main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tim Burton would be perfect to direct EPISODE III

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Darthkarma, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alent1234

alent1234 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2002
    I think GL should write the story and have real writers pen the screenplay and a real director direct it.

2. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    As opposed to an unreal director like Lucas...?

Kimball; I share your admiration for Peter Jackson, but I think it's utterly unfair to call him "a George Lucas who knows how to manage actors". I agree that Jackson got better performances out of the cast in Fellowship than Lucas did with the cast of TPM, but Jackson is making a movie based on someone else's genius - Tolkien. He was the one who created Lord of the Rings, not Peter Jackson. George Lucas on the other hand, he created the entire Star Wars universe. Imho, there shouldn't be made any comparisons here.

3. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Why not get Burton to just direct the Sith scenes in Episode III? Nobody does "dark" better than him. And while I love Lucas's work, I doubt he could ever direct a love story as moving as Edward Scissorhands. I may eat my words when I see AOTC, though :)

4. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    I wish Stanly Kubrick was still alive. Now he knew how to direct all types of films.

Tim Burton is a master filmmaker. Not the right man for Star Wars though. But don't say he can't direct action. The first Batman was and still is the best comic book action film ever.

Peter Jackson is great. Still his action style is not the same as SW.

Kubrick is the only other person other than GL that I could see directing Ep3. But sadly that can't happen.

5. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    I have believed since the beginning of this PT adventure that Lucas will deliver his best ever work as a director with the final SW movie, and I still stand by that. Spielberg said he thought the directing in AotC was great, btw.

6. OffHisHead

OffHisHead Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2002
    I was thinking about this topic earlier today when some ideas came to mind. First off, nobody in my opinion is better suited to direct Episode 3 than Lucas. However, should he decide to pass the reins on to someone else, I'm highly skeptical of both Burton and Fincher. True, Episode 3 will have darker content, but that doesn't mean that the visual style of the film should be darker. It's gotta be a Star Wars movie, not Fincher's or Burton's or Jackson's version of a Star Wars movie

7. OffHisHead

OffHisHead Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2002
    So who'd I think would be a worthy alternative to Lucas as director? Ang Lee. Lemme explain why....
    He's versatile for one. He's done drama (The Ice Storm), period piece films (Sense & Sensibility), Action/martial-arts (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon), and now he's making a special-effects summer movie (The Hulk). All of these elements in one form or another are in Star Wars films. He gets great performances from his actors, something Lucas has been lacking in. And the movie would look fantastic. George has always put several different environments in the movies, (swamp planet, ice planet, dessert planet, forest planet, etc) Lee has the ability to make these environments look cinematically grand. The scenery and scope during parts of 'Crouching' and 'Sense' were breathtaking. A vision that's rarely been seen since the days of filmmakers like John Ford and David Lean. I'm just completely convinced he'd be the right guy for the job. Aside from George, of course.

8. Darth Kimball

Darth Kimball Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2000
    "Kimball; I share your admiration for Peter Jackson, but I think it's utterly unfair to call him "a George Lucas who knows how to manage actors". I agree that Jackson got better performances out of the cast in Fellowship than Lucas did with the cast of TPM, but Jackson is making a movie based on someone else's genius - Tolkien. He was the one who created Lord of the Rings, not Peter Jackson. George Lucas on the other hand, he created the entire Star Wars universe. Imho, there shouldn't be made any comparisons here."

Agreed. I was just comparing them in terms of their visual goals as directors. As in, they both aim for sweeping macroscopic establishment of environments, yet possess a knack for microscopic detail. In the detail aspect, however, Lucas tends not to focus on the nuances of performing quite so much.

I'm not saying one is better than another necessarily, I'm just drawing parallels between their respective foci.

I think Lucas' true mastery lies in developing the plot, the characters, and the universe of his mythos in general. He has a definite vision. That lies mostly in the pre-production.

9. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

That's an awesome thought. The idea of the legendary and awesome Stanley Kubrick directing Episode III. Of all the STAR WARs episodes, since that's the darkest it would be the most in sync with Kubrick's sensibilities.

Unfortunately, given Kubrick's work pace, if he were resurrected from the dead to direct the next episode, it would probably not be ready in 2005.

Maybe 2012.

10. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    As much as Kubrick is my all-time favourite director, I wouldn't agree with his style being in a SW film. I mean, we'd be seeing space-orgies, Anakin's erotic journey from marrage to lust, Obi-Wan going around the Naboo palace with an axe, Tusken Raiders being clockwork oranged by Jabba the Hutt.

Plus we'd be seeing some naked Padme, vile rape scenes in the Corasant nightclub. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if scenes with Palpy were as comical as Dr. Strangelove.

Palpy: "There is no fighting in here! This is a war room!"

11. Lakota

Lakota Jedi Youngling

Mar 2, 2002
    Tim Burton and Starwars? Are you insaine?

12. Darth23

Darth23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
    hee hee

Well I liked Beetlejuice anyway. Loved Ed Wood. Nightmare Before Christmas was cool too. I really should watch Batman one day. :p

Not that I'd let Burton/Elfman get within a hunderd miles of a Star Wars film.

>:^}

13. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    You haven't seen Batman??? [face_shocked]
    Run right out and rent Batman (89) and Batman Returns (92)!!! And throw in Sleepy Hollow (99) if you haven't seen it!
    Those are 3 of my favourite films. Awesome worlds and characters, brilliantly dark and gothic moods, etc.

Recommended!

14. NORTHSTAR

NORTHSTAR Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2002
    Burton would be good! Batman was a master piece.

I still think the hottest new director in hollywood is M. Night Shyamalan. This young genius is the "real deal" and I have no doubts that he would capture the true darkness of Darth Vader better than just about anyone. It wouldn't surprise me if Shyalaman is in films today because of the influences of directors such as George Lucas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.