main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Time-line questions between ESB and ROTJ.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by BobaFrank, Jul 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Did Han actually stay enslaved for 3 years?

I know that our heroes were planning Han's rescue but what was Luke specifically doing during that time? Was he still training? If so, by who, or was it by himself?

I ask that about Luke because when ROTJ starts he acts like he's matured much more from the ending of ESB to when he walks into Jabba's Palace.

Also, did the Alliance have a secret base or were they totally mobile the whole time?

2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    First the timeframe between ESB and ROTJ is about one year.

As for Luke, he was training off and on throughout the year, constructing a new lightsaber from documents found in Kenobi's hut. Leia, was petioning Prince Xizor to help the Alliance but Xizor only wanted Leia personally. Vader was trying to kill Xizor and make it look legit, which he eventually did. Xizor was trying to take Vader's spot.

As for Han, he was kept in Carbonite the entire time.

That's all EU, so take it or leave it.

3. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    I would assume it would have about 3 years time frame. As you said Luke has matured and Yoda health has gone way down here. I would also assume that the Rebel's kept mobile. Their two previous bases didn't last very long.

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    The time frame between ESB and ROTJ is one year, not three.

5. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    OK, what about the Alliance? Did they stay mobile the whole time?

6. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    They had to of remained mobile so the Empire would not be able to crush their forces. The Rebellion operated on a cell system, where individual cells would receive their orders and acomplish them. Or they would act on their own. So if one cell was compromised the entire Rebellion would not crumple.

Towards the later days of the war the cells were organized into what is now known as the Rebel Alliance. They had a primary base of Ops located on Yavin IV which housed several important commanders. The Hoth base was designed to be a major Rebel facility that was demolished before it was fully put into use. The Rebels remained mobile up until they captured Coruscant about 2.5 years after ROTJ. Sure they had some major Rebel bases, but the high command was generally always on the move (Mon Mothma to be exact). Most of the upper Rebel commanders were military men, so they commanded fleets in the field and fleets are always mobile.

7. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    Thanks for the info EV. :)

I'm still having trouble believing it was only a year between ESB and ROTJ. I could have sworn it was longer.

8. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    Me two. I don't agree on much of the EU though.

9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    To me, even 1 year seems too long to be continually searching for Han. But since that is the official timeline, we all have to accept it.

10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    What Bib said...the one year time span was not just established in the EU, but it was also made official.

11. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    I think they knew where Han was. At Jabba's palace, but it would have taken time for Lando to infiltrate the palace and become trusted.

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Plus, Boba Fett didn't go to Tatooine right away. IG-88 damaged Slave I extensively, so Fett had to fly to Gall's spaceport for lengthy repairs.

13. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    It was almost a year. About 11 months.

14. Marbe

Marbe Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    BobaFrank:

If you want the EU version of what happened in that year between the ESB and ROTJ, then you should read Shadows of the Empire.

15. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Actually, a Star Wars year is only 10 months.

16. CIDLORD

CIDLORD Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 6, 2001
    I hate Shadows of the Empire.

Vader's relationship with The Emperor is disgusting, even the greatest mind of evil is merely a puppet of Xizor.

A lot of fun, but that book it's merely "fantasy". No way I can make it official.

17. Marbe

Marbe Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    It's only EU. Just because someone wrote the book doesn't mean you have to accept everything or, in fact, anything about it. But you have to read it yourself to decide whether you like it or not. Personally, Shadows isn't one of my favorites.

18. HotsForTahiri78

HotsForTahiri78 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    It's not fantasy if its the c word. That novel is one of the more acknowledged ones from EU. Once again take it or leave it.

19. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Shadows of the Empire is no more acknowledged than any other book in the EU. That is to say, all of them are acknowledged and canon.

20. HotsForTahiri78

HotsForTahiri78 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    What I meant bib was that Mr. Lucas actually took a little more time looking over this one as well as a video game and graphic novel being made out of it.

You said the C-word :eek:

:p

21. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I hate Shadows of the Empire.

Vader's relationship with The Emperor is disgusting, even the greatest mind of evil is merely a puppet of Xizor.

A lot of fun, but that book it's merely "fantasy". No way I can make it official.

Of course you can't make make official. George Lucas and LFL already did.

And I don't exactly understand what you mean by "the greatest mind of evil is merely a puppet of Xizor." .... Care to explain? Last time I read the book, Xizor was working for Palpatine.

Edit: I also don't see the point in arguing whether one piece of fiction is less fake than another piece of fiction. ;)

22. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    You are quite welcome Boba Frank. :)

As for SOTE, well it was not one of my favorite reads, and how is Vader's relationship with the Emperor disgusting? Refresh my memory because it has been 6 years since I last read that book.

IIRC, Xizor was playing Vader and the Emperor for his own personal gains and Xizor hated Vader for what happened to his planet. Of course Xizor was going to try to get rid of his arch-enemy. Xizor was also the leader of Black Sun and one has to be very politically aware to make it that high up the chain of command.

It is the EU, either accept as your own canon or just dismiss it as nonsense. The choice is yours and yours alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.