main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Timeline List of Legends works that can still reasonably fit into canon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sidv88, Dec 16, 2016.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I remember playing the Super Nintendo game Star Trek the Next Generation: Future's Past, where numbers were for planets and letters for moons. An actual moon from the game is Orientis Gamma IIIB.

2. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005
    Really? How mysterious. Tell me more of this, manual of style....[face_hypnotized]

3. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I mean that's a rule Pablo Hidago (and presumably the rest of the Story Group) uses, and I think that convention dates back to the days of West End Games. I seem to remember that Pablo tweeted about it, but that was a long time ago.

EDIT: Ah, found it! The Twitter convo implies that there are indeed "design docs" who are handed to partners.

4. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I think this is only becoming a thing now that movies like Rogue One are outright writing out the names of planets/moons on the screen. I wonder if future anthology movies will do this, or if the episodic movies (Ep. 8 and forward) will pick up that practice too.

Also, I don't know why they didn't outright write 'Mustafar - Temple of the Sith' for the Vader scene in Rogue One when they wrote out all the other planet names. Yes, I know they wanted to preserve the surprise of Vader's appearance, but it's a surprise that then gets spoiled a few seconds later anyway... If anything, writing out the planet name would have hyped up the anticipation of the audience members who recognize it.

5. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    In anticipation for Episode 8, I decided to do some fan headcanon and determine the makeup of Luke's New Jedi Order that Kylo Ren killed. Since it doesn't seem we're getting ANY material about these guys, we can fill them in with Legends works. From my list in this thread, there are only 2 EU works about the New Jedi Order that can fit into Disney canon so far without any changes--the PC game Jedi Academy and the novel Scourge. With the help of wookieepedia, I compiled a list of all named Jedi from these works that would still be alive by the time of Kylo's purge--

Corran Horn
    Kyle Katarn
    Jaden Korr
    Rosh Penin
    Raltharan
    Streen
    Tionne
    Mander Zuma

We can all pretend these are the Jedi killed by Kylo until Disney tells us otherwise (if they ever). Some fellow students of Kylo may have become the Knights of Ren--I'm imagining right now that Rosh Penin is a member.

And despite all the hype around Kyle Katarn, anyone who's actually played a Dark Forces/Jedi Knight game knows he's quite killable, so I have no problems believing Kylo killed him.

PCCViking likes this.
  6. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I just want Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison to be canon. Then I can die happy.

spicer likes this.
  7. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I don't think it fits my list. The Jedi Temple isn't being made into the Imperial Palace, and I think Tarkin is a Moff before he's made one in canon? But I'll have to reread it.

8. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    By the time of the novel Tarkin, he's already a Moff. It's the events of that book that cause him to be made Grand Moff.

9. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Hmm ok, maybe it can fit... I'll have to reread it.

10. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Ghost Prison takes place ~2-3 months after ROTS. At the moment we don't know when exactly the temple is turned into a palace. So, no contradictions yet.

sidv88 likes this.
  11. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    They probably had to air out the temple for a few months just to get rid of the scent of all the crispy dead Jedi before they could move in.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

12. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    If new canon Palpatine actually cared about that, he'd just build himself a proper Imperial Palace like in Legends. I'm guessing he wanted all of those dead Jedi stuff around to give him satisfaction because he hates them so much.

It still strikes me as an odd change--you go through all of this trouble to take over the galaxy just to move into an old building designed for asceticism? You'd want to enjoy the reweards of your labors by having the latest best coolest building to live in...

13. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    It was the most convenient available large parcel of land, and it did have the Jedi archives, that's valuable stuff right there. He should've torn it down though, renovations always take longer than you think they will.

14. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Um, have you read the most recent Darth Vader comic from Marvel? https://www.comixology.com/Darth-Va...taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL3NsaWRlckxpc3Qvc2VyaWVz

15. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    Um, no, I've fallen way behind on my comics (and everything else, come to think of it. I was really just hoping it wouldn't contradict me. I did read other comics which did show very little in the way of interior our exterior renovations, so I assume Palps has, like, a swinging bachelor pad somewhere inside that place or something.

