main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Timeline List of Legends works that can still reasonably fit into canon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sidv88, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    He was between lightsabers. Marvel had him using a blue one before a green one in the original Legends comics, I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    The issue is that in Moving Target (which takes place after the Bothans found the Death Star plans), Leia and Luke openly discuss Luke not having a lightsaber. She asks him something like "What will you do without your lightsaber".

Shadows of the Empire is when the Bothans found the Death Star plans (that space battle involving Dash). Luke had already built his green lightsaber at the time. If he was using this or Baron Tagge's blue lightsaber, he has no reason to pretend to Leia he doesn't have a lightsaber in Moving Target. Thus, SOTE and the Marvel comics can't be in continuity with the canon book Moving Target.

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Didn't he lose the Tagge blue lightsaber at some point...?

4. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    No I don't believe he did. It's not even officially acknowledged Luke took Baron Tagge's lightsaber, just a fanon explanation (as far as I know) on why Luke has a blue lightsaber in the old Marvel comics post ESB.

As it is, I plan on having the Shadows of the Empire game fit into canon, just not the novel or comic book versions due to Luke's lightsaber. It also is more plausible that Dash planted multiple bombs to destroy Xizor's castle, not just 1 thermal detonator thrown by Lando.

5. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I'm basically done with my list for now, see below for my complete list including Legends works past ESB and beyond ROTJ that I feel can fit into Disney canon. People can feel free to add things I've missed (young adult books particularly, or comic one-shots), or point out contradictions to canon in works in the list that you feel should be removed. I feel I've hit the main points on what Legends works can still be canon leading up to TFA.

I left some wiggle room--I kept the Legends retcon of Fett returning in the Bounty Hunter Wars, and also assumed Luke had some kind of full-fledged Jedi Order before Kylo wiped them out. This allows for the Jedi Academy PC game and Star Wars: Scourge to be included in the list. We can assume that Kylo and the Knights of Ren wiped out Jaden Korr, Kyle Katarn, and Mander Zuma, adding to their fearsome reputation.

Hope everyone enjoyed this list!

The list (spoilered for size):
    Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void
    Dawn of the Jedi: Force Storm
    Dawn of the Jedi: Prisoner of Bogan
    Dawn of the Jedi: Force War

Since the Dawn of the Jedi works feature the group known as Je'daii (I pronounce it like Hawaii despite what John Ostrander and Jan Duursema said on the Dark Horse forums), I consider this a separate group from the Jedi that may have really originated on Ahch-To as seen in TFA.

Tales of the Jedi Ominbus Vol. 1
    Lost Tribe of the Sith Collected Stories
    Tales of the Jedi Omnibus Vol. 2
    Knights of the Old Republic Omnibus Vols 1-3
    Knight of the Old Republic PC game
    Knights of the Old Republic 2 PC game (Steam version with restored content mod, which was given an official endorsement during the Steam rerelease)
    The Old Republic: Blood of the Empire
    Red Harvest (placed before The Old Republic: Deceived due to mention of Jedi Temple still intact)
    The Old Republic: Threat of Peace
    The Old Republic: Deceived
    The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance
    The Old Republic PC game
    The Old Republic: The Lost Suns
    The Old Republic: Annihilation
    Lost Tribe of the Sith: Spiral

(The following works may need to be redated from their Legends timeframe. The canon Propaganda book showed that the Republic Ruusan reformation was likely in 1,032 BBY, not 1,000 BBY)

Knight Errant: Aflame
    Knight Errant novel
    Knight Errant: Deluge
    Knight Errant: Escape
    Jedi vs Sith

