main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Time Travel - Legends

Discussion in 'Literature' started by vnu, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    It's not luck, it's a choice. Star Wars is supposed to be fun. Always standing in harsh, unforgiving judgment of the things I don't like...how is that fun? So, I choose not to do that. I take an uncritical mindset to my hobby, focusing on what I like and not so much on what I don't. I find it a fulfilling and healthy way to interact with the franchise [face_peace]

Anyway, any discussion of time travel in Legends really needs to delve into the incident from the Marvel Droids and Ewoks comic books in which Threepio and Artoo travel through time via a rift in space (encountering Wicket, Chirpa, etc. on Endor in the process). It's probably the most significant example of time travel the franchise has to offer, involving primary characters, verified time travel both forwards and backwards, and even established continuity in that it explained why the Ewoks revered a "golden god." (Not that all that doesn't cause its share of continuity problems, but still.)

Senpezeco, Outsourced, jSarek and 2 others like this.
  2. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    The ST aren’t bad movies. They’re a rehash of the best movie trilogy. How can they be bad?
    Thing is, Rebels is a major story using it. It’s set up to be used again.

I think it is fair to not like everything being released and voice criticism of it.

3. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    I didn't see any time travel in Rebels. I saw a place that isn't quite fully physical and isn't quite fully spiritual in which time does not exist. I saw that place in The Clone Wars too. Arguably, I saw that place all the way back in The Empire Strikes Back; Luke fights Vader-who-is-not-Vader there. The possibility that this place could be used to change reality was brought up, yes, but it hasn't been used that way (Ahsoka went right back to where we last saw her in season two, after all) because that's evil. "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities, some considered to be unnatural." "The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force."

The Positive Fan likes this.
  4. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    I have long taken the position that people who insist that the PT, or the ST, or [insert whatever SW movie you don't like] are "bad" movies, are not familiar with genuinely bad movies. You don't have to like what a particular SW movie has to offer, or find it lacking in relation to other SW films, but claims that any SW movie counts as a "bad movie" fall far short indeed against some of the high water marks of that particular classification.
    I agree. I do think constructive criticism is better than just flailing bitterly at everything that comes along, but in principle I agree with the sentiment.

Congratulations to this thread for making it three pages so far without being locked!

Outsourced, wmu'14 and Jedi Princess like this.
  5. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    I've been considering Ahch-To's mirror cave as a possible manifestation of the WBW as well as the possibility that, as you suggested, the WBW isn't nearly as much a literal "place" as it is a spiritual one.

6. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Well don't know about the OP but I've read more, like Dark Disciple (Vos reinstated to master after mass murder, undermining the jedi not making anakin a master) Cylo and his clones, Han gambling the Rebellions money, Leia hitting people (so it's ok for people to do this? It's not a good example for girls reading) etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  7. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Why would it be locked. All I’m doing is expressing that I don’t like the way Disney is handling Star Wars

8. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    A lot of fans share that opinion. In fact that opinion became more widely held after the last Jedi.

9. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    The thread looked endangered to me because a.) from the very first post on the "actual" topic of discussion is distinctly different than the "purported" topic as suggested by the title of the thread, b.) if "time travel" is the correct topic, there are currently multiple threads discussing that, and c.) if "I hate the new canon" is the correct topic, my observation has been that ever since the "Great River" thread closed the mods have been less tolerant of people creating new threads simply to hate on this or that. But I am not a Mod and have little insight into the comings and goings of these mythical beings who live among us, clothed in the simple garb of you and I but bearing power beyond the ken of mortals.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  10. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Has it occurred to anyone that this time travel business wasn't a Filoni thing to keep Ahsoka alive, but actually a mandate from the very top of Story Group, etc. Maybe this is a prelude to time travel (or the search for its power) featuring heavily in 9 or some other film. Rian Johnson is starting a new trilogy and the film that put his name on the map, Looper, is all about time travel...

11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    A lot of people are saying this is a one off-which is possible I suppose but why introduce a major game changer like this if your only planning on using it once?

wmu'14 likes this.
  12. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Agreed, and this sort of thing had to have been cleared with Story Group right? Or do they have less input than we were led to believe?

Pablo: Dave, you can keep Ahsoka alive if you want. Have her fall down a chasm in Malachor and Vader assumes she's dead, but please don't bring time travel into this. If you want a Macguffin on Lothal, recanonize the Valley of the Jedi or something.

13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I suspect that when it comes to the films and potentially TV shows the story group has next to no influence-they aren't getting the directors and writers to abide by their prescriptions for sure.

More likely in that context they are just ensuring the movies fit with the Canon and cleaning up whatever canon messes the movies make through retcons, selective recanonizations, etc...

