main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN TIMMYCON!

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Dork-Vader, Feb 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nyborg13

Nyborg13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 28, 2004
    Lynn can you get me some better idea on where TimmyCon is to be held. Ive tried putting in the address off the flyer but it doesnt seem to match with where I thought you guys said it was. With your promission I was going to print a few bussiness cards and take to a few places in Little Rock tommorow but I wanted to put some kind of little map on the back to let people know that Bartlett is just a few minutes out of Memphis. Any help from anyone would be great just a sketch map may work. See ya Saturday.

2. Timewalker

Timewalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    Henry,

It's at the corner of Stage Road and Kirby-Whitten Road, in the Stage Center. Go to Mapquest and plug in 6600 Stage Rd. Bartlett TN. (I tried including a link, but I htink it was too long and made the board dizzy or something.

There is an Ikelberry's (sp?) grocery store in the Stage Center, along with a Halloween store.
    Across the street (diagonally) is the Hollywood 20 Theater (another one of my favorites, especially their two main screens - they're HUGE!) and a Walgreen's.

-Joe

3. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Yep- that's the place. We're right there in the corner next to the American Dollar and Ikelbarry's. Email or PM me with your email addy and I can get you a copy of a map/flyer, or just snag some stuff Saturday at the drive-in.

Oh, for anyone who will be in the Nashville area this weekend...a preview of what TIMMYCON! could become. I know- careful what you wish for, but they've got 'THONG-GIRL' there!

MUSIC CITY CON
    Nashville's Comic, Anime & Horror Fest
    October 9-10, 2004

Sat 10-5, Sun 10-4
    Tennessee State Fairgrounds
    Exhibitor's Hall, Nashville, TN

3 BIG SHOWS IN ONE!

HORROR!! COMICS!! ANIME!!

ONLY $5 ADMISSION!!!

The second year of the October Horror Fest promises to be bigger and better than ever. We had over 1200 people attend last year, and look forward to an even bigger crowd this year, along with bigger name guests and events such as panels, free prizes, and a movie room.

http://www.musiccityconventions.com/hfest04.html

4. Timewalker

Aug 27, 2004
    Like I told Lin and Tim, we went to the Horror-Con in Nash last year, and had a fun time. And while this year had some more movie/TV guests, there just weren't enough comic guests that I hadn't already met last year that would make it worth the trip this time.

-Joe

5. otisdodge

otisdodge Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2004
    From Little Rock:

I-40 E
    After you cross the Mississippi River continue on I-40 E Toward Nashville. It will take you around the north side of the 240 loop.
    Take the I-40 E exit (on the left) when 240 splits agian.
    Exit at Whitten Road. Go North (left) on Whitten (I can't remember if this is a two way exit or not).
    You will Cross Summer first, and then the next big light is Stage.

Lin, correct me if this is wrong.

6. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    That's pretty much it. I think Whitten is Exit 14- it's the second exit after the 40/240 loop from hell, just after Sycamore View. (If you see Bellevue/'Six Flags Over Jesus' you've gone too far- so just take Appling to Stage- left!) If you do find Whitten, go left/north (which becomes Kirby-Whitten) you'll pass Bumpus Harley-Davidson, a funeral home/cemetary(how appropriate is that?!), and a few lights. Stage is just over a mile or so from the interstate. The haunt is in the corner of the Stage Centre Shopping Center- next to Ikelbarry's. There's a Spirit's Halloween Shop in our old 2003 location.

Hey- was that simple or what?! Actually, once you turn off I-40 it's a straight shot down Whitten on the left.

7. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Glad you gave them direction, guys. I get people lost as a merf when I do. That's why there's a detailed map on the website.

Getting pumped about TC!1. We should have our flyers either today or tomorrow. Any volunteers for distributing them?

Todd: You're Mr. Nightmarez... I'm sure you'll come up with something to do at TC!1!

We have 8 table spaces available still. Where are my collecting heavy-hitters? I've got Sal and Henry down already. Where's Dale?

8. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    If there are any ready now, I could take some to LR with me today.

9. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I'm hoping UPS will show up with them today. I bet we won't have them until tomorrow, though. I ordered them Wednesday afternoon.

10. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Well, tomorrow would still be cool. I was going to try and make the trip up to Nashville for that con and take some Nightmarez, Bu****ales, and TIMMYCON! flyers, but I just don't think I could make the drive. I'd fall asleep halfway there! I'll be sure to blanket the city with some here.

11. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    The TIMMYCON! flyers are IN! (And boy are they cool!)

Who's up for helping us blanket the city with them?

I hit Comic Cellar on Yale already. I wish we'd have gotten them yesterday, since Wednesday is the big day for comics. Also, we need to tell the comics folks that there is room for tables for them if they want to participate!

And we only have 10 days until TIMMYCON!

I need to know who is definitely participating, who needs table space, and so forth.

12. Mkingsley

Mkingsley Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2003
    Right now I'm doing my part to blanket the city with posters for the Indie Memphis Film Festival, October 22-28, downtown Memphis at Muvico. So if you bring some by the Malco theater in Midtown, Studio on the Square, I'll do my part to hit the downtown/Midtown sectors.

