main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Timewarp or Incest?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Plo_Koen, Mar 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Something occured to me: When you watch the Star Wars episodes in chronological order, there will be a dilemma with Leia's identity:

If you know who she is, the kiss in ESB will be icky, and the revelation in ROTJ will be lost.

But If you don't know who she is, ANH will be confusing, because there will be no way to tell that 20 years have passed since episode III, until you get to the Lars' homested.

Which do you think is the lesser evil?

2. DarthFx3

DarthFx3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2003
    I hope they don't tell us either of the twin's names. The less they tie in the pt and the ot with specific details the better. One thing I would love is if we DIDN'T see DV in "the suit", that way when Leia says his name it like "OMG Ani survived as THAT!!" , and no Padme death. The more questions left un answered the more compelling the OT will be.

3. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    I feel it necessary to point something out about that kiss. She didn't do it at that moment because she was attracted to Luke. She did it to make Han jealous because he was the one causing the party in her pants.

4. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    But it's still the most disturbing image of the entire Saga. ;)

-Otis

5. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    ObiWanJohn,

Of course that kiss was perfectly innocent, but in this scenario it's not about what they think, but what we think. ;)

I prefer not knowing myself, I even think the confusing start of ANH would add another twist to the saga.

6. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    But If you don't know who she is, ANH will be confusing, because there will be no way to tell that 20 years have passed since episode III, until you get to the Lars' homested.

I don't see how this is a problem.

7. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    In AOTC, I found it a confusing moment to suddenly see a 10 year older Obi-Wan and Anakin, without warning. And that was only 5 minutes into the movie. For me it would have been better if it was somehow worked into the opening crawl...

But as I said, it could also provide a nice twist in ANH to suddenly see an old Owen and Beru, and a grown up Luke.

8. Max Rebo

Max Rebo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 1998
    the simple solution is to just watch the movies in the order Lucas made them.

9. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    Max Rebo, I know that Leia is Luke's sister since 1983.

But whenever I do a OT marathon, I never really start thinking about Leia as Luke's sister until ROTJ (ok, the end of ESB maybe)

When I do a Saga marathon in the future, I would like it to be the same (although I don't see it happening)

My point is that there would be a curious side-effect to it...

10. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    But it's still the most disturbing image of the entire Saga.
    I think the inside of the wampa is more disgusting personally.

And you want to watch all 6 movies in a row, that is about 15 hrs strait of a gffa. Better person than me.

11. Jedi_Flux

Jedi_Flux Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2004
    Well Leia has no reason to even think for a second that she has a brother somewhere (Bail didn't inform her.) She knows that she feels something about him. Had she known, then it might be creepy!

12. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    that is about 15 hrs strait of a gffa.

13 hrs, actually.

I think the inside of the wampa is more disgusting personally.

Don't you mean the inside of the Taun-Taun? Anyway, you got a point there...

I know that "the kiss" is an intruiging subject, but that's not really what this thread is about. I'm more interested in what you guys think about the "timewarp"...

13. ObiwanJohn

Dec 12, 2003
    What timewarp? The saga started in the middle. Everyone who's seen the movies knows this. Most of us have known for a long time there were 3 untold stories prior to ANH. Now we have them. I fail to see how watching these in chronological order would cause any confusion.
    I agree with those who say, for enjoyment's sake, it'll be better to watch Ep IV-VI than EP I-III.

14. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    Everyone who's seen the movies knows this.

And what about those who haven't seen them?

15. ObiwanJohn

Dec 12, 2003
    Well I guess they'll find out won't they. That's the downside to not being around when Star Wars first came out. Oh well.

16. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    Yes I guess they will, and I'm wondering how they would experience this...

confusing, or intriguing?

17. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    i dont see how leias character in ANH is confusing at all.

18. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    I know this is hard to grasp, but try to look at this as if you've never seen the movies before:

The Leia character itself is not confusing, but she is the key to understanding the situation in ANH in context of the Saga:

The situation in ANH will already be a big departure from the preceding episodes, and the focus will be on different characters. If the virgin viewer also doesn't have an indication of timeframe (the Leia factor), this will be confusing/intriguing, until the viewer suddenly meets an old Owen and Beru (the twist factor), and only then realizes that approx. 20 years have passed since episode III.

This scenario applies if Leia's identity is kept secret in the PT...

19. ObiwanJohn

Dec 12, 2003
    "If the virgin viewer also doesn't have an indication of timeframe (the Leia factor), this will be confusing/intriguing,"

No it won't. In Ep III we'll see baby Luke Skywalker. Then in ANH we see a grown up Luke Skywalker. Due to that the Leia factor won't apply. It's not that hard to figure out. Also, Obi Wan will be young in Ep III, than he's old in Ep IV. Plenty of visual clues to show the 20 yr time span.

20. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    Read carefully; I said that the "confusion" only lasts until you get to the Larses. That's about 15 minutes into the movie...

Does it matter? I think it does.

The beginning of AOTC gave me no reason to think that much time had passed since TPM, and finding out was a weird moment... that was about 5 minutes into the movie, a difference of 10 years, and one unrecognizable actor.

Compare that to ANH: 15 minutes into the movie, a difference of 20 years, and no recognizable actors. I think you can multiply the "twist factor" by 10...

This is all hypothetical, as I don't think Leia's identity will be kept secret, but I think it's an interesting speculation anyway.

21. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    If you know who she is, the kiss in ESB will be icky, and the revelation in ROTJ will be lost

Maybe if GL does SE's for the PT, he can have Anakin give Shmi a big kiss.

22. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    AAARRRGGGHHH! Will you stop about the kiss! :mad:

;)

Does ANYBODY understand the "Timewarp Theory"?

It would make me feel SO much better.

23. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    when i saw Timewarp, i immediately thought the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

24. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    Yes, Horror and Sex (together or seperate) seem to attract young males (the target audience), hence the title. [face_plain]

25. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    In the more likely scenario that the virgin viewer already knows who Leia is, it will still be a surprise to see her as a grown up woman in ANH, and thus realize the passing of time. But at the arrival at the Homested, an older Owen and Beru and a grown up Luke will be expected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.