Amph Time Out's 100 Best Comedies: 53 Way Out West (1937)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Nevermind, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    It's way too long as it is.
  2. CloneUncleOwen Force Ghost

star 4
    When I think 'The Blues Brothers', I picture some goofy AVATAR sequel where Jake Sully and his brother
    Cody (or whomever) lead Neytiri and the rest of the Na'vi on wacky Pandoran misadventures.

At any rate, I enjoyed the actual film.
  3. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    53 Way Out West (1937)

Dir James W Horne (Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, James Finlayson)

?Any bird can build a nest, but it?s not everyone that can lay an egg.?

"The only one of Stan and Ollie?s sweet lunkhead opuses to make it onto this list, 1937?s barmy western pastiche ?Way Out West? makes for a worthy (just!) feature-length stand-in for such classic shorts as ?The Music Box?, ?Towed in the Hole? and ?Our Relations? (to name just a few). Best known for the duo?s impromptu and extremely effete little dance to ?The Trail of the Lonesome Pine? outside a saloon, this rambling film brims with hilarious, multi-layered gags and some monumental proto-bromance bickering. The pair are charged with placing the deeds to a goldmine in the hands of a poverty-stricken washerwoman, but they are duped by a conniving bar owner and his femme fatale spouse. During the proceedings, donkeys are foolishly used as abseiling counterweights, necks are stretched past their breaking points, Stan demonstrates a clever way of lighting a pipe and there?s an epic fight sequence based entirely around the act of tickling. Bliss, and then some. DJ"
  4. CloneUncleOwen Force Ghost

star 4
    Laurel and Hardy's Dance Number

This is absolute comedy gold, with Laurel and Hardy at the top of their game.

=D=

Note: The song they are dancing to is not 'The Trail of the Lonesome Pine', but 'At the Ball, That's All'.
  5. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Apparently the yodeler is Chill Wills, of all people.