Hope that Indie Memphis website gets updated soon ...

13. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    That's cool, Michael. I had no idea we even had an Indie Festival. I like that the focus of the fest is on Southern-made, or Southern-set movies.

If any of us are around Studio on the Square we'll give you a shout.

I just dropped off flyers at All-American in Millington. I talked to Tim there, and he said that they were going to do a table, which is excellent.

14. Timewalker

Aug 27, 2004
    We got to see Bubba Ho-Tep at Indie Memphis last year. It was great!

That's good news about Tim at All-American participating.

I also e-mailed the info to a guy who ran a couple of small shows at teh Holiday Inn on Mt. Moriah last year.
    He's from Kentucky, I think, so he might be interested.

-Joe

15. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks, Joe!

We'll take anything we can get. I was just about to hit up Platinum Plus to see if they wanted a table. (Of course, knowing them, it would have to be a sturdy table. With a pole.)

I'm going to hit Tennessee Card Company in Bartlett tonight, and, if time permits, Triple Play. I also may try to post something at the Bartlett Public Library.

16. Timewalker

Aug 27, 2004
    No problem.

I know there is a comic book store in Dyersburg. You might hit Steve up to drop some flyers off there.

There's also two stores in Jackson. I thought we had some posters from that area... I don't think we're going to be over there until the day of the Con (Gina's next sewing class - so we might not make the Con itself).

Someone might want to post a flyer on the bulletin board at Borders.

-Joe

17. kellilla

kellilla Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    Man I wanted to come but I'm going to be in Minneapolis that day :\
    Ah well, we're definitely coming by Nightmarez on the 30th :)

18. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks for reminding me of that, Kell- Kidz Dayz at Nightmarez is on the 30th. We need costumed participants for that one.

Joe: We probably won't worry about the outlying areas too much because of time restraints in distribution. (i.e.- I'll be lucky to get all of these distributed around Memphis!)

Jacob: Thanks for helping out with the distribution. I appreciate your help.

19. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    Joe--re: Borders--Did that. Also at Spin whatever records--did you know they are selling MR sabers there for 150?--and at the former Bookstar that is now a B&N.
    TIM-NP. Glad to help--dropped off a huge stack at Comics and Collectibles, in addition to the above, and my Mom may be dropping some off to the game store and comic store in West Little Rock.
    I am in Houston--enjoying having internet in the same place I am sleeping--which is why, of course, I am not sleeping :p
    When I get back into town, I will check Comics and Collectibles and Triple Play to see if they still have plenty.

20. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks, Jacob. We already got a bite from those you put out at Spin City. I also went to B&N on Poplar to put out some flyers and a poster. I put a big poster in the outside bulletin board, and noticed you had already put a flyer there, too.

I hit River Records and The Main Library after that. You can't just post stuff at the main library. You have to submit it and they do it, so I left a poster and a large handfull of flyers there.

21. Nyborg13

Nyborg13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 28, 2004
    Hey Tim got one guy for sure said he was driving to Memphis from Little Rock next weekend, so maybe... .
    Oh got some two part tickets today if you would like to use some for your doorprizes. Have a few items for you, how often do you want to give somthing away. I have a few things I thought about having a small raffle like $.50 or $1.00 and use the money to try and start the Arkansas Fan Force. Also got 1000 shopping bags and HOPE THAT NONE COME HOME WITH ME. (as the plastic pusher rubs his greedy hands together smirking under his breath) [face_money_eyes]

22. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Henry: As far as door prizes, what we give away and when all depends on how much we got. With only five hours, it won't take much. If we have enough stuff, I'd love to be able to give away something every hour. Other than that, I haven't a clue as to what to do. In the grand tradition of local cons, I'm winging it severely.

Ideas and suggestions would be appreciated, y'all. Also, please confirm your space for your table. So far, Rhonda, Henry, and Sal have been the only ones. I also know that the MSCA will have a table, and that Tim and Tim of All-American Comics will have a table. I'll go by Triple-Play again and hit them up hopefully today.

23. Timewalker

Aug 27, 2004
    I heard from the guy from Kentucky who does the small shows - he won't be able to make it, but he wishes us luck. He's planning another small show in Memphis next spring (March maybe).

-Joe

24. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    It's a shame we couldn't have spoken with him earlier. I'm sure he could've given us some advice.

Ah, well.... Back to winging it.

25. Timewalker

Aug 27, 2004
    Maybe, but it was mainly a bunch of tables in a hotel conference room. I think winging it will do just fine.

You might want to post something about it on the Captain Comics Message Board
    http://www.captaincomics.us/forums/index.php?

EDIT: Never mind. The Captain himself already ran Tim's press release on his board here
    http://www.captaincomics.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=10257

(So now everyone needs to head over there and register to post and say how interesting it sounds!)

Andrew Smith's column runs in the Commercial Appeal, and he's a local guy, for those of you who aren't familiar with him.

-Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.