main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST "Time for the Jedi to end {insert here}"

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chiaroscuro Side, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Given the emphasis on those books (Journal of the Whills perhaps) & Luke's seclusion & study, perhaps he believes it's time to evolve into something beyond the Jedi Order. Something stronger & less corruptible. The line may not be as pessimistic as people think.

2. Chiaroscuro Side

Chiaroscuro Side Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 3, 2016

Grammatically it can stand alone. But I am willing to bet that it is part of a larger context. How many credits you want to wager? Or do you prefer something more "real"? ;)

MrElculver2424 likes this.
  3. DL44Jo

DL44Jo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 7, 2014
    I don't believe he was saying this is what he thinks will happen or even hopes will happen. I think he's just suggesting another way that line could be added to to mean something else - that's the real purpose of this thread, I think.

4. Chiaroscuro Side

Jan 3, 2016
    Imagine that you are a wise teacher. One who knows that there are things in the past which will hurt this potential student to learn, if he begins this path. Not only that, you are a teacher who can see into the future, and all the suffering and heartbreak the student will have.

Now tell me that you would not do your best to dissuade that student, to make them prove they are willing, and take ownership of all the hardship to come.

Wildcatbarry and Ricardo Funes like this.
  5. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015

I understand what you are talking, but you have to agree that Yoda was reluctant.

It was not just "I will test him just to see how he reacts"....

My point is that Luke may be reluctant to teach Rey in the Jedi dogma.

Many here are making such confusion, there are 4 different things:

1) JEDI
    2) SITH
    3) LIGHT SIDE
    4) DARK SIDE

It is possible to be a Force user of the Light Side, and not be a Jedi. This is the point.

MrElculver2424 likes this.
  6. Chiaroscuro Side

Jan 3, 2016
    Yikes I hope not. "Stronger and less corruptible" means "far Stronger and more evil" when the inevitable fall eventually happens. I am hoping that Luke realizes that it was the strength and incorruptibility of the Jedi that were part of the problem.

7. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    ...exactly...the Force is an energy. The Jedi and the Sith are just groups of people who use the Force who created a set of common guidelines and goals. Totally separate things.

The light side of the Force is like democracy. There are numerous installed governments who use democracy...
    Dark side like dictatorship. Numerous different governments who use dictatorships...
    Any one can end at any time.

8. ArchStanton1862

ArchStanton1862 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2014
    I'm not hearing "it's time for the Jedi to end" as a sentence fragment. It seems pretty clear from the visual cues that this was the end of the sentence, or at least the beginning of a long pause. But why would you pause there? That said, I doubt the line before it ("there is one truth I know") is most likely from a completely different context. Which means he may well be saying something more like "maybe it's time for the Jedi to end" or something equally despairing, rather than a bold statement of intent.

Wildcatbarry and Jedi danny like this.
  9. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014

The Jedi were too strong and incorruptible and that is why they fell? Huh?

10. LoneRaider

LoneRaider Jedi Padawan

May 22, 2014
    Kinda a summary of what some how discussed already.

I think something to consider is that this is not about the whole idea of Grey Jedi or what not..

My opinion is, the Jedi have consistently been fooled, etc by the dark side because they have worked so hard to avoid it / understand it.

Rey may be a new type of "force warrior" so to speak under Luke's training.

To be able to defeat my enemy is to understand my enemy...

Something the Jedi have failed at time and again.

Oblivious to Palpatine in the PT and Luke oblivious to Kylo Ren (his own nephew) coming to destroy his new Jedi order.

For thought, Luke may mean, time understand the otherside, not dismiss it and that the old Jedi way has to end.

Therefore, what comes after the Jedi, is something new that considers teachings from both sides but chooses to act on the good side but also stays in touch the dark.

11. Chiaroscuro Side

Jan 3, 2016

I agree with that. I just hope his reluctance is reflective of the wisdom he has gained (as was the case with Yoda) as opposed to despair and a desire to give up.

That is not why the Jedi fell, but it does say things about how bad it was when they finally did. The Jedi were powerful, so the Sith needed to be powerful to take them down. The more powerful I am, the more powerful my foes have to be. And the whole "no attachments" thing is clearly an attempt to make themselves incorruptible. We saw how well that turned out with Anakin.

MrElculver2424 and Ricardo Funes like this.
  12. DarthVerm

DarthVerm Jedi Master

Feb 1, 2013
    Time for the Jedi to end...the Toronto Blue Jays losing streak!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  13. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    The only truth I know is it's time for the Jedi to end the debate over Rey's ancestry.

14. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
  15. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Pablo Hidalgo@pablohidalgos
    I don't get the 'gray Jedi' thing. You're either a Jedi or you're not. It's like being a 'gray vegetarian' who eats meat.

DL44Jo, TheBBP and JediLight like this.
  16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    "It's time for the Jedi to end all this speculation about a line given without context in a trailer." :p

Really, though, I don't think this is a fragment. I think this is a complete statement that is either early in the movie and is delivered before Rey convinces him to reconsider, OR it truly reflects a carefully thought out plan to move beyond what he now sees as limitations that the concept of "Jedi" had restricting it... to evolve into something more advanced and more in tune with the Force.

17. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015

Exactly, I don't see why so many people are overreacting because OMG Disney is going to kill the Jedi, yada yada yada....

The Jedi are just a religion that had an interpretation of the Force. They maybe were not 100% right. It does not mean that there will be no Light Side Force users. Just that maybe Luke understands that he needs to create a new type of interpretation of the Force.

18. Chiaroscuro Side

Jan 3, 2016
    Eh, it seems an obvious fragment to me. But I am an easy to please SW fan. Gimme some well motivated and choreographed light saber scenes, some slimey and/or horrible villains, chase the MF around a bit, and I will be happy.

19. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Its time for the Jedi to end Sith.

20. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Hey guys, are we still freaking out about Disney stripping Jedi, Sith and the Light/Dark side of the force from the mythos?

I want to give this more likes, but I cannot.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  21. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    It's time for the Jedi to end... and now we will have a Jedi Going Out of Business Sale! Buy now! Supplies are limited (as in just me and the girl).

Chiaroscuro Side likes this.
  22. Bob Arctor

Bob Arctor Jedi Youngling

Mar 31, 2017
    It just means that this story will end in ep IX.

If there is a X, it will be in a different time period.

23. Plan741

Plan741 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 22, 2015

I believe Luke really feels this way when this scene takes place. He has lost hope and may feel that the force is no longer with him to any demonstrable effect, I think Rey will hopefully help him to return to the force, The galaxy needs the Jedi. TFA said as much in the opening scene.

24. Stiff

Stiff Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2015
    According to IMDB it is Kylo Ren who says this, not Luke..
    It says so under their quotes list. However, I do believe it is actually Luke speaking.

lawton likes this.
  25. Plan741

Plan741 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 22, 2015
    IMDB is notorious for mixing up things. The sound of Lukes voice is inconsistent. i thought it was the video quality, but it is Hamill who says "to end".

lawton likes this.