main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Time to out the false rumor mongers, insiders, and false "spoilers" of ep VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ender_and_Bean, Jan 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Perhaps there's already a thread like this but I honestly believe this could be useful for future episodes and perhaps could be merged there later?

All of us who read spoilers in the lead up to VII know now that very specific details we were told were wrong. Perhaps it would be helpful to list some of the biggest ones, as well as the source of those false "spoilers" so that we can all avoid similar mistakes for future episodes. Similarly, if any one source was consistently excellent perhaps list that source, too, for future reference.

I'll begin. The rumor of Luke's hand flying through space and landing on Jakuu for Rey to find it was 100% false. This rumor was widely circulated as the beginning of episode VII for a long time. Which sources circulated that? Which refuted it and were therefore right?

There was also a widely circulated rumor that Luke arrived last minute to fight Kylo Ren. That never happened either.

What other big rumors, widely discussed, were entirely false and who circulated them?

2. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Luke was supposed to be guarding an ancient Sith temple.

Rey was supposed to be Lora Rey the twin sister of Kylo Ren.

Sent from my LGL33L using Tapatalk

3. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999

Oh how I wish that were so.

Krueger likes this.
  4. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I meant Kira Rey.

Sent from my LGL33L using Tapatalk

5. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Luke kills Han after using his crazy insane force powers

Snoke is a spirit in the suit of vader

Snoke is a giant dark side snake

6. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Luke was supposed to be mad with power and possibly the villain of the entire trilogy. Remember that?

Allana_Rey likes this.
  7. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    Kira was the original name in the early scripts.

8. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Luke is an evil cyborg, and Rey becomes his apprentice at the film's end.

Lupita's character was a Jedi who would end up training Finn.

Han kills Luke after he goes mad with power.

Thrawn would be a character in the film, and would be played by Benedict Cumberbatch.

Luke was guarding an ancient Sith tomb, and Kylo's saber is what could open it.

Captain Phasma was related to Dooku.

There would be a scene involving Kylo finding Vader's helmet on Endor.

Darth Vader would be revived in the film.

Robert Downey Jr., Samuel Jackson, and Hugh Jackman would all have cameos in the film

A flashback involving Vader and Leia.

Mon Mothma would appear in the film.

9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    How do you know he's not? :eek: Twist!

10. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    There's no point identifying sources, because the majority were just random users on 4chan or reddit or wherever.

The hand/lightsaber rumour had some basis in the truth, according to MSW. They claim it was cut from the film, but that the lightsaber floating through space was genuinely going to follow the opening crawl.

There was that shot of a tall Resistance pilot who vaguely resembled Adam Driver, and based on that there were a lot of "leaks" claiming that Kylo would either fall over the course of the film, or would be redeemed by its conclusion.

11. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    For a time it was thought that Finn would be the main character with Force powers.

12. Edgar Allen Poe Dameron

Edgar Allen Poe Dameron Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Aren't some of the rumors that turned out false simply a matter of editing or TPTB changing their minds after the rumor came out. For example the hand/saber at the beginning of the movie. Was that not confirmed as what they were in fact going to do, only to later scrap the idea? If so the rumor was still true, from a certain point of view.

13. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I believe the cyborg Luke thing was MSW passing on their misunderstanding of some concept art. To be fair to them, they got a ton right and the art did resemble Luke. However, lessons have surely been learned about how much can and can't be gleaned from leaked concept art.

14. Jedi_Master_Laker

Jedi_Master_Laker Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 27, 2002
    To be fair, they actually used Luke's face for the cyborg concept art. I.give them a pass on that one.

15. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    Not sure where to post this since the thread in question was locked (so, so charitably), but I think it needs to be said:

For my money, the early front-runner for BEST POST OF 2016 was in the (now-locked) thread 'Han Solo was clearly not killed'

It was posted by 15-year veteran of the boards, die-hard LOTR fan and part-time detergent and solvent enthusiast, Tyrian.

To wit:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/han-solo-was-clearly-not-killed.50037100/#post-53067043

Jedi_Master_Laker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.