main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Timelessly Fascinating, All Things Trek! 07/06/17: Writing Characters.

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Feb 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Three Questions of contrast:

* What do you see as the chief difference between Jean-Luc and Jim as to crisis management and leadership style? ;)

* Time travel between TOS and TNG - e.g., how do you like that plot device and feel it was handled?

* Klingons and their culture between TNG and TOS.

~!

I'll tackle the last one first. I think the TNG handled the culture and mindset with fascinating depth and detail. :cool:

As for time travel, I like it in both TOS and TNG - what times were visited and how history was and was not altered.

* I think Picard has a diplomatic style. [face_thinking] He does know when and how to be proactive but he's more thoughtful about it if that makes sense. LOL

Either style is incredibly effective. [face_love]

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    * What do you see as the chief difference between Jean-Luc and Jim as to crisis management and leadership style? ;)
    Picard is diplomatic but also very friendly to his crew.

Kirk is more the ladies-man, seducing and in crisis often the one to rush into action

* Time travel between TOS and TNG - e.g., how do you like that plot device and feel it was handled?

I loved how time travel was handled in First contact and in the guardian of forever episode. Gary seven was great fun

* Klingons and their culture between TNG and TOS.
    The Klingons are more fleshed out in TNG. They are not the enemy anymore

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004

The Romulans in TOS and otherwise. What do you see as the most fascinating parts of their culture, and how do you think they stack up against the Klingons for ruthlessness?

Of either race, which do you see a peace treaty sticking versus falling apart?

Now mixing fandoms, LOL which one, if either, reminds you of the Empire/First Order?

~~~!

:p

Can you see Thrawn mixing it up with the Klingons or Romulans? (Wriggles!!!!)

Note: All earlier topics are still open. [face_batting]

4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Of all the STs, my favourite was Voyager.

Back when I used to do a SW club and fanzine, I dedicated my centre pages to doing comparisons between a SW vehicle and another from elsewhere, and compared the Blockade Runner to the USS Voyager.

For some reason, it appealed to me that Starfleet would design a ship to combat the Borg, with the philosophy that it could hit really hard and go toe-to-toe, but also had the option of going, "Okay, this is not going well....RUNNNN AWWWWAAAYYYYY!!!!"

Additionally, because "punctuality" is merely a several-syllable word for me, by time I tuned into the series pilot, the crew had already been beamed off the ship by the Entity, and the first ever scene that I saw was the confused EMH in an empty Medical Bay, asking where everyone was, and asking to be turned off. He became my favourite character.

The EMH features prominently in all the ST:V dvds that I own, eg. the Reginald Barclay episode where he makes contact with Voyager from the Alpha Quadrant; and when the EMH beams aboard a Starfleet vessel that has been boarded by Romulans.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  5. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Romulans are Vulcans but without the logic that keeps Vulcans peaceful. They are the barbaric people going to war and conquer. Earth equivalent: Dictators from South America or the middle east, IS and Mafia. Never at peace with any opponent and inner struggle can destroy them. In the SW- universe they are the Sith
    Klingons are warriors and even more barbaric but have their code of honor. Earth equivalent: old Mongols or Chinese, or Samourai. They can make peace with the Federation. In the SW-universe you can compare them to Mandalorians or Chiss

6. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Say what you like about retcons and hand waves, I do like how the difference between TOS and future Klingons was addressed.

"Something happened. But we do not like to talk about it"

7. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...what pulled me into the Trek Fandom? Star Trek: The Next Generation's Beverly Crusher. Strong woman, good and relatively patient mother... all things awesome and medical! (And that we got Karl Urban as McCoy for the 2009 movie didn't hurt, either.)

8. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I totally stuck this thread on my watch list as soon as I found it.

It makes me happy.

9. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    So, Star Trek Beyond? How do you think the any or all of the characters have changed/grown over the course of the trilogy?

10. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    As a group, they seem to have become the almost-family we know from TOS.

11. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Hello Cowgirl Jedi 1701! I agree. In Star Trek, I was much enamored of the chemistry between Kirk and Bones and shook my head at how Abrams had to try to shoehorn in the kirk-Spock friendship. I still like the Kirk-Bones banter, but Beyond gave more respect for the Spock character and his place in the triumvirate.

12. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    The way I look at that is in the first two movies, they were still getting to know each other. By the time of Beyond, however, they've sort of figured out who each other is. They might not know each other inside and out yet, but they've gotten to know each other well enough that they're pretty good friends, even if snarking at each other is still their favorite hobby.

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    brodiew & Cowgirl Jedi 1701 hello! @};- I love the various elements of the triumvirate. [face_laugh] Beautiful word for that trio of awesomeness!

Jim/Spock -- yes, they are definitely a gradual thing in process. Getting to know each other's ins and outs as shipmates and friends. I see them as developing into confidantes. They can be "themselves" with each other, take off their work hats so to speak. ;) Just like in SW, Han and Luke can be themselves. Luke doesn't have to be The Grand Jedi. He's just "Kid.'" [face_laugh] [face_mischief]

Jim/Bones -- these two are like siblings. Snarking big/little brothers who would walk across hot coals for the other. [face_love]

Spock/Bones -- oh yes! [face_dancing] So much snark it oozes. [face_rofl] But underneath there is true loyalty and respect, and dare I say it, affection? [face_shhh] (Bones would never admit that!) [face_laugh]

Oh yes, Daena Bev Crusher rocks. So does Jean-Luc. =P~ I found a love for Earl Grey tea immediately after he called for it from the replicator. [face_laugh]

14. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Quick! New topic, Nyota![face_dancing]

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    If you insist [face_laugh]

~~~~!!!

