main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST "Time for the Jedi to end {insert here}"

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chiaroscuro Side, Apr 14, 2017.

1. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015

Yep pretty sure some splicing is going on with those statements.

2. DL44Jo

DL44Jo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 7, 2014
    Wouldn't surprise me. It's been nice that the trailers for the new Star Wars movies have been giving us a good taste without really spoiling us.

3. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I can see some major arguments between Luke and Yoda, whether they happen in the film or off screen in any prologue novels. Yoda the traditionalist wants the Jedi to rebuild as before, following his mantra. But Luke wants to adapt, cut out the mistakes that had befallen Anakin and himself.

themoth likes this.
  4. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Indeed. Luke finding out the Jedi strayed from their original path would be true to the spirt of the Classic Trilogy in the sense Luke found out a big secret - that Vader was his father, and he was upset with Obi-Wan for not telling him.

5. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012

The Jedi became everything it shouldn't be, the order became mired in hypocrisy and true meaning of the Jedi became lost the more Jedi like Yoda and Obi-Wan tried to protect the order.

6. odin1981

odin1981 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 31, 2016
    I've seen the trailer a few times and I personally think there is some misdirection going on. I believe at the end of the shot it is a picture of Luke but I'm not entirely sure it is Luke's voice that we hear say that line. It could very well be a new character in confrontation with a certain someone at a later time in the movie potentially.

7. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    The way I interpreted it was pretty literal. To me the trailer seemed to be hinting that Luke, through his search into the ancient lore of the Jedi and the Force, has come to the conclusion that the Jedi Order had lost it's way. He's already been through the process of trying to train a new generation of Jedi and had it blow up in his face, just as the old order had fallen prey to the conflict between Dark and Light at the hands of Sidious and Vader. Clearly something is fundamentally wrong with the Jedi path. We're shown images of ancient books while Luke tells us that 'It's so much bigger' than the 'light' and 'darkness' that Rey is talking about.

The Jedi of the old Republic repressed their emotions and shunned love and attachment, whereas it was love that helped Luke defeat the Emperor and redeem his father; something his mentors had deemed impossible. Perhaps Luke, in the events following Return of the Jedi, initially set about doing as Yoda had instructed, training the next generation of Jedi, only to see it fail, at which point he decided it was time to delve deep into the past, only to find that everything his mentors had taught him about the Force was fundamentally flawed. This was why they had failed. Now, Luke is going to abandon the Jedi path and resolve the conflict between dark and light and bring them into harmony with one another. Perhaps. I think this is going to tie directly into the conflict inside of Kylo. Perhaps under this new understanding of the Force, Kylo and Rey will be able to unite and bring Snoke down together in IX.

So yes. I think it is time for the Jedi to end.

8. Jedi Dai Wen

Jedi Dai Wen Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 10, 2014
  9. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Kylo shows up
    Kylo:"I'm here to end the Jedi."
    Luke:"Sorry nephew, I ended the Jedi like 5 minutes ago. And I finished what my father started."
    Kylo:"oh, what am I supposed to do now that my life goal has ended?"

evil Luke confirmed!!! Hey if he has the same objectives as Kylo and Snoke.:p

10. HaloBurn

HaloBurn Jedi Knight

Jun 9, 2015
    So, the end of the Jedi and the rise of the Bendu?

Is the next film going to be called return, rise or revenge of the Bendu?

11. DarkMark

DarkMark Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 6, 2002
    Fascinated by where they're going to take this, but first of all - I don't think Lucasfilm will do away with the idea of Jedi. It's too central to Lucas's philosophy, the importance of compassion, sacrifice, serenity, patience, the victory in throwing down your weapon ... these are all things that people still at Lucasfilm, from Kathleen Kennedy to Dave Filoni to Pablo, have talked about.

But I love that they're delving into it.

The most likely answer for me, based on what Daisy Ridley has said about "never meet your heroes," is that we'll begin with a disillusioned Luke who has given up on the Jedi way, having trained a powerful apprentice only to unleash great evil on the galaxy. Rey's role could be to give him hope for the Jedi - the Force brought her to him, with his lightsaber, and there must be a reason for that. I remember an old MSW report saying that Luke wants Rey to kill Kylo but Rey refuses. That's very un-Luke-like, but that could be a disillusioned Luke being taught the value of compassion not by his master, but by his apprentice.

I don't really buy the "grey" stuff, mainly because I've never seen a convincing argument for how that would manifest itself. Do good things but kill a youngling once every two Sundays? I don't think the light and dark side work like that, and Bendu shows how destructive that "between light and dark" attitude is to everyone. There's nothing heroic about it. You could say the Jedi of the PT repressed and ignored their dark side, and their emotions, too much, but that's been dealt with - Yoda learned that lesson in TCW, and Luke had learned it by the end of RotJ. What's interesting is that something still went wrong, Kylo still turned - Luke had done everything right and still failed. That's a tough lesson, and it would make anyone disillusioned.

SgtTimBob and DL44Jo like this.
  12. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    my problem with taking out the Jedi name is that it would actually lessen the OT for me.
    you have a character who's motivations are wanting to follow his dad's footsteps and become a Jedi. Than going through that journey until he finally becomes a Jedi like his father before him as he faces evil itself. If you change the name it would make the OT too weird, all of that stuff when the Jedi are no more.

fastforward to TFA and Luke is still the Last Jedi and everyone talks about finding the Jedi and finishing what Vader started (which is to kill the Jedi) and Snoke is afraid of the Jedi rising.

so I think whether there are reforms or not, the Jedi should still be a thing at the minimum in name.

as for Ben turning, well from the EU it seems like Ben was already off before he even got to Luke and it doesn't seem like Luke took him as a child either.

