHead Jedi Knight

That's one down, what about the director's cut of Bladerunner?
  16. jamesdrax Force Ghost

star 6
    INHO, Blade Runner was a really bad movie.

:p ;)
  17. Darthkarma Jedi Master

star 4

Good God, is this thread still alive? I'd forgotten all about it!

Well, if Burton did do it (and I know he won't) he'd have experience directing Christopher Lee. Lee's brief cameo in SLEEPY HOLLOW was really cool.
  18. Sabersparx Jedi Knight

star 1
    The topic title insults me as a Star Wars fan and film enthusiast alike.

In case you didn't know, Tim Burton is absolute crap. His -ONLY- good film is Batman, and Edward Scissorhands had great atmosphere going for it. Other than that, his films are absolute turkey feces.

Please don't ever say anything absurd like this ever again.

I also want to say that although I sounded harsh to the topic starter, I in NO way directly meant that as "I hate you now what a stupid opinion" or "I think you're lame and yadda yadda yadda." No. I just think, well...that's a bad idea, lol.
    ;)

I mean- Tim Burton and Star Wars? WTF? That's like letting Brendan Fraser play a Sith Lord or something.

@_@

"Burton isn't a film director, he's an art director. And Burton and Jackson both suck at action."

As much as I usually agree with you, I couldn't disagree more. I'm a true Star Wars whore, but LOTR was an amazing film that had some of the best action sequences in film history. The mines of Moriar sequence was brilliant. Especially the part on the bridge.

And yes I'll agree, I don't think Burton knows what action means.
    :)
  19. Darth Kimball Jedi Master

star 2
    Ignoring the tripe that was the Planet of the Apes remake, Burton knows how to pull off a certain air of darkness. However, it's always a whimsical darkness. It would not be right for Episode III at all... in fact, sometimes I wonder why they didn't approach Burton for the Harry Potter films.

Fincher's definitely got the darkness in place, and I love the dynamism that he injects into every shot, but it's far too modern a visual style for the wide, sweeping establishing shots and big fat wipes that defines Star Wars. Fincher would be great for Episode III if it weren't so potentially inconsistent with the rest of the saga, visually speaking.

I'd suggest Terry Gilliam, except his work is usually more cerebral in the Kubrickian sense... not right for the very "overt" and Spielbergian feel of the Star Wars films that reveals more than conceals.

Luc Besson's name has been brought up before, but see above re: Fincher.

Peter Jackson. He is the man. Not necessarily for Star Wars, but he's like... a George Lucas who knows how to manage actors.
  20. Adali-Kiri Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm continually amazed at how people slag Burton off as a bad director. Beetlejuice? Batman? Batman Returns? Edward Scissorhands? Ed Wood? Sleepy Hollow? These are all great movies. Planet of the Apes sucked, yes. Mars Attacks didn't cut it for me, but Portman sure didn't wear a blonde wig and recite stupid dialogue in it.

Batman Returns is one of the best sequels ever. Great meaty plot, stunning visuals, intruiging characters (in a cartoon-like movie!) and fabulous cinematography. A movie with a shining darkness that you won't see many other places. Gee, give the guy some credit even if he doesnt bother with the crowd-pleasing James Cameron style action sequences...
  21. SithLegion Jedi Knight

star 2
    Are you kidding everything he touches he ruins!
  22. Adali-Kiri Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, I'm only kidding. Of course.
  23. vaderlater Jedi Youngling

Hey wake up people is Irvin Kirshner still alive? nuff said
  24. vaderlater Jedi Youngling

25. TheCaptain Jedi Knight

star 1
    Just out of sentimental reasons I would hate to see anyone but George do Episode 3. It's going to be his last Star Wars movie ever and I personally would prefer him in the directors chair rather than anyone else.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.