main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Time for Skywalker Saga to end?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarWarsFan91, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
  2. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    I don't think the Skywalker lineage should end, but they shouldn't be the top hero or villain. I would like to see the main characters in future projects to not have any lineage to the Skywalkers, but I would like to see the Skywalker lineage in the future training and being strong in the force.

3. Annikin Starkiller

Annikin Starkiller Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2017
    Having the ST so centered on the Skywalker family feels wrong, it feels like all what happens to a whole galaxy depends on the Skywalker family mood. IMO, Skywalker family adventures should have ended with ROTJ, wich was a perfect conclusiĆ³n.

An Old Republic trilogy would have been better, cause is so distanced in time from the PT and the OT that Disney could have done literally anything withouth afecting the events already told on the other 2 trilogies.

4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I don't think so.

I think the main films should always have a Skywalker.

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    They could have a Skywalker in a Yoda role, in a random Council-member role, in a Padawan role (but not the focus), as a Senator, as a pilot, as a mechanic, etc.

6. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I would hope the Skywalker saga ends at 9. It's a large galaxy, surely there are other families we could focus on.

7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Obviously, the PT, OT and ST map exactly to Snake Eater, Metal Gear Solid and Sons of Liberty.

Ergo where the OT was about the Skywalker genes, the ST will be about the Skywalker memes, as best exemplified by Rey(den).

As for episodes X-XII?

8. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I actually believe that the Skywalker line should have ended with Luke and Leia. Anakin was the real hero who fulfilled the Prophecy and brought Balance. Luke can rebuild the Jedi but once he's done that, his task is complete. There's no need for a Force-strong Skywalker Dynasty. Sooner or later one of them always falls into darkness and brings harm to the Galaxy.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    There's also the legacy of Shmi, Padme, Han, the Lars, the Organa's, etc.

10. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I'm an advocate for the trilogy of trilogies saga to end, and then to begin a new numbered Saga, perhaps set 1000 years in the past, with a (mostly) new slate of characters. Some of the rough sketches of this period have already been sketched (Bane, the Sith takeover of Coruscant,Maz was still around, etc). Would be a fantastic brand new era to open up with brand spanking new characters and content whose futures would be completely in flux. Could also set some new mythology in motion that could eventually emerge in a Sequel Saga.

A way to do a new KOTOR/SWTOR-type setting that people enjoy without needing to rehash anything at all, re-tell old stories, and be completely fresh.

Plus, going backwards would totally work with the existing Star Wars Saga tradition!

Started with 456, then went backwards in timeline to make 123. Then they went forwards in timeline to make 789. Us this as the model.

If you consider the whole Skywalker Saga like 456, the next step would to make a Prequel Saga, followed by a Sequel Saga.

And continue this pattern, going leaps forwards and leaps backwards in regular intervals. Be a cool way to keep the legacy fresh, and organically open up new stories, and continue to build on the past, and future potential.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  11. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Regardless of keeping a Skywalker presence (I think they need to personally) the SW universe needs a Thanos like character in order to justify more and more Saga films. It also would likely help them not to be rehashes of each other. Personally I would love a Vong style presence.

12. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Since TLJ is clearly getting into more past Lore (Ach-to, potentially the Journal of the Whills), RO introduced the idea of Jedha and teased more about ancient Force Traditions, and because it's likely we'll be learning about some more Ancient Stuff out in the Unknown Regions, going backwards to flesh out some of this stuff and to set in motion some Big Event that would resonate with what we know of the Saga films, and create material ripe for the picking in a Future Era seems a pretty decent pathway.

Scapro Tyler likes this.
  13. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    On that note, if the Skywalker saga ends like this. I will salute... NO ITS NOT CRYING ITS JUST THE RAIN.

14. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I know I've said this before, but I wouldn't mind it if the saga films take a break and let some of the books have their time in the sun. So I would be totally cool with the Skywalker saga ending once Episode Nine comes out. Then maybe have a new saga later on that features a new character, maybe even a Skywalker, they wouldn't need to go into too much detail about how there is a new Skywalker since the fans who have been keeping up on the EU will already know, but the movie only fans will not, and who knows, it might convince people that there is more to the story than just the movies and it could convince them to branch out, or it could end in flames and the critics will blame the studios and not themselves.

15. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    Personally, I can live without another trilogy focusing on the Skywalkers. After Episode 9, their time in the sun should end. Honestly, I would be okay with a few years of decent standalone movies before we start on another trilogy. I agree with previous posters that, in a galaxy of countless billions, there are other dynasties worth exploring

I would also like to see the next trilogy set in the Old Republic. This would allow directors the freedom to get really creative and to sink their teeth into some serious world-building. I wouldn't object to the occasional character with the surname Skywalker, but I wouldn't want to see any more than that.

This reminds me of something I once read in Legends (I think it was in The Courtship of Princess Leia). Luke uses the force to levitate and one of the characters wonders if that was how his ancestors earned the name Skywalker. Maybe touching on a detail like that would be cool.

16. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    Personally I would like to see the Skywalker saga to conclude. IMO Return of the Jedi was an exceptional wrap -- and while I am hopefully optimist for TLJ and IX, I think Disney was flirting with continuing the Skywalker saga to far. I think running it much farther past the ST could start to depreciate the purity of ROTJ's ending.

However, If I had to guess... I think Disney keeps the Skywalker story alive. Considering they just spent $4b in the acquisition, I think it unlikely they write off when of the most recognizable names in cinema history (Skywalker). I believe some form of Skywalker will have an influence on an additional trilogy.

For the direction I would like to see them go? I have always wanted to see them do something more pronounced with the Old Republic. That time period is basically a blank slate (with the canon restart) and I think it would give writers more maneuverability (as the OP alluded to), especially in the extended universe. I like the books, comics, etc that are coming out now, but a lot of it is filling gaps, which means characters cant necessarily be added to.

17. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    I say end it at IX as well.

Rey and the new heroes stories can still continue in a new trilogy or saga, the narrative can go forward, but let the Skywalker Saga be the trilogy of trilogies.

OT = story of father and son
    PT = story of the father as a son (with his father/mentor figures Qui-Gon, Palpatine)
    ST = story of the son as a father (with his own surrogate children/student figures Rey, maybe Kylo/Ben?)

Plus Luke is the last Skywalker in name and, depending what happens to with Kylo/Ben and how they write out Leia in IX, possibly bloodline. It just makes sense to wrap up the saga with IX.

18. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    There are always 2 to 3 Skywalkers in a film. I think it'll be going on for a while.

Episode 1: 2 Skywalkers - Shmi & Anakin
    Episode 2: 2 Skywalkers - Anakin & Padme (marriage)
    Episode 3: 3 Skywalkers - Luke & Leia & Vader
    Episode 4: 3 Skywalkers - Luke & Leia & Vader
    Episode 5: 3 Skywalkers - Luke & Leia & Vader
    Episode 6: 3 Skywalkers - Luke & Leia & Anakin
    Episode 7: 2.5 Skywalkers - Luke & Leia & Kylo Ren / Ben Solo
    Episode 8: 2.5 Skywalkers - Luke & Leia & Kylo Ren / Ben Solo

19. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Hopefully writers/directors will be realistic with regards to how the Kylo/Ben storyline needs to end. Mass Murder = Death Penalty...and that is if he is somehow captured alive.

Unfortunately there is this delusion that Luke suffered from (and it looks like Leia too in TFA) that by turning away from the Dark Side means all is forgiven. What did Luke expect to happen...he saves his dad and brings him back to the fleet and says..."no...this isn't Vader anymore...this is my father Anakin. He is not responsible for anything that Vader did." and then everyone is all sweetness and light an forgives him??

Nope...sorry...as soon as Vader's foot hit the deck he would have been arrested, prosecuted and executed for a great may horrendous crimes.

Same with Kylo. Some things you just can't walk away from. Needs to die. And apparently after Luke, Leia and Kylo...there are no more Skywalkers. Considering that family seems to go evil every other generation...best thing to do is to end the bloodline.

20. Pacified_llama

Pacified_llama Jedi Master star 3

Sep 15, 2017
    This is all to do with how the name "Skywalker" is considered integral to what Star Wars is. Some people believe you can't have Star Wars without it - I am sure Lucas would have agreed, not that his opinion is of particular import now.

It's a great irony that having the Skywalker legacy go on and on runs at odds with the move to make the whole of the ST a soft reboot of the franchise. Sort of a contradiction in terms.

My worry is that with the passage of time it will simply become uninteresting - the ST isn't there to give answers to burning questions of the fandom or indeed of any previous work - it is there because a corporate decision was made to re-energize the franchise. I'd say that no piece of entertainment can survive by becoming repetitive and unoriginal - but sadly this is not the case with a whole swathe of blockbusters that have hit the theaters for the last 30 years.

21. KamenSentaiMetalHero

KamenSentaiMetalHero Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2017
    I think The Skywalker Saga should end with IX and they should do an entirely new Saga

22. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think it's an awful thing they've set up as I read the books because of the Skywalker-Solos.

23. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Make one wonder can the Skysolo thing be done without becoming self consuming like the EU did. It's funny all the arguing that is going on with "The Last Jedi" reminds me of what early on in New Jedi Order.

What are the Jedi suppose to be, the use of the force in every day life, all that jazz.

24. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I do think the Skywalker saga will end. I'm just not seeing Ben Solo walking off into the sunset and getting married and having kids. The only way this happens is if he becomes a new Emperor and starts a dynasty. And even then, I have a feeling he'll go the Plagueis route and try to live forever.

25. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Should've ended already. I'd want Luke to be an old war hero looking up as the galaxy goes on without him. The saving the galaxy shtick should've been their good ol days in the OT.