main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Timeline List of Legends works that can still reasonably fit into canon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sidv88, Dec 16, 2016.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Hi,
    Inspired by Sinrebirth's One Canon project, I have decided to make a similar, but different, approach in which I go through major Legends works (adult novels, comic book TPB's, and PC games) and list out the ones that fit Disney canon and eliminate the ones that don't.

For example, Shatterpoint is eliminated due to Rebels and Kanan featuring a sane Depa Billaba, and Dark Horse Clone Wars TPB's 3-9 are eliminated due to presenting an alternate Clone Wars take on Quinlan Vos that conflicts with the canon novel Dark Disciple.
    As for grounds for elimination, I basically use a "common sense" approach in which if a Legends work has a contradiction with canon that has no explanation in any work, it is eliminated. Dark Disciple has Quinlan and Asajj as strangers, yet Legends Dark Horse Clone Wars TPB's 3-9 say they should know each other. Since there is no work, Legends or canon, featuring Asajj and Ventress getting their memories of each other wiped, Dark Horse Clone Wars TPB's 3-9 are eliminated from this list.

Likewise, since no work features Grand Admiral Thrawn getting demoted post 2 BBY, any Legends work featuring him in a rank lower than Grand Admiral post 2 BBY is eliminated.
    Ki-Ad-Mundi is shown married with a family in 'Prelude to Rebellion', contradicting the movies' rules of no-marriage for Jedi. However, since the Legends novel 'Clone Wars: No Prisoners' specifically states Ki-Adi-Mundi is given a specific exception due to his species, and since 'Clone Wars: No Prisoners' has no major conflicts with canon that I know of, 'Prelude to Rebellion' gets to stay.
    Rogue Planet is eliminated because while No Prisoners states that married Jedi exist, it also specifically states Anakin never met one before the Clone Wars (meaning he couldn't have met Thracia Cho Leem).

Legends works that conflict with each other was handwaved in the past. Here, I will favor the Legends work that most easily fits with canon. The Darth Bane novel trilogy conflicts with the comic Jedi vs Sith regarding Pernicar's death. Only one of these two will be favored. Since TCW features Yoda knowing Bane's name and look and Jedi vs Sith leaves the door open for that (while the Darth Bane novel trilogy has Bane dying without any non-Sith knowing who he is), Jedi vs Sith makes the list while the Darth Bane novel trilogy does not. This is also supported in that new canon shows Coruscant Sith-occupied during the New Sith Wars per the Propaganda canon book, while the Darth Bane novels specifically say Coruscant is not Sith occupied.
    Darth Plagueis is eliminated because it contradicts Darth Maul's canon history with Talzin.
    Labyrinth of Evil contradicts the microseries and doesn't really leave time for Anakin to drop by Mandalore before ROTS, so it's eliminated.

Let's begin with a rough draft list I have put together, leading up to ANH. I will add more later if I have time (I will spoiler tag due to size). Apologies, for some reason it's putting out 3 spoiler tags--the 3rd one should have the list:

Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void
    Dawn of the Jedi: Force Storm
    Dawn of the Jedi: Prisoner of Bogan
    Dawn of the Jedi: Force War

Since the Dawn of the Jedi works feature the group known as Je'daii (I pronounce it like Hawaii despite what John Ostrander and Jan Duursema said on the Dark Horse forums), I consider this a separate group from the Jedi that may have really originated on Ahch-To as seen in TFA.

Tales of the Jedi Ominbus Vol. 1
    Lost Tribe of the Sith Collected Stories
    Tales of the Jedi Omnibus Vol. 2
    Knights of the Old Republic Omnibus Vols 1-3
    Knight of the Old Republic PC game
    Knights of the Old Republic 2 PC game (Steam version with restored content mod, which was given an official endorsement during the Steam rerelease)
    The Old Republic: Blood of the Empire
    Red Harvest (placed before The Old Republic: Deceived due to mention of Jedi Temple still intact)
    The Old Republic: Threat of Peace
    The Old Republic: Deceived
    The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance
    The Old Republic PC game
    The Old Republic: The Lost Suns
    The Old Republic: Annihilation
    Lost Tribe of the Sith: Spiral

(The following works may need to be redated from their Legends timeframe. The canon Propaganda book showed that the Republic Ruusan reformation was likely in 1,032 BBY, not 1,000 BBY)

Knight Errant: Aflame
    Knight Errant novel
    Knight Errant: Deluge
    Knight Errant: Escape
    Jedi vs Sith