Writing characters -- which is the most challenging to write and why, and under what circumstances? Which is the easiest? And watching TOS/TNG, etc. and the reboot trilogy, what things have struck you as OOC that you would have written differently? :cool:

16. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    For the longest time, I found Spock intimidating to write. I was sure I wouldn't get his voice right. I still would have trouble writing TOS Spock as Leonard Nimoy's cadence is so distinctive. That said, I was so enamored of the Kirk-Bones dynamic in Star Trek that I took to them like a fish to water. Same with Nyota-Kirk in the 2009 film. Their oil and water chemistry was screen gold. That is why in my head canon, Nyota is part of the big four instead the all male big three.

I am so entrenched in ST:2009 characterizations that I think it would be a real challenge[face_idea] to write a TOS vignette of any kind.

17. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    In regard to writing characters: it can take me a while to find their voices, sometimes, depending on who the character is. I recently killed a lot of ink pens on my way to finding out what my story(s) wanted to be, versus what I thought they were going to be. And I don't know what I'd change, exactly... let me think on that. :)

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Ah, I never even considered writing Trek until 2009 [face_dancing] Best reboot since ever. [face_love] I find writing Jim rather like writing Han Solo [face_mischief] :* :*
    Spock and Nyota -- they are in their own category.
    Bones is a joy to write. Snarky and sensitive at the same time. [face_shhh] ;)

A tangential thingy -- OTPs in Trek. You know I was gonna go there. [face_laugh] ^:)^ Is it or would it be easy writing Jim with a love interest, and if so, canon (crewmate/colleague) or an OC? In TOS, which of the many potential pairings did you see as a good fit? Do you see Jim fitting well with Christine?

As for Christine, do you see her meshing well with Spock or is Ny a better fit, and why?

OK, I'll hold off on answering that one for now. :D

19. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Since I usually only write drabbles and vigs, I'm not much into OTPs. I guess, I still a shipper regarless of how prolific I am.

Spock/Nyota
    Kirk/Christine

As you, Nyota, have probably noticed over time, I prefer to write Kirk-Bones bromance rather than Kirk-Spock. Ever since 2009, I thought the Pine-Urban chemistry was much strong than Pine-Quinto.

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    In the TOS, I was always fascinated by Areel Shaw. :cool: I think Chris Chapel would be a good fit for Jim because of her compassion and resilience. Her caution would be understandable after Roger :p but his "charm" ;) would win her over. I have written and do write Jim with an OC, first conceived by Master_Jaina1011 which I lovingly adopted. She is strong and empathic, intelligent and lovely. :D

Nyota, she is all of the above. [face_love] Her singing talent is way awesome! [face_dancing] Spock, like Luke, deserves a lady who knows his true self and helps share the burdens and joys. ^:)^

21. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    I love to write Bones as he appeared in the new Trek. He is fun to interact with his medical team and of course Spock, Uhura and Kirk

22. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    When it comes to Trek fanfic, I tend to write mostly TOS, though I have written a couple fics for other series.

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    After the TOS, did it take a while to get into the Next Generation? [face_laugh] I must admit it did for me, but once I plunged in, I loved the characters. Each of them grew as individuals and I loved watching their relationships with one another. It was so cool to see Bev Crusher as a woman professional/physician and a Mom too, and her back-story history with Jean-Luc ;) And as for Riker/Troi, :) [face_sigh] Data was incredibly intriguing as a "mechanical" sentient. :cool: The worlds and situations conceived by the authors -- fantastic! =D=

What do you all think of the Trek string of movies? Which were your favorites and least? Did you think they went on too long and should've stopped? How do you think the reboot series of movies compares? Is there as much potential for depth and umph as far as plot, etc.? I would absolutely hate to hear any fan sincerely say: They should've quit while they were ahead. :eek: :rolleyes:

Personally I did not have any use for "Beyond" in the latest sequence and nothing after "Voyage Home" in the first sequence. [face_thinking]

24. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    To me looking at the differences between the series - all of them, not just TOS and TNG - is an example of the saying, "The more things change, the more they stay the same." None of them are "better" or "worse" than the others. They're just different.

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Yes, DS9 was absolutely different from the starfaring/exploring focus but still entertaining. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.