Amph Time Out's 100 Best Comedies: 53 Way Out West (1937)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Nevermind, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Todd the Jedi Mod and Inquisitor of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    Animal House- Classic. Should be higher. [face_frustrated]

Elf- It's alright. I actually watched it last Christmas and noticed how short and simplistic it is. But it works that way.

Coming to America- Pretty good. The Vader references with James Earl Jones were funny.
  2. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    "Wipers!"

When the kids were little my wife and I cracked ourselves up all the time with that line.
  3. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    63. Kingpin (1996)

Director: Peter Farrelly, Bobby Farrelly
    Average user rating
    No reviews
    Movie review

From Time Out Film Guide

"Harrelson's Roy Munson, the 1979 Odor Eaters Ten-Pin Bowling Champion, has been 17 years on the skids, paying off the bubo-encrusted landlady of his verminous flophouse with vomit-inducing bouts of sex. If he's lucky. Only with the arrival of fright-wigged con artist Ernie McCracken (Murray, gleefully camp) do things look up, McCracken teaching him to make money hustling ten-pin, until he's abandoned to a bunch of rednecks who twig to him and slash off his bowling hand. Undaunted, he happens upon Quaid's Ishmael Boorg, an ingenuous Amish and fellow bowling natural, and they take off for the National Championships in Reno, pausing only to pick up mini-skirted 'personal companion' Claudia (Angel). There's something arresting in the sheer commitment the Farrelly brothers bring to the naff gags, pratfalls and ritual humiliations these three go through. More beguiling still is their warts-and-all depiction of low life, so upfront it ends up quite affectionate; equally, the keen observations quash charges of cynicism. Dumbfounding."
  4. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    Kingpin is sporadic, in my opinion, nowhere near as consistent as Dumb & Dumber or There's Something About Mary. I will defend Bill Murray's insane, coked up performance as the villain to the death though; he's the best thing in the movie by a long shot. But when he's not on screen, there's not much to keep your attention, in my opinion.
  5. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    63. Hot Fuzz (2007)

Dir Edgar Wright (Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Martin Freeman)

'What?s the matter Danny, never taken a short-cut before??

"Referencing themselves in the follow-up to their previous success, ?Shaun of the Dead?, showed the bumptious confidence of the trio behind 'Hot Fuzz' (Edgar Wright, Nick Frost and Simon Pegg). It also showed their willingness to go the extra mile ? or, in this case, extra fence ? in their dry/deadpan, eclectic, cinephiliac, ?Comic Strip?-style parodies, here in a mash-up of ?Midsomer Murders? cosiness and Bruckheimer-buddy-cop blockbuster. In ?Hot Fuzz?, Frost, as village copper Danny, offers another of his endearing studies in arrested development; while Pegg, as ex-Met Sergeant Nicholas Angel, shows he can be just as upright and self-righteous ? not to say, myopically out of his depth ? as Edward Woodward?s Auld-Reekie rozzer in ?The Wicker Man?. Though they differ dramatically in hair colour and action-hero skills, both are bad, baaad boys. WH"
  6. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Force Ghost

star 5
    Kingpin is atrocious.

The fact that something as witty and technically accomplished as Hot Fuzz is only one place ahead of it both disturbs and disappoints me.
  7. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)

Dir Wes Anderson (Gene Hackman, Anjelica Huston, Luke Wilson)

??Vamonos, amigos,? he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintcraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.?

"The Fockers may be more violently dysfunctional, the Ambersons bigger on festering spite, and the Corleones far funnier, but no film family is as grandly, sweetly or entirely screwed up as Team Tenenbaum. A tale of brownstone royalty, second-act blues and the baffling circuitousness of redemption, Anderson's rambling family saga leaves one immeasurably sad, laughing like a drain and lunging out to hug a loved one all at the same time. Gene Hackman is at his most gleefully rambunctious, Gwyneth Paltrow is as cool as (reform) school and Owen Wilson lends his 10/4 Texan drawl to a delicious Cormac McCarthy-lite literary chancer, but it?s brother Luke who steals the show as beardy retro tennis meltdown Richie Tenenbaum ? a character without whom any truly hip fancy-dress party is wholly incomplete. ALD"

I thoroughly disliked this movie; it seemed smugly pleased at what it perceived as its own cleverness. Nearly redeemed by the warmth of Hackman's performance.
  8. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Force Ghost

star 5
    Brilliant. And still Anderson's best film, although Fantastic Mr. Fox works well. And yes, it's Hackman's presence that makes it work - a character not only free of the anxieties of everyone else around him, but seemingly oblivious to them as well. It's hilarious and it's completely satisfying, which is a rare treat.
  9. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Sleeper (1973)

Dir Woody Allen (Woody Allen, Diane Keaton, John Beck)

?My brain! It's my second favorite organ!'