But regarding this-I do wonder if this will be used a vehicle for reintroducing legends as part of the multiverse like marvel or DC multiverses.

Or if not that(at least in the near to medium term) to allow time travel to be more widely used-as has been stated time travel in legends was an extremely rare phenomenon. This could make it a far more common storytelling/plot device.

14. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It's possible. DC kept saying they won't ever revisit the multiverse but they eventually did. There's just too much money in old universes (especially one with as wide a fandom as Legends EU) for a properly functioning business to ignore.

15. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Your right though they Pablo as stated he is "uninterested" in continuing legends-though he said that in response to a specific question.

When do you think they'll revisit it even in a multiverse sense? Five years? Ten? 3 years?

16. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    No timeframe but whenever the new movies run out of steam. Star Trek dived back into the prime universe once the JJ films' intake started subsiding.

DC was on a high with 'Year One', 'Killing Joke' "Knightfall', 'Death of Superman' etc in the late 80s early 90s. But once the new stuff ran its course and they were on filler storylines like they started putting old multiverse concepts back in (Zod and Supergirl from Krypton, Bat-mite etc.)

17. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Leave time travel and portals to the MCU. In the last 2 episodes, I was half-expecting The Fantastic 4, Dr Strange, or Thanos with his Infinity Gauntlet to make an appearance

18. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    This thread isn't actually about time travel is it?

Outsourced and The Positive Fan like this.
  19. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    No and I wish it was.

20. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    Time travel definitely existed in legends, with Mace Windu traveling back in time to correct a time anomaly as a jedi called Mace Windu was supposed to exist at a certain point in the past.....also, Darth Rivan traveled through time with the darkstaff....C3PO time traveled and even some storm troopers chasing Princess Leia in a comic were sent a few thousand years into the past by celestial beings. I actually like this inclusion in canon, as long as its used judiciously and not to bring regularly back characters because they are popular etc. :rolleyes:

21. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    @wmu'14

This thread appears to be nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt at you to complain about Disney and the new canon. Per our boards policy, "The Literature forum follows the Lucasfilm canon policy. Do not debate canon." That applies to creating threads to simply complain about the canon.

This thread is on thin ice, if you don't keep it on topic (ie, the potential of time travel), I WILL lock it.

--Adm. Nick

22. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Guess what: there's a thread that was created that discusses the very thing shortly after I created this one.
    But this thread was designed to discuss time travel - in the sense that Disney shouldn't be touching it.
    So it's not okay to express the way Di$ney is handling SW? I regularly see threads and posts criticizing the PT. I guess that's okay if it's the popular thing to do, though. Since this is a SW message board, please direct me to a place where I can express my disinterest in SW Di$ney. I thought on fandom message boards you were allowed to discuss what you like and don't like about the particular fandom.

I agree. Problem is, Marvel is infamous for creating multiverses and using time travel to radically change things in the past.

The Mace Windu story was Tales - i.e.: not Legends canon unless it's called back to in a non-Tales story. I don't believe it was ever called back to.

I keep hearing about the C3PO thing: In the grand scheme of things, that was very minor, in a throw-away, just-for-fun story. The primary media outlets for Disney's canon are the movies, and the TV shows. Rebels the TV show presented it as a game-changer. It's almost as big a game changer as the Jedi knowing Darth Sidious created the clone army prior to RotS.

I think it's more likely they'll use it to create a new universe, rather then return to an old one (Legends). I think they'll use it as a gateway to redo the PT.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    They'll redo the PT anyway and that is something the OP was complaining/worrying about. Anyway as a PT fan I would not like that.

SpecForce Trooper and wmu'14 like this.
  24. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    It tells me Disney's half-ashamed of what they bought. It tells me that the stories/movies I read now that they're releasing could just as easily get wiped away with a flick of the wrist. All speculation, of course, as the responses in this thread posted, but I think it's obvious Disney has tried to distance themselves from the PT. And that isn't speculation. (but hey, since they're universally hated outside me and a couple others I guess it's okay to redo them)

25. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    @wmu'14..... I agree that Star Wars Tales was non-canon from way back, but I brought it up as we are discussing the use of time travel in legends, and I think Mace's experience comes closest to Ezra's as he had to correct an anomaly, and return to his present timeline.

Incidentally, time travel was already partially addressed in the canon Han Solo comics as well where the Millennium Falcon goes through a portal and is assisted by aliens from another time period.... so technically this isn't SW canon's first foray into time travel.

C3PO's story was a kid's story but time travel has appeared in many other legends books, comics and games as well (the Darkstaff story being something I particularly like).....while the primary media outlet might be the movies, it is nice that they haven't completely forgotten the fans of those other media (books, comics, etc) and are trying to bring in themes and concepts they grew up reading about as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.