Jedi: The Dark Side
    Rise of the Sith Omnibus
    Cloak of Deception
    Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter
    Star Wars: Starfighter
    Star Wars: Battle for Naboo
    TPM
    Omnibus: Emissaries and Assassins
    Omnibus: Quinlan Vos Jedi in Darkness (since this doesn't cover the Clone Wars, it doesn't contradict Dark Disciple)
    Omnibus: Menace Revealed
    Outbound Flight
    The Approaching Storm
    AOTC
    Republic Commando novel
    Clone Wars Microseries Vol. 1
    Dark Horse Clone Wars TPB's Vols. 1-2
    Republic Commando: Hard Contact
    Republic Commando game
    Republic Commando Triple Zero
    Cestus Deception
    Republic Commando: True Colors
    General Grievous comic
    TCW movie
    Clone Wars Wild Space
    TCW series
    Clone Wars No Prisoners
    Clone Wars: Crash Course
    Clone Wars: In Service of the Republic
    Clone Wars: Republic Heroes
    Clone Wars: Hero of the Confederacy
    Clone Wars: Wind Raiders of Taloraan
    Deadly Hands of Shon Ju
    Starcrusher Trap
    Darth Maul Death Sentence
    Defenders of the Lost Temple
    Clone Wars Microseries Vol. 2
    ROTS
    Republic Commando: Order 66
    Kenobi
    Star Wars Purge TPB
    Darth Vader and the Lost Command
    Dark Times comic series
    Darth Vader and 9th Assassin
    The Last Jedi
    Darth Vader and Cry of Shadows
    Droids cartoon series
    Omnibus Droids
    Lando Calrissian novels
    Han Solo Adventures (not Trilogy)
    Agent of the Empire
    Star Wars Empire Vol 1
    Shadow Games
    Star Wars Empire at War

BigAl6ft6 and spicer like this.
  2. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
  3. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I remember we all thought that in the first issue, but later issues of Kanan showed there was no realistic way to reconcile with Shatterpoint

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm sorry I can't resist this quip:

I know Sinrebirth, you are no Sinrebirth.

Sinrebirth and Force Smuggler like this.
  5. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    :(

I just thought this was an interesting unofficial project that would be able to bridge Legends and canon fans together. I consider it more akin to what Leland was initially supposed to do with his holocron pre-Disney than Sinrebirth's project. His requires a lot of difficult retcons, while Leland's work eliminated stuff from canon when necessary (i.e. Star Wars: Obsession once TCW came out).

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Sorry, should have made it clear I was playing around only with that.

Though, more seriously, you do know the magnitude of what you're taking on here? Sinny only makes it look easy.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  7. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It isn't easy at all. That's why I posted the idea to see if others wanted to contribute. In fact, I'm not sure how much time I could devote to this considering I have a lot of busy real world commitments.

BookExogorth and Jedi Ben like this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Excellent idea then, get it going and then delegate!

Sinrebirth likes this.
  9. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    To be fair, considering the low probability of any new Legends works coming out, this list of Legends works that can still fit will only get smaller over time as new Disney works that contradict the EU come out...

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, so you fear this place will stop talking about it all? That'd be a first. ;)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    For others who want to help, I used the http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_Legends_media link found here, and eliminated what I could using my own knowledge of the new Disney canon (watching Rebels, reading the new novels, watching the new films and reading the new comics). Someone with a more thorough knowledge of the new stuff can see if anything on this list that contradicts canon should be removed.

In retrospect, I think Empire at War probably should be removed too. Without getting into Rogue One spoilers, I think it may contradict it.

12. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    I'll have to note to make my own take, except rather than One Canon or linked possibilities like this, I'd note the major points of divergence from Legends and Nu-Canon's timelines. Can't really do this idea until we get word on the Old Republic period though.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  13. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    If Malachor in Rebels is Malachor 5, then the point of divergence would likely be whether Meetra Surik turns to the dark side in KOTOR 2. She stays light--Malachor is destroyed and leads to Legends timeline. She goes dark, Malachor is intact and leads to Disney timeline.

For this project, I'm assuming the Malachor in KOTOR 2 is Malachor 2 or Malachor 3

14. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    The original Dark Forces still fits, if you consider Kyle stole not the "actual" Death Star plans. But perhaps a decoy.

15. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Hmm, but is this explanation given in any Legends or canon work? In the rules I outlined in my first post, I don't make retcons unless they are specified in a work.

16. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I really, really, really hope that LFL canonizes all Legends stories that fit with the canon. In fact, I suggested the same thing in a different thread some time ago.

From your list though, I don't think that all of the stories can be included in canon "for good", because there is a very high probability some of those stories will get contradicted at some point. I'm talking about everything Old Republic (Dawn of the Jedi, KOTOR, Knight Errant, Tales of the Jedi, Lost Tribe of the Sith...), because it is almost certain that era will be substantially different in canon. For example, if LFL re-canonizes Tales of the Jedi they'll "tie their hands" by having to rely on the lore established in that series (and the events in Tales of the Jedi are very influential in the history of SW). For now, TOTJ can fit just fine, but it's only a matter of time before we get a canonical Old Republic. And if the canonical version is remarkably similar to that in TOTJ, then what was to point of establishing a new canon in the first place?