But there's a millennia of possible important information in that building. Who knows what a youngling might've carved into a bunk bed or a wall somewhere about a secret they shouldn't have known? It would take years to catalogue everything in there because any trinket or scratching could be a key to something.

16. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Do you want me to spoil the comic for you? Let's just say that one of the benefits you claim of getting the temple as a palace is no longer valid.

17. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    Spoil away

18. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    spoiler for Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith comic 9
    Jocasta Nu completely wiped the Temple archives and library. All of it, seemingly permanently. Precisely so the Sith can't access it. If Palpatine wants to live in the Jedi Temple now, it's not going to be for the vast library.

19. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    Smart, but I'm betting Yoda had some stuff in his quarters. Plus the bathroom graffiti.
    And did she "burn it ro the ground" destroy, or "wipe the electronic records" destroy? Both wound be bad, but personally I'd find am ancient tapestry without any context of who or why or what or where even more infuriating than nothing.

20. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    There's a Sith shrine under the Temple. Maybe that's something that Palps found alluring and decided he had to live there?

Sith Iratus likes this.
  21. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Forgot about that. Yeah, I guess he wants that.

22. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    And if he tore down the Jedi Temple but not the Sith Shrine underneath and built on top of that, people might start asking "why do you like that Sith Shrine so much? That's a little weird."

He should've kept the central spire and knocked down the rest. To symbolize his singular control over everything. And as a symbolic middle finger to the Jedi.

Vialco and Sinrebirth like this.
  23. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    In light of Episode 8, I understand that many (including myself) have disagreements on where LFL/Disney is taking the franchise and miss the Legends direction despite its many flaws. Since this thread is basically done since no new Legends works are coming, I am contemplating starting a new thread where we decide what Canon works can fit into the Legends timeframe.

Singular episodes like 'Twin Suns' from Rebels (but not the Rebels cartoon as a whole) can fit into Legends since it resolves Maul's Legends fate. The Ahsoka novel might fit, and the canon Anakin and Obi-Wan Marvel comic book fits into Legends right after the Jedi Quest comic book. What do people think? Is this a project that should be started? Unlike this thread here, as canon works come out unrelated to the ST, we might find that they find a place in the thousand years encompassing Legends timeline, allowing for a chance to enrich the Legends universe despite no new Legends material coming out.

(Slightly off-topic, but I'm unclear if I want new "official" Legends material without the best Legends writers involved--I don't want an official continuation of Legends only to be told that Luke indeed ran off to hide on Tython after Crucible, Jaina stabbed her father after going to the Dark Side and creating the Knights of Ren--I mean, Imperial Knights, and Leia is leading an army against her daughter after realizing Jaina made a mistake marrying into the Empire).

24. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I'm not ready to give up hope for more Legends! And I think there is a chance to have the best SW writers be involved in additional Legends stories, as well as canon. Zahn is back writing canon novels, and if I am not mistaken, he is involved with a Chiss storyline for TOR, so there you go, one of the best Legends authors is back working in Legends and canon too. Luceno, Paul S. Kemp, JJM, Jason Fry, Dan Wallace are still here (am I missing anyone?). I can't think of a reason why wouldn't they be involved with new Legends stories should LFL allow their continuation. Being primarily a comic book reader, I am sorely missing Stradley, Ostrander, Blackman and Hardman & Bechko. I think there is a chance...or at least I want to believe (cue the X-Files theme). And this thread may not be done yet. You can update the list by adding Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison, as discussed above, there's no reason why it can't fit in canon :)

As for which canon stories can fit with Legends, I think the list is even more limiting than which Legends stories can fit in canon. I've nothing against such a thread, but personally, I'm more invested in this one, as I believe (at least hope) that some Legends stories will eventually become official canon. It has happened already, as those OT junior novels were edited and re-published as canon and Mist Encounter was made canon in Thrawn. Who says those are the last Legends works to become canon?

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So:

The Sith are Dead - Yoda
    The Jedi are Dead - Sidious