main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Timeline of the trilogies

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by gregvader123, Nov 18, 2012.

1. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    My apologies if this has been discussed previously.

I'm wondering about the amount of years the sequel trilogy episodes will take place over.

Okay so I know we have episode I then ten years pass between I and II. Then a year or 2 between AOTC and ROTS--I think, correct me if I'm wrong.

19 years pass between the PT an the OT.

2 or 3 years pass between ANH an ESB. Then a year between ESB and ROTJ--again, I think, correct me if I'm wrong.

39 years pass between the OT and the ST. At least, that's the amount of time I've seen most often and it will have been about 31 Earth years since the release of ROTJ and the filming of episode VII, assuming that filming starts in 2014.

Now is there any information on the amount of time between episodes VII and VIII, and between VIII and IX? I haven't been able to find any in the old sources, but then again I may only be trying and not doing.

2. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    You haven't found any information because there isn't any. :)

3. gregvader123

Nov 16, 2012
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! I refuse to believe it! ;)

Probably true though.

I remember first reading about the timeline of the PT (about how episodes I and II would be 10 years apart...) But I don't remember when. Does anyone remember how far along they were into production of PT when that info was released? I know that's probably asking alot LOL. Just trying to estimate when we'll see this info.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    3 years between AoTC and RoTS (unless Lucas changes it in the wake of the TCW series).

3 years between ANH and ESB.

gregvader123 likes this.
  5. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    something like 6months to a year between ESB and ROTJ, isn't it?

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Shadows of the Empire took place halfway through that 1 year interval.

7. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    There isn't any info about ST time because there is no info about the ST's content yet. The news only came out a few weeks ago. They don't have the entire detailed storyline fleshed out.

gregvader123 likes this.
  8. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012

This how it breaks down as far as I am aware--

TPM--32 BBY
    AotC--22 BBY
    RotS--19 BBY
    ANH--0 BY
    TESB--3 ABY
    RotJ--4 ABY

36 years between EPs I and VI

We don't have any definitive answer as to when Ep VII will take place, because TPTB have not given us such details, but I think its safe to say it will be at least 34 ABY (and I speculate it will be 45 to 50 ABY, with nothing but the age of the big 3 and the ages of young protagonists from the EU TPTB could use in the ST--which is certainly no guarantee and more of a wish on my part).

9. gregvader123

Nov 16, 2012
    Well this is just nonsensical thinking since Lucas will make it 30-whatever years after ROTJ or more or less as he sees fit but....

A 24 year old Mark Hamill played a 19 year old Luke Skywalker in ANH. So at the filming of ROTJ in '81-'82 Hamill was 30-31. The OT takes place over 4 years so at the Battle of Endor Luke Skywalker is 23. If we go with Jobertus' 36 year span between OT an ST, Skywalker would be 59. Hamill is currently 61. (But looks 81. He better hit the gym and a facial.)

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That was one of the reasons I thought 50 years between ANH and Episode VII made more sense.

11. Jobertus

Oct 31, 2012
    I said it's a 36 year time span between TPM and RotJ. I speculate that, due to the ages of the big 3, the ST will be a minimum of 30 years after RotJ and quite possibly as much as 50 years post-RotJ. The latter number being the hope of an EU fan who likes Jaina Solo and Ben Skywalker and holds out hope they will be used as the new main protagonists of the ST. Given the ages of Hamill, Fisher, and Ford, and the ages of Jaina (36) and Ben (18) in 45 ABY it makes perfect sense in my mind to use them and set Episode VII in 45 ABY.

Plebeian likes this.
  12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I tend to agree. 45 ABY's a pretty reasonable date- 50 ABY might be a little on the late side but not necessarily disastrously so.

13. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I personally think it will be 45-50 ABY beacause the give you a fresh start after the EU timeline & is the right age range for the big 3.....I think the timeline of the new trilogy could be up to 10 years especially if they use Allana Solo who will be 8 or 9 yo at 45 ABY so it would be interesting to see her develope over a 10 year period much the same as Anakin from EP1 to EP2 .

14. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    again, this depends on how much of the EU they decide to keep. Han and Leia could have two grown kids call Micah and Artie, for all we know. And Luke could be married to someone called Jezebel, or just not married at all.

15. gregvader123

Nov 16, 2012
    Ah, sorry I misread what you wrote.