I also don't think that stories with significant outcomes for major movie characters are "safe" to re-canonize (such as Jedi: the Dark Side, Kenobi, the Lando Calrissian novels...). So, for example, unless Qui-Gon has had a human male Padawan that fell to the dark side before Obi-Wan in the canon, I don't think stories like Jedi: the Dark Side or the Jedi Apprentice series can be included. However, if such a backstory for Qui-Gon is even hinted, then I think it would be wise for LFL to include those Legends stories in canon, because why reinvent the wheel? I feel that certain stories that are referenced in canon but are now Legends should be canon again. What was the mission on Ansion Anakin and Obi-Wan were assigned to before AOTC? Just read The Approaching Storm. There's really no need for a brand new mission to Ansion story, because frankly it's not very important. One can argue that that story can be left untold in canon completely, but if you have it prepared already in a Legends novel, why not have the same in canon? Same goes for Darth Maul: Death Sentence. At the beginning of TCW season 5 we are told that Maul and Savage caused some trouble in the mean time. Why leaving that story untold in canon, or waste time coming up with something else, when that story is fine as it is and fits with the new stuff? Then there are stories that are so self contained, there's no way they'll ever be contradicted unless LFL intentionally contradicts them just for the sake of it. Starfighter and Dark Times are some examples. Episodes I-VI are shared between canon and Legends, so maybe we can include a few novels, comics and video games too.

Just my two cents.

17. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I don't assume all the list stories can be included in canon for good. That's why I said, this list will inevitably get smaller as new contradicting canon comes out. However, I can't predict what Disney will do next and am leaving stuff like Tales of the Jedi in until further notice. Same goes for stuff like Xanatos stories etc--it's in unless specifically contradicted in future canon.

Darth Maul: Death Sentence and Approaching Storm are included in my list. I agree, it is unlikely these would be contradicted in future canon, although you never know.

I will try to add to this list (Legends material from ANH onwards) if I have time. Real world is busy at the moment. If someone wants to proceed, they are welcome to do so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

spicer likes this.
  18. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001

Because it's the prologue level and really has nothing to do with the rest of the game, which is firmly about Kyle shutting down the Dark Trooper project.

In any case, the original KOTOR games I'd wager are safe canonically. There's simply been too many acknowledgements for a "broadstrokes" version of events not to have taken place.

We have Manaan, Taris, Korriban, Malachor, Republic cruisers, Kylo Ren's armor being a near copy of Revan's, etc.

I'm not saying it's a one to one, but I wouldn't worry.

19. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Although it's the prologue level, the theft of the Death Star plans takes up a major 30 minutes or so of first time players of Dark Forces. Without spoiling Rogue One, I'm just not sure how it can fit.

What I'm trying to build here is a list of Legends works that newcomers to the franchise can enjoy seamlessly alongside the new Disney canon and printed material without going "Hey, this doesn't fit what I just saw in the last movie/Marvel comic/Filoni episode/novel". (Those pesky Legends timelines and in-universe dates printed on the first/last pages of the Legends works will have to be ignored or else this list will be completely empty)

By this logic, short of another work retconning Dark Forces to fit into Rogue One, Dark Forces just doesn't fit, even if the Death Star plans in the game are only a small portion of the whole game.

spicer likes this.
  20. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Dark Forces, and specifically the theft of the Death Star plans (or at least a part of them) doesn't really fit in canon. Yeah, I suppose it can be retconned for the purpose of the "One Canon" (which I actually like, but I can understand why it may not be favoured by everyone), but ultimately I think it should be left out due to Rogue One. Afterall, one of the reasons a new canon was created is to avoid retcons (hopefully).

Ideally we should focus on Legends stories that require no retcons to fit in canon imo.

21. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Am I the only one who has accepted that everything pre-2014 is Legends and everything post-2014 is Canon?

Seriously, nothing can be done to reconcile both sides. Just accept like I do with Game of Thrones and A Song of Ice and Fire.

22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    *points at One Canon*

Well at least some of it can be...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Where's the fun in that?

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Especially when people like Luceno do appear to be reusing material from their Legends books. Suggesting they consider them canonizable to some degree.

25. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Some events can't be reconciled between the two, although some individuals can still be brought into Canon (like Thrawn, for example). Since we've seen Armand Isard, it's possible old "Iceheart" herself could make a return appearance.

Sinrebirth likes this.