main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Time to update the JC rules ?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by malkieD2, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Well, we have two mods that haven't made manager, yet and Senny is fairly new to the mod team, also. So, we're discussing this more. I have other duties and we're getting input from that know the place well, also as well as running it through MS. So it's taking longer than last time. When you and gabe did it, it was mostly re-wording from what I remember with few changes (the link issue wasn't in it, for instance, I don't know if it was in earlier versions or not). I know it sounds like a lame excuse, but I trust the users of the JCC not to burn the place down while tighten it up.

2. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I just read through the revised rules you have up in the JCC, roo, and I have to say that I liked what I saw. :)

3. carmenite

carmenite Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    Geez. Thx for the guilt trip.

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    More than a spit and polish job, then? I didn't think the rules you put out were very wrong (save for the offsite content stuff being missed) at all, they just needed a little tinkering. That was, as you say, all it ever was last time. I don't think what was there last time (prior to this thread being posted) was very wrong at all - infact this thread (for me) was prompted more by a perceived lack of adherence to the rules as were written than the need for any serious reworking. I read the subtext of this thread (particularly at the start) to be 'you're slacking mods, so perhaps the rules should change to reflect that - wink, wink'. Perhaps I read wrong, but I didn't think we needed the first 'may and maybe' change, let alone a further change which, given the time being taken, sounds like it might be an over-reaction.

But, now we're here, let's hope the new rules will own. :p

5. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Just re-promote malkie already.

6. Wilderness_Comedian

Wilderness_Comedian Jedi Youngling star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Were the updated rules updated for the 1980s?

7. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Yes. All mods have to sport mullets, and any users who laugh at said mullets were banned until the 1990s.

8. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I've been watching this thread for a while and didn't really have much to contribute. But I figured I'd toss in my 1.328 cents:

1. I don't think the rules were fine before and I'm sure they'll be fine now. It may be fun in an "aha gotcha" kinda way to poke a mod in the eye because s/he missed something somewhere, but other than that, it's not the rules that are the problem (not that I actually think there's a problem).

2. The only thing users need out of a moderating team is consistency. The rules are supposed to establish expectations--"This is what we mods care about"; but that's just a baseline. In truth, it's the day-to-day operations of the boards that set the tone and new members to any forum have to go in, observe, and see what's acceptable. In point of fact, users should be doing most of the moderating--without any real "that's against the rules" kinda nonsense, but just simply reminding other users what the expecations of the community are. It's only when that doesn't work that moderators should be necessary. By that point, there shouldn't be much quibbling about whether or not moderation was necessary.

On this point, I kinda have to say that my only concern is in what I call "pre-emptive moderation"--when moderators step in and shut down a discussion because it has the potential to blow up. Fortunately, there's very little of that on the JCC, but it's something to be cautious of. It's a fine line between "keeping things calm" and "sucking the living fun out of everything that makes the JCC cool."

I probably have more to say, but I'm already probably at the capacity of the JCC-willingness to read long posts. :p

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

Only Zaz can take away my usual suspect points.... Edit: please play nice with one another. :)

10. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    I am in full agreement with MalkieD2 on this matter. A while back, I found a post in the EUC where the word "bastards" was used. However, because the individual put smileys after his remark, the Mod saw no need to edit the post, even though it clearly sounded like an insult toward others.
    Because of the current state of the rules, if I were a Moderator, I would have banned the user and edited the post, regardless of the silly faces.

11. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    I agree with malkie as well.

Also, I have a question.

When something is clearly against the TOS and/or JCC Rules and the Mods do nothing about it, who do we go to to complain?

As a corollary, rather than spamming the Mod's PM boxes with complaints, is there a thread or something in which we can list problems and/or violations for the Mods to address when they are available?

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If you see something against the TOS, check to see if any of the forum mods are online in the Users Online section. (There is a 'MODS' option way to the right at the end of the alphabetical entries). If so, drop the forum mod a PM. (Use a mod with a recent last login time). If the problem is something major (such as spamvertising, or grossly inappropriate images or language) you can PM any mod online. (Again, pick one with a recent last login time).

There was going to be a 'Report Post' facility but so far it is not in use. Sending a PM is your best bet.

13. SkyeLightrider

Jan 12, 2003
    That still doesn't address my question. That is if the mods are not aware of it.

What if something is a clear violation of TOS, the mods know about it (or even contribute) and nothing is done about it? Where do we go to complain then?

14. Wilderness_Comedian

Feb 5, 2005
    Just be a mod favorite. Then you'll be okay.

15. SkyeLightrider

Jan 12, 2003
    Little difficult when it's the apparent "mod favorites" getting away with the mentioned TOS violations, then the non-"mod favorite" is harassed by the "mod favorites" and then warned by said mods when they speak up against the violators.

16. Wilderness_Comedian

Feb 5, 2005
    Change your name to ASO and YodaJeff.

17. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
  18. SkyeLightrider

Jan 12, 2003
    Thanks for letting me know Roo. I believe I need to use that.

19. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Holy freakin crap, man. We get it already. You were banned, you're pissed off, and you just wanna blame it all on "mod favourites."

20. Wilderness_Comedian

Feb 5, 2005
    Dude, I was just kidding. :(

21. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Back in the day, links to sites with profanity were allowed so long as the site's swearing was not hateful nor excessive. Less lenience for audio/video profanity than written words.

When linking to a site with some swearing, a warning would be included in the post.

If in doubt, PM a mod.

I have no idea when linking to The Onion, Fark, etc became an issue. :(

22. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Back in the day, I don't think ***mouse was censored, either. The current trend seems to be towards stricter censorship.

23. Boomer_Athena

Boomer_Athena Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    Actually, I've done a little more research and I've changed my mind on the point I'd formed.

24. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001

25. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Back in my day, I had to mod uphill both ways, and posting drunk was frowned upon.

// shakes fist at tonyf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.