MS1 and DL44Jo like this.
  13. JediMasterSven

JediMasterSven Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2014

Luke: Have you considered becoming a moisture farmer on Tatooine? I know a guy who can set you up with some power convertors.

starocean90 likes this.
  14. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I think the line is literal. Luke is a bitter, disillusioned dude at the start of TLJ.

At the same time, the likelihood of LF actually ending the existence of warrior space monk wizards in SW movies I put at like 1/1,000. Putting aside the absurd logic that would have to be followed behind the scenes to lead them to such a conclusion, as though SW fans everywhere thought the problem with SW was Jedi, that poster seals the deal. Rey's lightsaber doesn't form the symbol for the Jedi Order because she's never going to become a Jedi thanks to Luke teaching her the ways of the bendu.

starocean90 likes this.
  15. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    he could always take up the Lars farm, it's been abandoned.
    Kylo starts butchering all the sand people.

"Get off my sand lawn, you damn dirty sand people.":p

JediMasterSven likes this.
  16. Dirty_Biggs

Dirty_Biggs Jedi Knight

Nov 6, 2014
    This line may end up not even being in the final cut, based on the TFA and R1 teasers and trailers! This thread will seem awwwwfully silly then, won't it? [face_batting]

Seriously, I'm of the opinion that it's not a splice from a longer sentence. This is the bridge installment of the larger trilogy and based on the previous two, it's going to be the 'dark' transitory piece of the arc and will have our heroes being battered, feeling uncertain, disillusioned and otherwise beaten. Luke exiled himself after the slaughter at the academy and my bet is he went into hiding out of shame and hopelessness to a degree, but he didn't pick the island coincidentally - I'm sure he intended to figure out what happens next and what part he needs to play in it. My bet is that he's come to the conclusion that the old ways don't work. It's the balance - where there is pure good, there must be pure evil and they'll always clash to the detriment of the non-force-sensitive rest of the GFFA. I'm sure Rey will spend the rest of the story trying to convince Luke that evil will always be there, regardless of a 'rule of two'; Luke is needed and she's there to pick him up.

Of course, you have to figure that he's going to lose Leia at the end of this chapter and this will be a pivotal moment in the story that will no doubt drive the transition towards IX.

17. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    "This destructive conflict"

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Palpatine would love the irony.

19. ColdLazarou

ColdLazarou Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    This is definitely what i think. It's time for the Jedi to end.
    Then begin again.
    Like Martin Luther zen.

Someone should really tell him that only Sith deal in absolutes like binary oppositions.:p

Darth Downunder likes this.
  20. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    What Luke.tells us in the trailer is true......"from a certain point of view".

21. DL44Jo

DL44Jo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 7, 2014
    I agree with comments I've read here and in other threads that using both the light and dark side of the Force is conflicting and cannot stand. It's similar to the concept of Wickets who convince themselves it's ok to use evil power if they're using it for good when in the end if they continue to use that power it eventually draws them to becoming evil. Or in Star Wars terms they are seduced by the dark side. In using both one cannot become truly strong in either so they are weak in both and are usually eventually drawn to the dark side in the end. As they say, a house devided cannot stand.

There is a difference between making mistakes/not being perfect but trying to move toward the light compared to saying that darkness is an ok path to take. For instance, from the old EU I felt it was ok and fitting when Luke learned for himself the negative side effects of using the dark side of the Force when he dabbled in it in hopes to defeat the Emperor (who had returned to life using the dark side). He experienced for himself that using the dark side only made him feel fear, misery, hate, great darkness, compared to what he had felt with the Light side which was peace, compassion, contentment, etc'. He decided not to use the dark side any more. Cases like this are invaluable and often necessary and the message in the end is that darkness is something that is best avoided. This I can get behind. But saying it's ok to use the dark side of the Force and supporting that idea moving forward for the arc of the main protagonists seems to undermine everything Star Wars has always stood for.

I agree fully that there are areas from the past that the Jedi need improvements and changes - these kind of improvements and changes have been known to be made throughout the history of Jedi. Luke is in a position to make those changes since he is the last Jedi. If it is true that he will try taking the road of using both the dark and light sides of the Force it may be that we will see him learn from experience the harsh realities that there was a reason the Jedi chose not to continue the philosophy of using both sides of the Force and this will emphasize the folly of turning to the dark side for solutions - that it only brings misery internally and externally to yourself and others in the end. Where peace internally which comes from the light side cannot be superceded by any amount of external darkness and has the ability to bring peace externally as well, unlike the dark side.

22. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015

I agree to what Phasmatic posted above.
    It is time for the Jedi to end - I think Luke is speaking about the fact that the "fighter way" of the Jedi should stop.
    Luke had Master Yoda as the one who taught him in depth the light side of the Force.
    I think Master Yoda had spent time in solitude and became very strong with the Force, but has become a great lover of peace.
    As Master Yoda was, on Dagobah or even more stronger with Force.
    Rey comes to Master Luke to ask him to fight for the cause she thinks is "right".
    But Master Luke will teach Rey about the light side of the Force and not turn her into an ultimate fighter that is using the Force.
    Remember that Rey has a vision in which she sees balance, in this trailer.

23. Jedi_Master_Laker

Jedi_Master_Laker Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 27, 2002
    Hamil stated that he had just finished recording the lines for the trailer. So we know for a fact that everything we hear is not necessarily in the movie.

24. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Possible full quote: "Then my nephew turned to me and said...'I only know one truth...it's time for the Jedi to end'. That's when I knew Ben had fallen to the dark side."

25. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    "time for the Jedi to end...ear themselves to a certain section of the fan base by excluding women from the order so that the heroes are always male"

GregMcP likes this.