One would think the time between OT and ST would be shortened. The reason being that I would assume Lucas is throwing out EU. Han and Leia are obviously "together" at the end of ROTJ and one would assume they would have children very soon after. Hell they probably conceived a baby jedi on Wicket the Ewok's little straw bed during the Endor celebrations. I'm discarding EU. If you don't, 30-50 years after OT would make for middle-aged protagonists and no one wants to see actors like John Travolta and Jenifer Aniston wielding lightsabers. They want actors like Team Twilight Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart. Maybe that hot chick from hunger games. Pattinson and Stewart are perfect now that I think about it. They are best suited to continue the tradition of emotionless, card-board acting in Star Wars movies which was started by Pokeface himself: Hayden Christensen.

16. Jobertus

Oct 31, 2012
    No worries, bro. Without details from TPTB we have nothing to go on as to when the ST will take place other than some time that fits with the ages of the actors who portray the big 3, (that is where the 30ish years post-RotJ time comes up in my mind.) As an EU fan, and fan of the characters of Jaina Solo and Ben Skywalker, that is where I get the 41-46 years post-RotJ time-frame. But there is nothing to say that the ST won't feature completely new Skywalker characters, in which case the math gets different in spite of the ages of Hamill, Fisher, and Ford.

17. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    What if it was 1982 right now? What if Star Wars VII was coming out in 1985 instead of 2015? Because then the next film would have to take place right after the Return of the Jedi, that is if they were sticking with the big three: Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, & Carrie Fisher.

Would it have been better if the seventh film took place right after Return of the Jedi? I guess it is better to wait thirty years to separate the Original Trilogy from the Sequel Trilogy. The Prequel Trilogy is separated from OT by about nineteen years. That must be the pattern. Luke & Leia are born during the Revenge of the Sith, which means they were going to be about twenty years old in about twenty years from the ROTS. That kind of forces A New Hope to be around twenty years after the third episode of Star Wars.

But there are no kids born in the sixth movie. That means that the kids are not exactly film cannon yet. It also means that we do not know if they will have any kids either. I hope they do have some kids. I also kind of want Luke to have kids too. But if they do have kids, we won't know yet when they had the kids.

I kind of wish they made more films with the big three in the 1980's and 1990's, but I guess that either George Lucas didn't have enough money to make more films or maybe he really did want to wait thirty years. Plus, Lucas really wanted to get the PT done before contemplating the ST.

18. Jobertus

Oct 31, 2012
    I like the idea of seeing Luke as a bad*** Jedi Master, so I'm actually okay with the way in which things have turned out, but it is safe to say that the way the ST will turn out now is going to be totally different than it would have been 20 or more years ago.

19. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    Luke or Leia or even Han Solo? Which one should be turned to the dark side? We should start a new thread and take a poll. Most fans would rather none of the big three get corrupted, but it could make for a daring tale.

20. Jobertus

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't see it happening Joey, it's possible I suppose, but I just don't see it happening.

21. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    Han is not Force sensitive.

and Luke and Leia are not going to go Dark.

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Replace "go dark" with "become a villain or very dark antihero" in that case.

I don't think it would happen though.

23. gregvader123

Nov 16, 2012
    Yeah Luke or Leia will not turn because I highly doubt those characters will be the focus. They will be supporting baton passers. I remember an early ending to ROTJ was to have Luke kill Vader and take his place at the Emperor's side, setting up for Leia to confront her brother in the ST. I don't know if that ending was seriously considered.

If we go with a 30-50 year time between OT an ST, potential Skywalker offspring would be middle aged and could possibly have children of their own. Say Han and Leia have a non-EU child shortly after ROTJ. That child could reproduce in his or her early 20's and with 39 years separating OT and ST that could make for a teenage Skywalker, the great-grandchild of Anakin. That would make for three generations of Skywalkers in the ST that could be tempted to the darkside.

Pure speculation of course.

24. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    Why not have the next film a century or more after Return of the Jedi & have Luke & Anakin force ghosts help the new protagonists save the day from a huge unknown mess?

25. gregvader123

Nov 16, 2012
    Nah, because if you're still gonna have force ghosts of Luke and Leia you are still faced with who is the current protagonist that is connected to these Skywalkers and what do they need help with? Same ****, different century. Plus it seems that Lucas intends on having live flesh and blood Luke and Leia in the ST