main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Time length in movies

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthMyBoy, Jan 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMyBoy

DarthMyBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2003
    Im kind of new on these boards and I know this had to have been discussed but what is the whole time frame during the movies and between the moives of the OT, here is how I see it

ANH- 6 months

3 years pass...

ESB- 2 years

3 months pass...

ROTJ- 1 Month

In ESB, the book goes into detail about how long it took for the Falcon to travel at sublight speeds and how long Luke spends with Yoda, besides you cant learn the ways of the force in 2 weeks, correct me if Im wrong

2. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    Welcome to the boards! :)

Actually,I think it's something like this,

ANH-2 weeks. (maybe,I'm kind of taking a guess on that)

3 years pass

ESB-6 weeks

1 year passes.

ROTJ-Um,3 weeks maybe?

:)

3. DarthMyBoy

Nov 29, 2003
    So your saying Luke learned the ways of the force in 6 weeks??? Wow, he is powerful

4. OBIX1

Oct 7, 2002
    So your saying Luke learned the ways of the force in 6 weeks??? Wow, he is powerful

Yep,I'm about 99% sure that ESB takes place in a 6 week time frame. :)

EDIT:Typos. :)

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Yoda gave Luke a crash course in becoming a Jedi.

6. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    It's three years between ANH and ESB, and one year between ESB and ROTJ. (When I was little, I never gave any thought to the movies taking place over more than a day. haha!! I figured with all that hyperspace travel you could be anywhere in no time. :) )

7. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I have a real problem getting okay with those numbers.

8. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    I can see ESB taking several weeks to months but I always thought ANH took place within a matter of a few days. (just think, these guys could have stuck in the same outfit for as much as 6 months?! Ewwwww...)

sg

9. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003

ANH is just a few days.

ESB is a problem - if it's 6 weeks then that would mean that Fett was following the Falcon for many weeks, which would seem unlikely.

ROTJ - again, a few days.

In general the popular sources say ESB was 3 years after ANH. and ROJ is 6 months to a year after ESB.

g

10. DarthMyBoy

Nov 29, 2003
    I think what people are forgetting about ESB is that the Falcon did not have Hyperdrive and if you remember Han said about Cloud City, "Its FAR but I think we can make it", ill have to look in the ESB book for it

11. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    The Falcon had a secondary hyperdrive that was far slower than the primary, but it does its job. As for Fett following the Falcon, he only followed it until he was sure where the Falcon was headed. Then he went and told Vader about their destination.

12. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    The Falcon had a secondary hyperdrive that was far slower than the primary,

Well if they had a secondary hyperdrive why didn't they use it when the star destroyers were chasing them?

g

13. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Because he didn't have time to bring it online. It's slower and much less reliable than the main hyperdrive unit.

Besides, if he didn't have hyperdrive, how could he possibly have made it to another star system?

14. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    ANH - a few days

3 years pass

ESB - 3 months

1 year passes

ROTJ - a few days to a week or so.

15. OBIX1

Oct 7, 2002
    ROTJ - again, a few days.

I don't know,I do think my guess of 3 weeks was a little high,but it seems like ROTJ would at least take place over a week.Like The whole Jabba and tatooine scenes take place over the course of about 2 days.Then probably after Luke gets back to the fleet,that's probably another whole day or so right there.Then until the end,I'd say another 4 days right there.So,it seems like ROTJ is about 1 week long. :)

(Btw,I was really tired when I posted my first message last night,I don't what I was thinking when I said "3 weeks" 8-})

16. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    Luke trained on his own with what Yoda told him for the year between ESB and ROTJ. He also did a lot more work after that to hone his skills.

17. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I personally think that ANH is more than a couple days. It seems to me that it would take several days to reach Alderaan and then several days to reach Yavin IV and the Falcon is faster than the DS. Then there is the first day with the fall of the Tantive IV. The next day Owen buys the droids and then on the third day, Artoo runs off. So I'd have to wager that it was not until day 7 or 8 when they boarded the Death Star. The escape probably lasted a couple hours and then they hightailed it to Yavin IV.

I think it lasted about two weeks or so and I think that might be how long ROTJ was as well.

18. DarthMyBoy

Nov 29, 2003
    "Luke trained on his own with what Yoda told him for the year between ESB and ROTJ. He also did a lot more work after that to hone his skills."

That might explain a little but ESB has to have taken place over atleast 1 year. and from ESB to ROTJ it was only a few months because if you remember at the end of ESB Lando and Luke talk about "the plan"

19. OBIX1

Oct 7, 2002
    and from ESB to ROTJ it was only a few months because if you remember at the end of ESB Lando and Luke talk about "the plan"

No,ROTJ is definatly 1 year after ESB,this is according to the SW timeline,Here

(at the top of page)

20. DarthMyBoy

Nov 29, 2003
    definitley didnt see. That also means that Boba Fett stayed with Jabba for a year??? Why would they wait an ENTIRE YEAR to rescue Han???

21. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    for that matter why would Han hang around with the Rebels for 3 years without doing anything about the bounty on his head?

I mean other than wanting to get with Leia. :p

sg

22. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    They weren't just sitting around doing nothing. Fett spent most of the time evading other bounty hunters who wanted to steal the prize. And Leia and the others spent that time trying to find Fett. Then they got caught up in the Xizor business, and by the time that was over, a year had gone by.

23. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Here is my take on the time elapsed in the 1977 SW film:

Day 1: Leia captured.

Day 2: The droids are sold to Uncle Owen.

Day 3: The Falcon leaves Tatooine for Alderaan.

Day 4: The Death Star is destroyed.

Day 5: medal ceremony

24. DarthMyBoy

Nov 29, 2003
    I think it was a little longer than 5 days. Otherwise within only 5 days Luke went from farmboy to Alliance hero. It had to have been a little more than that

25. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    It takes less than a day for the DS to travel from Alderaan to Yavin ("This will be a day long remembered"), so presumably it takes about the same amount of time to get from Tatooine to Alderaan. The droids are purchased the day after they escape, and Luke meets Obi-Wan and they leave the day after that, so I think Binary_Sunset's timeline is spot on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.