main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC Tim Zahn - two bookstore events in your area

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by DelReyPublicity, Nov 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Yeah, but I wanna go on Sunday to Frederick where it is closer.

2. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    but you can hang with us on Saturday

3. Isbeth

Aug 28, 2001
    So I am going twice? I would like to hang with you. When it comes to Zahn, I gotta side with Teh Genghis, strange as it may seem. I am not a big Zahn fan despite the fact that he used my grandparents name for one of his characters.

4. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    Isbeth...have you read his Conqueror's Trilogy?

Manta's Gift?

Angelmass?

The Icarus Hunt?

Excellent books.

5. Isbeth

Aug 28, 2001
    Yeah, everybody tells me he writes better sci-fi than SW. People seem to like Angelmass. What is Icarus Hunt about? The asteroid? :confused:

6. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    The Icarus Hunt is about a ship...and a guy who is much like Han Solo.

It is very good.

I plan on bringing some of his other books to try and get signed...

7. Nave

Nave Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2002
    Hey all,
    I'm trying to get people from the Norfolk and Richmond FFs interested in a road trip up to Arlington. I'm going regardless so I'll see you all there :D

Nave

8. Darth_Stalker

Darth_Stalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2002
    Cool. What day would you guys have more time---the 7th or the 8th? I was down in your neck of the woods yesterday :D

9. Nave

Nov 5, 2002
    Still working on generating interest. Got possibly 3 people (plus me). (Oh also I posted the message on Holocron Productions (www.holocronproductions.com)

I'm thinking best would be to leave Saturday early morning to get up there with plenty of time alotted for weekend traffic and to get some lunch and what not.

Not sure if going to turn right around after Zahn or stay over night and do some DC stuff.

See what people think who go heh :D

I'll probably wear my Jedi outfit (just an excuse to do so lol) and bring a pair of civies along to change into afterwards :D

10. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    "civies" Why do I get the distinct impression I'm talking to a federal military guy?

You guys have got to try to stay overnight if possible. DC has a lot of interesting stuff to see.

11. fakename99

fakename99 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    DC has a lot of interesting stuff to see.

It sure does, we have the homeless, the hobos and the bums.

12. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    Don't forget the alcholics, hookers and coke heads... and we've just been talking about the politicians.

13. Nave

Nov 5, 2002
    <Rim shot> :D

Nah not a military guy yet but I just use Civies when I'm talking about normal clothes :D

It'll all depend on how many people go, who's interested in staying over, and when people need to be back by.

I'll keep you all posted :D

Nave

14. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    :cool:

more FFers that I get to meet.

15. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    just started to realize where Frederick, MD is...I am not doing that.

just the VA book signing.

Error: Only 1 message post per minute is allowed.

16. DelReyPublicity

DelReyPublicity Del Rey Asst. Director of Publicity star 1 VIP

May 13, 2002
    Hi gang -

I noticed that the idiots at the Washington Post have listed the Arlington event at 7:00 PM --please note that this is NOT CORRECT. The Arlington event is still at 4:00 PM.

Argh....

Colleen @ Del Rey

17. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Olsson's website also says 7 pm. Or it did last week.

18. Nave

Nov 5, 2002
    Colleen,

Do you know if Tim Zahn will sign stuff other then his most recent book? Like what his policy is? I am buying Survivor's Quest at the store but would like to get Tim Zahn to sign an NJO hat I got :D

Nave

19. Midi-ChlorianLori

Midi-ChlorianLori Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 2003
    I scouted the location of the signing over the weekend and have better directions and details on parking to help everyone get there.

The signing starts at 4 PM at Olsson's Books and Records at 2111 Wilson Blvd. in Arlington, VA.

The bookstore is located on Wilson Blvd. between Veitch Street and Uhle Street. Please note that if you look it up on Mapquest, it totally misses that
    Wilson Blvd. is a one-way street. You need to turn right onto Clarendon Blvd. eastbound off of Courthouse Road, turn left onto Rhodes Street, and then left again onto Wilson Blvd. to get to the
    bookstore. For those of you who are totally confused at this point, detailed directions follow.

Olsson's Books and Records
    2111 Wilson Boulevard
    Arlington, VA 22201
    Books: (703) 525-4227
    Store is located right by Courthouse Metro stop

Directions from Beltway via I-395:
    (From Richmond: Take I-95 North to I-395 North, then follow directions below)
    Take I-495 to I-395 North
    Merge onto WASHINGTON BLVD/VA-27 W via exit number 8A toward VA-244/COLUMBIA PIKE
    Merge onto ARLINGTON BLVD/US-50 E toward WASHINGTON
    Take the ramp toward COURT HOUSE ROAD
    Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto N COURTHOUSE RD
    Turn right onto Clarendon Blvd.
    Turn left onto Rhodes Street
    Turn LEFT onto WILSON BLVD
    End at 2111 WILSON BLVD ARLINGTON VA

You can also take the Beltway to Rt. 50 Eastbound, and then exit on Court House Road as described above. There are a lot of stoplights on Route 50 before you reach Court House Road, however.

Parking:

I would recommend parking at the Arlington County Administrative Center parking garage located on the 2100 block of Clarendon Blvd. To get there, pass the bookstore and Veitch Street and make a u-turn so you are proceeding eastbound on Clarendon Blvd. The parking garage will be on your right at 2100/2200/2300 Clarendon Blvd. There is metered parking which is free on Saturdays according to the
    signs on the meters. The parking garage is only about 2-3 blocks from the store.

There is also metered parking on the street in front of the store and on the side streets, but you have to pay for those meters on Saturdays, so bring quarters just in case.

Attendance is expected to be large, and there is not that much room in the store itself. It would be wise to dress warmly in case you have to spend time waiting outside the store.

I hope that this information is helpful. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. This should be an excellent event, and I hope to see you on Saturday!

-Midi-ChlorianLori
    Garrison Tyranus
    501st Legion of Stormtroopers

20. Nave

Nov 5, 2002
    Thank ye kindly for those good directions! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.