Jedi: The Dark Side
    Rise of the Sith Omnibus
    Cloak of Deception
    Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter
    Star Wars: Starfighter
    Star Wars: Battle for Naboo
    TPM
    Omnibus: Emissaries and Assassins
    Omnibus: Quinlan Vos Jedi in Darkness (since this doesn't cover the Clone Wars, it doesn't contradict Dark Disciple)
    Omnibus: Menace Revealed
    Outbound Flight
    The Approaching Storm
    AOTC
    Republic Commando novel
    Clone Wars Microseries Vol. 1
    Dark Horse Clone Wars TPB's Vols. 1-2
    Clone Wars Adventures (comic series)
    Republic Commando: Hard Contact
    Republic Commando game
    Republic Commando Triple Zero
    Cestus Deception
    Republic Commando: True Colors
    General Grievous comic
    TCW movie
    Clone Wars Wild Space
    TCW series
    Clone Wars No Prisoners
    Clone Wars: Crash Course
    Clone Wars: In Service of the Republic
    Clone Wars: Republic Heroes
    Clone Wars: Hero of the Confederacy
    Clone Wars: Wind Raiders of Taloraan
    Deadly Hands of Shon Ju
    Starcrusher Trap
    Darth Maul Death Sentence
    Defenders of the Lost Temple
    Clone Wars Microseries Vol. 2
    ROTS
    Republic Commando: Order 66
    Kenobi
    Star Wars Purge TPB (except Seconds to Die due to it contradicting the new Marvel Vader series)
    Darth Vader and the Lost Command
    Dark Times comic series
    Darth Vader and 9th Assassin
    The Last Jedi
    Darth Vader and Cry of Shadows
    Droids cartoon series
    Omnibus Droids
    Lando Calrissian novels
    Han Solo Adventures (not Trilogy)
    Agent of the Empire
    Star Wars Empire Vol 1
    Shadow Games
    Star Wars Empire at War
    ANH
    Star Wars A Long Time Ago Vol. 1: Doomworld
    Scoundrels
    Shadow Stalker
    River of Chaos
    Rebellion: My Brother, My Enemy
    Rebellion: The Ahakista Gambit
    Rebellion: Small Victories
    Star Wars Adventures: Chewbacca and the Slavers of the Shadowlands
    Honor Among Thieves
    Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine
    Splinter of the Mind's Eye (comic book adaptation)
    Star Wars Adventures: Princess Leia and the Royal Ransom
    Star Wars Adventures: Boba Fett and the Ship of Fear
    Empire and Rebellion: Razor's Edge
    Rebel Heist
    Rebel Mission to Ord Mantell
    ESB
    Star Wars Adventures: Luke Skywalker and the Treasure of the Dragonsnakes
    Star Wars Adventures: The Will of Darth Vader
    Star Wars: Droid World book and audio
    Star Wars: Planet of the Hoojibs book and audio
    X-Wing vs TIE Fighter and Balance of Power PC game
    Ewoks cartoon tv series
    Ewoks: Shadows of Endor
    Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure
    Ewoks: The Battle for Endor
    Shadows of the Empire PC game
    Battle of the Bounty Hunters
    ROTJ
    Mara Jade: By the Emperor's Hand
    The Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy
    Truce at Bakura
    The Vandelheim Mission
    Shadows of the Empire: Evolution
    The Jabba Tape
    Boba Fett: Twin Engines of Destruction
    Jedi Academy PC game
    Star Wars: Scourge

Sith Iratus, Grievousdude and spicer like this.
  6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Thank you for compiling the list! However, I have a small remark on the Purge TPB. Purge: Seconds to Die can't fit within canon because

*SPOILER FOR THE NEW DARTH VADER SERIES BY MARVEL*
    in Seconds to Die, Anakin/Vader is shown killing Jocasta Nu in the Jedi Temple during the initial execution of Order 66, and we now know that Nu survives Order 66 in canon.
    But for now, all other Purge stories can fit.

sidv88 likes this.
  7. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Thanks! My post was still recent enough that I made the edit to remove Seconds to Die from the list. Thanks a lot!

spicer likes this.
  8. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Personally, except for that first level in the game, I think the whole story of both Dark Forces and Jedi Knight could still fit canon. Jerec being an Inquisitor could be the only problem, but they could get around that, or he could simply be presented as one in canon...

