main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN TIMMYCON!

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Dork-Vader, Feb 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    I wish he would have ran Lin's initial release instead. It was more informative. I just sent a shout out to everyone in reply to what he said via email.

Ah, well... Maybe he'll mention us in this week's column. And there's a link to the site, so I guess I'm not going to complain too much.

2. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    I'll have to thank the Cap'n for that the next time I see him. I posted a bit on there last week, and another on the MSC board, and a couple others I sometimes hit (sorry- I do see other boards!)

Anyway, I'm back in town and ready to get this murph on!

3. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Hey, we never said this board relationship was exclusive, Lin. :p

Still have a bunch of TC!1 flyers handy. Anyone have any ideas where I can take them?

4. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    As long as we all know we have an open relationship. Remind me to tell you about the art show I was at- too funny.

I can't think of anyplace else- but I know there are a lot of grocery stores and such that have boards by the front door for posting things on. The Highland strip has a board I'll hit again. I noticed on my way in last night that someone had stolen the Nightmrez poster! Got to go put up another one...

BTW- don't know what the law in TN is about raffles and paying for tickets? Does anyone? I was just going to give them to anyone who came in the door.

5. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I have no idea whatsoever. I could try and look it up. I was about to go to lunch, but I don't feel like swimming home to eat during lunch-hour traffic.

6. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    We had some nasty looking weather over here at work. It was pretty funny- one of the guys in the back was moving wooden pallets and just as some thunder and lightning hit he dropped a pallet into place with a loud CRAK! and about gave everyone in the department a heart attack! They thought the building had been hit.

7. Nyborg13

Nyborg13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 28, 2004
    Hey guys thanks for the heads up on the law thing. I just see so many groups around here selling chances to win this or that I didnt even think about it maybe a Law. As far as the doorprize thing yep thats what I'd do just give them at the door. But I have a few things that I was thinking instead of trying to sell just raffle them off and use the money to maybe kick start Arkansas. Even though it looks useless.

8. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Don't give up, Henry. Memphis just sort of happened one day, but struggled to have more than five active members for well over a year.

As for raffles, they are illegal in Tennessee if they are not part of an annual event for the benefit of charitable 501(c)(3) organizations. In other words, your organization has to be recognized by a two-thirds vote of the Tennessee General Assembly before you can hold a raffle for your own benefit. Now, if that raffle was for St. Jude, or another 501(c)(3) organization, then it's all OK. You can even hold back expenses from the proceeds to cover the items you raffled.

As it stands, legally, you can sell tickets, but you have to give anyone who wishes to participate in the drawing a ticket regardless of whether or not they pay. If you have to pay for the chance to win, then it's illegal under the 1989 code. Now, I don't know how things have changed since they approved the lottery here as far as raffles are concerned, so I'll have to check for updated code and get back with you.

UPDATE: I was right. They changed the law to include state lotteries, but changed nothing as far as raffles are concerned. We could apply for a mere $625. I don't see it being worth it.

9. Nyborg13

Jun 28, 2004
    Thats alright Tim. My wife was saying that around here they use the word donation in there selling line to make it legal but we have decided to try and sell the stuff instead. Thanxs though

10. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    There's always the "Don't ask...don't tell" policy, Henry, and I ain't referring to the traditional meaning.

11. otisdodge

otisdodge Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2004
    Tim and Lin--I must have missed the "confirm your space" post. Sorry. I still want to set up a table if that is alright. Looking forward to it.

12. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    OK, so now the list is Rhonda, Henry, Sal, and Jacob, All-American Comics, and the MSCA. Any others? We only have room for about, oh... 8 more tables!

13. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Don't forget ME! I'd like to hold a spot for Cardz-4-Kidz. Ang hasn't gotten back to me yet, but hope to hear something by tomorrow. If not and anyone shows up last minute or we need to expand someones space we can.

Been seeing TIMMYCON! flyers all over the Poplar/Highland area!

14. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I think we hit the UofM area hardest... just like Hurricane Elvis.

I got you on the list now, Lin. Sorry. My bad.

15. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    No prob- it finally just hit Patrick that TC!1 is happening AT Nightmarez!

16. kellrob

kellrob Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2004
    I know this is totally not the right spot for this post, but I know it will get answered. Lin, what is Kidz day at Nighmarz??? What time does it start??? Do you want only people dressed in Star Wars garb???
    Admission???
    I just found another person with these questions, also. I will post this at Non-SMT events, too.

17. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Well, we're only two days away from TimmyCon! Here's a little final info for everyone:

Setup will begin at 9:00 am and needs to be completed by noon. Breakdown will begin at 5 pm and needs to be completed by 6pm.

We still have plenty of cokes and soft drinks for SMT members at TimmyCon. I'll bring a cooler.

If you have anything you'd like to display, but not sell, then we'd love for you to bring it. Anything along the general theme of TC! is welcome. Or, if you have any original artwork to display, then it is welcome as well.

Costumes are always welcome, both worn and displayed!

We still need some door prizes. If anyone has anything to offer, then please holler. Any toy or comic will do. I'd like to do one prize an hour if possible, but we can always do more than that if we have enough to give away.

If anyone has any activities they'd like to include, such as demonstrations, then let me know. I'm sure we can accommodate it.

Don't forget your tables and chairs. The floor is very uncomfortable.

If there's anything I forgot here, then please let me know.

-Tim

18. Nyborg13

Jun 28, 2004
    Hey Tim Ive got an Anakin Interactive lightsaber that can go for door prize its in the box all new like.
    Henry

19. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    You da man, Henry. Thanks!

20. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    One more day until TimmyCon!

21. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Yep, Tim- counting down the hours- and lost sleep! Got a couple items for door prizes.

Had a couple guys in the MSCA tell me they can't make it to set up, but one said he'd slide by. I've got to remember to bring his BloodStream comic to get signed!

As far as Kidz Day-
    1-4 pm
    Admission is $3 (under 3yrs old free)
    Costumes are always welcome. We'll have a MemFanForce table there, so if anyone wants to dress up in Star Wars garb and represent the SMT please do.

There will be trick-or-treating with costumed characters, a moon-bounce, childrens activities, and more. Did that answer your questions? YVs is in charge of it this year, so I'll just be there as BeetleJuice or Linny The Pooh.

Oh, and YODA man!

22. TamboFett

TamboFett Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 8, 2003
    Good luck with TimmyCon guys...maybe the 501st Southern Outpost will come out on your next one.

23. Obi_J_Kenobi

Obi_J_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    Good luck guys...Though I still don't get the reason behind TimmyCon, or what this fanforce is hoping to accomplish, I hope everything pull out well. I won't make it cause I'm rehabing here on Dagobah. (Union City) Surgury went well by the way....if anyone was wondering......

24. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    The reason behind TIMMYCON!..? Uh, nobody told me there had to be a reason! Like we ever need a reason to get together, talk toons and Star Wars, or play dress up! I'm looking forward to see how a con/show with litle to no advertising and prep turns out- oh, wait...I think we've all seen that. ;)

Thanks, Glenn- hope you guys can make it out to the next one. (Heck, I hope there IS a next one!)

Jay, speedy recovery, dude! Remember, "Do or do not- there is no try. Size matters not. Slimy mudhole? My home this is!"- or something like that!

Hey folks, remember, if you are selling anything and will need change- go by the bank today or on your way in. I won't have access to any tomorrow.

Oooh- 24 hrs and counting...

25. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Good point about the change, Lin. Most banks are open limited hours on Saturday, including the First Tennessee branch that is in the Schnuck's store across from Stage Center. Change is up to each individual seller.

An organized Con... In Memphis? Hehehehehe....

We're following tradition.

As long as we're together it'll be fun

Here's to a speedy recovery, Jay! Get well soon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.