main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Time in the Falcon

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darthnidan, Aug 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthnidan

Darthnidan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2005
    Estimating that it would take a ship traveling at light speed about 40 hrs. from Earth to Mars. How long do you think the ride from Tatooine to Alderan most have been?

2. Lord_Coras

Lord_Coras Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    A couple of hours.

3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Hyperspace travel is much, much faster than lightspeed. Since Tatooine is in the Outer Rim and Alderaan is in the Core, they're separated by around 30000-35000 light-years.

4. theN00_Jedi

theN00_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    the real question should be, how long does it take them to travel from the hoth system, to the noad system, to the bespin system, w/o faster than light travel?

guess certian parts of the SW galaxy could be lumped together really close, but still, that should have taken a long time..

..or course who knows how long they were clamped to the back of that star destroyer, for all we know the imperial fleet could have made a dozen hyperspace jumps looking for the falcon, while it was sitting there, coming along for the ride..

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    The Avenger made a hyperspace jump to the Anoat system, which is how the Falcon got there. As for the Falcon going from Anoat to Bespin, Han managed to patch together the Falcon's backup hyperdrive, which is slower and less reliable than the main unit.

6. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    The common belief is it took them a couple of months to limp to Bespin in ESB.

As for tatooine to Alderaan, few hours i'm guessing

7. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Remember, the Falcon didn't travel at lightspeed, it traveled at ".5 past lightspeed." Therefore it was traveling faster than the speed of light.

8. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    It's not 40 hours at light speed to Mars, it't only about 40 minutes at light speed (it depends on the relative positions of Mars/Earth). Earth/Sun distance is only 8 minutes at light speed... it means that if the sun explodes some day, we'll find out 8 minutes later...

9. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    haha

I used to think when you went to hyperdrive it took a half second, you were in and out. That would be convient. In ESB they should of showed more of Leia and han flying to Bespon so you know it was a long trek.

10. skyysoblue

skyysoblue Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2005
    Given that in Revenge of the Sith, traveling to the remote volcano planet seems to take as long as driving down the street, it probably didn't take long for the Milenium Falcon to get to Alderan.

11. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I find it hard to believe it took months for the Falcon to fly to Bespin. Han and Leia would have gone bonkers by then. I'm sure they stopped along the way, but then couldn't they have fixed the Falcon while stopping? I always thought it took a couple days at the most to make that trip. The same with Luke's training. I never had the impression it was months long.

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    It was actually a couple weeks.

13. Golden_Jedi

Jun 10, 2005
    I think Han and Leia find quite amusing things to do toghether... I mean, playing sabbak, for instanse...

And I refuse to beliewe the Luke was trained in two weeks...

(Sorry for the misspelling, my keyword is playing me games)

14. TorontoJediMaster

TorontoJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2001
    I suspect it took a while -like a couple of months.

They might have found someplace to stop to replenish food stores and to allow the crew to get out of the ship, but there were no safe ports that they could actually do any repairs to the ship.

15. Nokia_6230

Nokia_6230 Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2005
    Just a hunch, but from the film I'd say a few hours minimum.

16. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    It took a lot longer than a few hours. Without a working hyperdrive, i'd say a few weeks at least or a month or two at the most.

17. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002

Sorry but your hunch is wrong, you really think Luke was training with Yoda for only a couple of hours :rolleyes:

18. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005

DUDE, where did you get your numbers from? Anyone who has taken Astronomy can tell you it doesn't take 40 hours for light to travel the distance between the Earth and Mars. It doesn't even take 40 minutes. It takes about 4.2 minutes, give or take. Its simple science.

Lightspeed is about 186,000 miles a second, or 700,000,000 miles per hour. We know that it takes light coming from the sun about 8.4 minutes to get to Earth, which is 1 AU distance from the sun. (An AU, or Astronomical Unit, is the distance between the Earth and the sun) We also know that Mars is a little more than one and a half times the distance from the sun as Earth, or about 1.5 AU from the sun. That puts light from the sun reaching Mars in about 12.6 minutes. If it takes light from the sun only 8.4 minutes to get the Earth, then from Earth to Mars would be about half of that, or 4.2 minutes.

19. Darth_Davi

Jul 29, 2005
    I overlooked the planets positioning...my figures come from the mean distance, the average. It would be longer or shorter depending on where the planets were in their orbits...Thank you for making me clarify, as it was an accidental oversight.

20. Golden_Jedi

Jun 10, 2005
    DUDE, where did you get your numbers from? Anyone who has taken Astronomy can tell you it doesn't take 40 hours for light to travel the distance between the Earth and Mars. It doesn't even take 40 minutes. It takes about 4.2 minutes, give or take. Its simple science.

No, it's not that simple. And you don't need to be rude. Besides, given that the Earth and Mars orbits ar elliptical, with one common focal point (the Sun), they can be much farther from each other than the mean distance to that focus, if they are in opposite positions. Maybe 40min was an overestimation, but 20min is not far from reality. You can go check Nasa' site.

21. Darth_Davi

Jul 29, 2005
    Thats why I posted a second reply, to explain that I used the average. Besides, you didn't claim it took 40 minutes. You claimed 40 HOURS. thats waaaaaaaaaaay different.

22. Golden_Jedi

Jun 10, 2005
    I'm sorry, Darth_Davi, I didn't realize that there were two post from the same person... It was almost midnight from a hard working day for me... BTW, I didn't say 40hrs, that was Darthnidan.

23. Deimos_Skywalker

Deimos_Skywalker Jedi Master star 1

Nov 14, 2002
    What if it was a Bose-Einstein hyperdrive?

A joke for the scientists... about 3 people will get

24. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    it only needs 7 minutes from sun to earth so it would surely not need 40 min to mars...

25. AzarN_Kenobi

AzarN_Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2004
    A month or two to Bespin?

I can't believe that.

I can believe a week and a half at most.

At this point, Lucas hadn't fine tuned the actual Jedi training process into the years of committment that it is in the PT. Nevertheless, with a week and a half of training (which he abruptly ended to get to Bespin), he at least has a starting point to meditate upon when he goes all hermit in Ben's home back on Tatooine.

Remember, Kyle Katarn learnt his Jedi Skills in a matter of SECONDS in DFII:JK (EU and hardly canonical, but nontheless an example of Pre-PT perceptions of the Jedi training process).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.