Jarrus likes this.
  9. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I tend towards a common sense approach--Rogue One makes it clear there were no other Death Star plan heists other than Jyn's. Kyle Katarn's first level in Dark Forces just doesn't fit short of an extremely forced explanation, so Dark Forces 1 doesn't make the list (and as a result Dark Forces 2 and Jedi Knight 2 because what would they be sequels to?).

Jedi Academy makes the list because it's title and manual don't clearly make it a sequel to another work (just pretend Tavion and Kyle Katarn have some untold history).

10. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    Ohh, I understand! I was thinking of them like individual stories; except for that first mission, Dark Forces is about Kyle Katarn dealing with the Dark Trooper proyect, that was a response to the destruction of the Death Star. In Jedi Knight, he is trying to stop a High Inquisitor that seeks the Valley of the Jedi, and is set in a time period that hasn´t been explored in canon... so in those two particular stories, I meant, I see nothing conflictive yet...

11. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I know what you mean, but for simplicity of this list I'm taking a work as a whole--if any element contradicts Disney canon, it's out. Otherwise, I would be parsing through hundreds of EU works and dividing up what elements fit in each work and what doesn't--something that I feel goes beyond what I intended for this list.

In theory, any work on this list could be labeled as Disney canon without any changes to the work itself, and still fit. They can't do that with Dark Forces--everyone now would notice as soon as they play the game on the first level that it doesn't line up with Rogue One.

12. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    Sure, I get it. It makes perfect sense with that criteria in mind, and it´s a very interesting list!

13. I know it's impossible but I would like the Kotor era to remain intact I love it a lot and for me the Kotor games are a thousand times better than all the 7 movies

It was a tragedy that they eliminated all the lore of Kotor

14. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    OK, I'm not entirely sure, but has Disney done any new material about the Old Republic era?

Because if not, then a lot of the Old Republic EU material still fits, right?

15. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    They have done very little with it so far. About the only things we know about the Old Republic so far in canon is the little bits of information TCW, Rebels, and some of the comics have mentioned. Yes most all of the legends Old Republic story could still fit (infact what little we know about the old republic up to this point supports the legends stories more than it does contradict them). Only thing so far that could be that different is that it might not go back quite as far in the timeline as legends does.

16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    The Hundred Years Darkness is still in 7,000 BBY.

17. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Actually, I don't believe this is stated anywhere in new canon. An issue of canon Marvel Star Wars stated that the Sith came from the Hundred Year Darkness, and the novel Tarkin states that the Sith shrine under the Jedi Temple is at least 5,000 years old as of 14 BBY. I don't believe the new canon Sith origin date has gotten any more specific than that...

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Indeed. All we can say for sure is that the Hundred Years Darkness occurred at least 6,000 years before the Imperial era.

19. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Why 6,000? I know Wookieepedia says so at http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hundred-Year_Darkness , but it's source is the novel Tarkin and unless I missed something Tarkin only refers to the Sith shrine being 5,000 years old, not 6,000...

20. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005
    Actually, there really is no contradiction between Rebels and Kotor 2, here. Malachor 5 was destroyed at the end of The Sith Lords. Malachor (the planet, not the moon, since the "5" was never mentioned) is shown in Rebels, and the Jedi remains there, were left from a battle that was fought before the Hyperspace War.

21. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Malachor 5 isn't a moon, it's the 5th planet in the Malachor system. The Malachor in Rebels could be Malachor II or Malachor III, both mentioned in the game 'The Old Republic' as being habitable.

22. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005
    Forgive me, I was using Yavin IV logic. Any reason why the Malachor in Rebels couldn't be Malachor I?

23. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I suppose it could be Malachor I...

24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Too close to the sun maybe?

25. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    (If memory serves me right, the current Star Wars manual of style has it that Roman numerals are for planets, and Arabic numerals for moons.)