main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Time to update the JC rules ?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by malkieD2, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Nice, Carmen. That wording would work much better than dp4m's one, which should never have been included in the first place as it was never actually a rule here.

2. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I just have to say, and hope that the statute of limitations is up, that if it weren't for drunk posting, we wouldn't have 3 Paperclips vs. Lego Stormtrooper. And a world without 3 Paperclips vs. Lego Stormtrooper is a sad world.

3. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    E. Promoting alcohol/tobacco use for minors is disallowed. Any posts deemed inappropriate regarding alcohol or drugs will be moderated appropriately. Posting while under the influence is also discouraged, as it can lead to inappropriate posting, which will be moderated appropriately as well.

I'm all for this!

4. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    How is that different than how it always has been?

5. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    It's not, except for the last year mods have erroneously banned users for admitting they were intoxicated. They were wrong to do so, and we're trying to have the mods realise this by removing/rewording the new(ish) line in the rules saying 'you may not post while drunk'.

6. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Yeah. Me too. This is precisely what I was trying to suggest, only much better put.

7. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002

Here's what we have right now as far as the JCC and overall JC. I don't see where it says that saying "I'm drunk" or "I'm high" will get you banned. It's a bit ambiguous, but I can see where "newsworthy" and "academic" may be a bit too constricting. Under that, talking about your favorite beer or wine could conceivably be seen as inappropriate by a mod. Now, I can see where the statement "posting while intoxicated is forbidden" is something we should look at changing in the JCC rules. As we've been saying, if I'm posting "intoxicated" right now and within the TOS and you can't tell, then that's really hard to quantify.

8. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    It never has, there's just been a couple of cases where mods have interpreted this gray area that way, like in JP's case above.

9. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Now, I can see where the statement "posting while intoxicated is forbidden" is something we should look at changing in the JCC rules.

Absolutely, because that is the "rule" which has sprung into existence in the last year that mods have been using to ban people who say "I'm drunk". Carmen's rewording will fix this.

10. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Yeah. That's the only bit I had a problem with, personally. The rest seemed ok to me.

11. carmenite

carmenite Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    The rules don't say that posting "I'm drunk" will get you banned, however they imply that when they say "posting while intoxicated is strictly forbidden." If it's forbidden, and you're doing it, then you're probably going to get banned, right? I don't think it's a far stretch to say that it could be interpreted that way, which is why I support writing it in such a way that it can't be interpreted that way.

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

Post more often, sucka! :p

13. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    What if you are doing it and not breaking any other rules? Might as well add "I'm drunk" to the word filter

14. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Huh? There's nothing at all wrong with posting "I'm drunk" (despite what a number of mods have believed for the last year or more). And if you're not breaking any rules, it doesn't matter if you're drunk, stoned, concussed, possessed... which is what we're trying to ensure all the mods understand.

15. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    I thought this was what we were getting at?

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    If a poster is drunk, but just being a little goofier than usual, and not picking fights, hitting on everything that moves, and acting like a complete jackass (things that would generally get you kicked out of any drinking establishment), I see nothing wrong with it, if the poster is of legal drinking age in his / her country.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    As clarification for Jaypee, since he LOVES the clarification, posting while drunk == banned had been how it had always been explained to me as of 2003 when I was promoted in January.

18. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    I said that a page ago. No need to point fingers it's been the rule and we are talking about revising it :) ;)

19. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    /it has already been revised.

20. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Yes, and whoever explained that to you was wrong. I'm glad we finally have it cleared up.

21. carmenite

carmenite Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    I am amused that I used to get you two confused when you were both mods.

22. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I still get them confused.

23. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    We both had purple. I think we agreed on one thing in the MS once, but I may be wrong about that.

25. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I wanted to get discussion going again on the current item on the table, the proposed 'drunk' rule by carmenite. Again, it says:

"E. Promoting alcohol/tobacco use for minors is disallowed. Any posts deemed inappropriate regarding alcohol or drugs will be moderated appropriately. Posting while under the influence is also discouraged, as it can lead to inappropriate posting, which will be moderated appropriately as well. "

We've been discussing this in MS ever since it first came up. Personally, I like this new wording too and I'm for it, but I wanted to make sure we have an understanding with it. The more I read the rule, the more I realize that it relies heavily on moderator opinion. It's more ambiguous then the current rule that it's proposed to replace. When you have a team of 40+ moderators and you have a rule that relies on moderator discretion, nothing really changes. The adage goes: the more you change, the more things stay the same. "Moderated appropriately" is mentioned twice in those three sentences making this a discretionary rule. Everyone takes this rule differently. In the future, we are most likely going to have more discussion on this the first time someone gets edited on something involving alcohol because they interpreted the rule differently then the moderator that edited them. I'd rather discuss this as much as we can now, then later. This is why I wanted discussion to continue on this and update you on what we're thinking in MS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.