main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Timelessly Fascinating, All Things Trek! 07/06/17: Writing Characters.

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Feb 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks to NYCitygurl & Mira_Jade this thread is a go! Booyah!

Inspired by the OTP thread in the SW side of Resource, I had to do this. LOL

* I will be having a topic every other week, but the prior topics will still be open for discussion/comment.

* We'll be concentrating on all things Trek, TOS, TNG, etc., My focus will be on those two primarily since I'm most familiar with those but anyone who wants to comment on DS9 and Voyager, :cool:

* Focus will be on likes, dislikes, characters, plots of shows/movies, themes, world-building, and relationships. :cool: (Reading and also writing)

First topic, an ice breaker:

How'd you get introduced to the fandom? What pulled you in?

~!

For me, it was an episode of TOS back at uni. I was pulled in by the snarky banter and obvious friendship. Like the I don't like you feels of H/L based on the words, you could tell there was something-something. The bromancy I have your back of Trek, despite all assertions (by McCoy) to the contrary [face_laugh] [face_mischief] (He's just one big gooey squishy marshmallow) ;) And the ability of Spock to give and receive loyalty - that just. =P~ That was a delicious surprise. [face_love]

Woot!

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    44 years ago I was in high school (5 HAVO in the Netherlands) when the public broadcast NOS began to air all the Star Trek episodes (TOS) Still in BW (we didn't have a colour TV) but I was hooked from the beginning. And my dad too despite his funny comments on the aliens. Spock, Kirk and Uhura were among my favorites. And McCoy of course.
    During a vacation in Florida with my brother I saw the teasers for TNG and had to wait some years before the NOS began to air them. Riker and Troy are among my favorites. Dad had even more comments on the aliens (Klingons with their ridges)

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    :) Riker and Troi are wonderful & Data too. :cool: Picard is in his own category [face_laugh] A topic eventually will compare/contrast the captains. [face_laugh]

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I went to see the 2009 movie with my parents because they paid and shirtless Chris Pine :p And to my surprise, it was very good! I still haven't watched the older shows, but I've kept up with the new movies and have enjoyed the fanfic :D

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I went to see the 2009 movie with my parents because they paid and shirtless Chris Pine :p And to my surprise, it was very good! I still haven't watched the older shows, but I've kept up with the new movies and have enjoyed the fanfic :D

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oooh, Nat, that is so incredibly interesting! :cool: To come in fresh with the reboot as a stepping off point. [face_love] :D =P~ Chris Pine definitely is ... something fine to get accustomed to as is Zachary Quinto. :D Nummy tummy! [face_laugh]

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] It was definitely an interesting experience! And I don't really feel the need to go back and watch the old stuff. I've picked up enough here and through my parents to understand the new movies, and I really like the new universe :D

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing] !!!!!! Wonderful to hear! It was totally intriguing for me, having been exposed to the original original. [face_laugh] But I took to the reboot like a very happy duck to water! [face_love] [face_love] Some of the reasons and whys and wherefores and differences/similarities will provide future topics in this thread. :cool:

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] And I very much look forward to that :D

10. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    I watched a lot of TNG but never the whole series. I also enjoyed the TNG era films. Picard is awesome. I also liked the Abrams films. :D

11. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I grew up watching syndicated TOS, but it wasn't until TNG that I fully engaged the fandom. That said, I had not written a word of ST fan fiction until the ST:2009 was released. To that point, I had thought the TOS characters too intimidating to write. The younger version were much more accessible to me.

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Furio and brodiew - welcome to the fun! I too find the younger generation less daunting and boy do they resonate with me. Woot.

~!