"Woody Allen?s cryogenically frozen New York clarinetist wakes up two centuries on from the 1970s and finds himself in a dystopian future world of robotic servants, inflatable suits and Diane Keaton. 'It?s hard to believe you haven?t had sex in 200 years,? the uninhibited Keaton wonders at the neurotic Allen. ?Two hundred and four, if you count my marriage,? Allen deadpans. An inspired mix of slapstick and Chaplinesque satire, this is Allen?s ultra-'Modern Times'. EL"
  10. Manisphere Force Ghost

star 5
    First thoughts: This was the first comedy I ever saw. My dad taped it off of television and showed it to me. It's still Woody's straight out funniest to me. Everything takes a back seat to Sleeper. I mean, a gay electronic dog??
    "I'm Rex. Ruff ruff."

The great thing about both Sleeper and early Sesame street is that they both play to adults on one level and kids on another. All of those visual gags. Giant vegetables, Woody play Blanche Dubois in order to retrieve his memory. Diane Keaton playing his Jewish mother in that counter terrorist camp. My God this is a brilliant movie.
  11. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    Sleeper is very funny; the Blanche Dubois thing is pretty funny, but I kind of think Diane Keaton's Brando is even funnier. It takes a back seat to Bananas in my opinion, but it's very good.
  12. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    59. Happy Gilmore (1996)

Dir Dennis Dugan (Adam Sandler, Christopher McDonald, Julie Bowen)

'I eat pieces of **** like you for breakfast!' 'You eat pieces of **** for breakfast?'

"The career of Adam Sandler is a cinematic minefield. For every ?Wedding Singer? there?s a ?Click?, for every ?Punch Drunk Love? a ?You Don?t Mess With the Zohan?. The general rule of thumb seems to be: respectable director and/or co-star ? risk it. Involvement of Rob Schneider and/or Adam Shankman ? avoid like the plague. But ?Happy Gilmore? is the joker in Sandler?s deck: on the surface, this tale of golfing hi-jinks is just another one of his shrill, low-rent, high-concept shitcoms. But actually watch it, and ?Happy Gilmore? is revealed as something unexpectedly special: an unashamedly stoopid, genuinely funny old-skool riff on ?Caddyshack?-era 'Saturday Night Live' antics with a remarkably high strike rate and some classic cameos. Fore! TH"
  13. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I think it works because of just how unashamedly cheesy it is. The whistle sound when Happy hits a golf ball, Happy practicing for hockey season by letting a baseball-thrower chuck fastballs at his unprotected chest and the kid attempting to emulate it, the psycho-stalker Shooter McGavin fan, Happy's homeless caddy doing his laundry in water hazards, and Happy's mentor being some golfing version of Captain Ahab all come to mind.
  14. Todd the Jedi Mod and Inquisitor of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    IIRC the caddy was bathing in the water hazard. Either way, hilarious. Bob Barker's sequence springs to mind when remembering this movie. Still this was probably Sandler's best of his 90s zany comedy films.
  15. yankee8255 Chosen One

star 6
    An incredibly funny film. Which, to its credit, is all it tries to be.
  16. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Pretty much. It's a fun movie that doesn't try to do too much.
  17. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    The Bob Barker cameo is hilarious. So is Ben Stiller's psychotic male nurse.
  18. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (1983)

Dir Terry Jones (Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, Michael Palin)

?It?s only wafer-thin??