Next topic:

A weighty subject with no right or wrong answers. LOL the Prime Directive - necessary, an unrealistic and cumbersome thing for those facing field situations that can change in a minute. Is it just or did it somehow turn into something that ties the hands of Captains that those who are desk-bound cannot grasp? And Kirk versus Picard and how they handled the PD?

~~~~~~~!

I think in many cases it was necessary to safeguard the cultures from contacts with higher tech societies so as not to influence them too much. But to insist! that it be carried out no matter what the dictates of the immediate situation and to sanction a commander for stepping out of its parameters based on an unexpected turn of events - that he or she was in a better position to assess and weigh the consequences of action and inaction. It almost felt like the higher ups thought he should just leave the cultures to grapple with their crisis instead of violating the "rules."

I think on the surface Jim violated it more than Jean-Luc [face_laugh] although the latter could be quite resourceful too. :D

13. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005

This is a tough one, but I ere on the side of the Prime Directive and even its strict adherence. Oddly enough it does fly in the face of an exploration mandate. If you are exploring you are most definitely run in species you have never before met and that are less technologically advanced.

It almost felt like the higher ups thought he should just leave the cultures to grapple with their crisis instead of violating the "rules."

If Janeway would have left well enough alone...

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    This is the problem with not watching anything but the new movies -- I don't know what the Prime Directive is [face_blush] :p

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    NYCitygurl - [face_laugh]

Basically, the Prime Directive stipulates that whenver contact is made with a society/culture barely on the verge or even before space flight, that no new tech or ideas should be divulged so as not to overly influence or direct the flow of progress. Rather like if someone from the 21st century were to go back to the verge of the 20th century, they couldn't give any clues about TV, microwaves, ;) or gasp! the Internet. [face_mischief]

Which could prove problematic to a commander on the ground in the middle of a crisis - the nature of help you can give etc.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  16. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    The prime directive can be trouble. Both captains handled it quite well.

But in general; you want the best for every living being. In the SW universe all kinds of species are living together not bothered at all by any directive.

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    This is true, but they in SW are plagued by ambitious Sheevsters who want power and more power. :eek: :p

Woohoo!

Jean-Luc handled the Prime Directive with suave diplomacy while Jim just plowed over it [face_laugh] ;) Each style is effective. [face_love]

earlybird-obi-wan likes this.
  18. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I'm all for Jean-Luc's delicate touch, but sometimes a Kirk is needed. ;)

I think that the Prime Directive is just like most rules in the book - it makes sense to adhere to whenever and however you can, but there are always going to be those circumstances where you need to think on your feet and be fast and malleable. Having a hard and fast rule like that can do more harm than good, and there should be leyway. But I do not disagree with the principle of the directive in of itself.

(That said, I am loving this thread. This year has been a crazy one, and it's kept me from commenting so far, which bummed me out. But let's see if I can change that now. 8-} Thanks for hosting it, Deb! [:D])

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Thanks for the explanation!!

I second Mira -- sometimes, a captain just needs to, shall we say, forget about it briefly :p See: Kirk in the second new movie at the beginning :p

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    An excellent example. =D= [face_love]

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Woot, let's talk about my dear fine smokin' Nyota [face_laugh] In the classic TOS versus now. Ways you feel her character is similar/different and which portrayal resonates the mostest? Or is it a tie? [face_laugh]

~~!

I won't put in my two cents until I hear from the rest of y'all. [face_batting]

22. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Classic Nyota was marvelous but underused in the shows. But I loved how they developed her character in the movies, portraying an older Uhura with some facinating abilities.

New Nyota is just lovely and a worthy companion for the one who loves her. She shows more about her character.

I love both

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    :D What a nice and concise summation of the contrast between classic and "New" minted Nyota [face_laugh]

I found classic Nyota to be vibrant, intelligent, and like I'd love to know more about her. @};- I always somehow wanted her to have sparks with our favorite First Officer =P~ so that was my secret theory of why Christine Chapel never got anywhere [face_shhh] ;)

Reboot Nyota has all the snark of a Mara Jade [face_love] and all the sweet warmth of a lady who has her personal and professional act together. [face_laugh]

Writing reboot Nyota has been a sheer and utter joy! Absolutely! I get to expand her character and also at the same time indulge my fangirl preoccupations. [face_mischief]

Mira_Jade - as a superbly talented authoress [face_batting] - what have you found rewarding and/or challenging about writing Nyota? Are or were there facets of her current life or past situation that you found lent themselves to creativity? If there had never been the reboot, personally, I never would've thought to venture in to Trek ff. :p

^:)^

earlybird-obi-wan likes this.
  24. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    I loved how classic Nyota could sing and dance. ST V comes into mind where she is seducing the enemy with a dance

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh yes. And that factoid lent itself to all kinds of nummy ficlets of mine where she entertains her love with such grace and talent. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.