"An apt swan song for the Pythons, this feature abandoned the sustained narratives of ?Monty Python and the Holy Grail? and ?The Life of Brian? in favour of a return to the sketch format that made them famous. And what sketches! From the gluttonous Mr Creosote to public-school sex education, a Catholic conception showtune to a macabre visitation from organ-donation representatives, they?re consistently hilarious and memorable while showcasing a decidedly dark sensibility with more sex ?n? violence than in previous outings. The troupe is on typically strong form and goes out with a bang, thanks in large part to a topless Christmas-in-heaven dance routine. BW"
  19. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    57 The Hangover (2009)

Dir Todd Phillips (Zach Galifianakis, Bradley Cooper and Ed Helms)

?I just added two more guys to my wolf pack. Four of us wolves, running around the desert together, in Las Vegas, looking for strippers and cocaine. So tonight, I make a toast!?

"The great British ?stag do? may involve some sort of outdoor pursuit, a few jars of the local ale and perhaps a late-night visit to an illicit table-dancing boudoir, but for the red-blooded males of the US, it?s Vegas all the way. Frat messiah Todd Phillips ? who gave us ?Road Trip? in 2000 and ?Old School? in 2003 ? offers a comic salute to that timeworn institution as he packs off four buddies to Nevada?s gaming Valhalla with only a bottle of Rohypnol-laced Jägermeister to their name. The film duly places us in the beer-moistened-boots of these four reprobates as we flash forward to see them coming round from their extended blackout, trying to recall their chemically enhanced antics. It?s basically the ?Animal House? wreckin? crew re-enact ?Memento? with a Mike Tyson cameo thrown in. DJ"
  20. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6

A Night at the Opera (1935)

Dir Sam Wood (Groucho Marx, Chico Marx and Harpo Marx)

?I saw Mrs Claypool first. Of course, her mother really saw her first but there?s no point in bringing the Civil War into this.?

"Even funnier than the overblown Queen album of the same name, this was the Marxes at their anarchic apogee, an excoriating dissection of snot-nosed, Jazz-age, high-society wags that contained some of their most memorable comic riffs. The story, in which Groucho falls in with a moneyed has-been and has to assist a struggling opera company, plays second fiddle to an intense barrage of puns, tongue-twisters and wisecracks. Chico?s on hand, too, with his unhinged cod-Italiano witterings, while Harpo?s energetic feats of slapstick repeatedly threaten to steal the show. And if you?ve ever pondered how many people can fit into the cabin of an art deco transatlantic ocean liner, then this, sir, is the movie for you. DJ"

But you do have to fast forward through the love story. The rest is great.
  21. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    55 Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994)

Dir Tom Shadyac (Jim Carrey, Courteney Cox, Sean Young)

?If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer.?

"Long before Jim Carrey was the go-to guy for anodyne family comedies with computer-generated penguins, he was a wildly inventive, toweringly talented performer fuelled by a sugar-rush of comic energy that made Robin Williams look positively subdued. ?Ace Ventura? captures him in his prime. Playing the world?s finest ? erm, only ? pet detective, he?s a whirling dervish of silly voices, rubber faces and long-limbed pratfalls who inhabits his role so commandingly his co-stars may as well be digital penguins. EL"
  22. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Hopefully one day they'll include all the deleted scenes on a BD release. Whenever you watch the movie on broadcast, it seems like it's got like 10-15 minutes of alternate/extended/deleted scenes included to replace the stuff they can't play on TV.
  23. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The Blues Brothers (1980)

Dir John Landis (John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd, Cab Calloway)

?Boys, you got to learn not to talk to nuns that way.'

"Based on a sketch John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd performed on 'Saturday Night Live', the blues brothers were a couple of black-suited, pork-pie-hatted, nimble-footed reprobates with a yen for vintage R&B and an appetite for destruction that leaves most of the Chicago police force's fleet of cop cars in the scrapyard. The irreverent, gleeful mayhem is staged to a matchless soundtrack performed by a genuinely jaw-dropping array of blues and funk stars. Hit it! EL"

I'm not exactly sure Landis has a sense of humour, but I will say this: he can stage musical numbers, if indeed it was him.
  24. Vengance1003 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Has one of the most memorable endings of all time and it is a pretty funny movie.
  25. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5

Heavily edited by Universal studio executives, apparently it was supposed to be about three hours long.
    I read that in an interview many years ago with John Landis.

Still, I think it's one of the best films of it's period. Totally unique and fun and full of great
    comedic moments.