main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Timothy Zahn book signing tour

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by Malo-ha, Nov 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malo-ha

Malo-ha Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2003
    DelRey is doing a book tour in February for Survivor's Quest and they are looking for 4 more cities to send him to.

Details here

I am definitely sending him to San Diego, Seattle and Portland. The other four cities are up for grabs. If you are interested in having Timothy come to a store near you, I need to hear from the bookstore. We go by bookstore requests, so have your local bookstore email me a proposal for an event.

Krash is calling local bookstores today so we'll see what happens. What other cities could we work with to let DelRey know we can deliver the numbers? Unfortunately a room at a library doesn't seem to be what they want.

Just moving the discussion to this thread

2. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    I hope Geoff is going to call the book store that Troy Denning went to: Joseph-Beth.

As for other cities, I know that my friend in Williamsburg wanted him to go there.

3. skyedancer

skyedancer Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2002
    Unfortunately a room at a library doesn't seem to be what they want.
    OK, I'm confused. Geoff PM'd me about the possibility of my library hosting something. :confused:

4. Malo-ha

May 8, 2003
    I was taking DelRey's statement at face value skyedancer. That they wanted a bookstore to sell more books. If they would be open to using a library that would be great. They might even be able to get two signings for 1 city.

OK, I'm confused. Geoff PM'd me about the possibility of my library hosting something

Should I be miffed he didn't PM me or just assume he thought I was already doing it. [face_laugh]

That said we have numerous dates in February available at this time. Is Krash going to be the coordinator for this?

5. skyedancer

Sep 26, 2002
    Should I be miffed he didn't PM me
    [face_blush] I'm not sure why Geoff didn't. He just asked me to see if someone at my library might be interested in hosting Zahn and I was in the process of informing some of the people who were involved in bringing Harlan Ellison here last spring about it.
    Is Krash going to be the coordinator for this? Don't know. :confused: Guess it's time for Geoff to post here. And I'm sorry about your levy, Mary.

6. Malo-ha

May 8, 2003
    I asked if they were interested in hosting it and they said yes. I'm not the only SW geek here. They just wanted to know if I had any details yet. i.e. dates, times, fee if any. We had a great success with Earl Hamner when he did a book discussion for Spencer's Mountain.

Is Krash going to be the coordinator for this? Don't know. Guess it's time for Geoff to post here.
    If he doesn't post soon we could have this half planned before he knows it.

And I'm sorry about your levy, Mary.
    Me too. :_| A lot of library levies failed to pass. It was by less than 600 votes.

7. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    What other cities could we work with to let DelRey know we can deliver the numbers?
    Depending on what day the event would be held...we could get Columbus (we went there), Pittsburgh, Detroit, Toledo, and possibly fans from other groups like OSWCC and 501st/Rebel Legion. I sent the PM to you skye, because I was curious about whether something like this would be of interest/benefit to your library (or possibly other branches around here)?

Should I be miffed he didn't PM me
    I did PM you...and I was waiting for you to post something about this. I made the mistake of doing that "sleep" thing I do on occasion :D If you know of people who would be willing to host an event like this...don't ask my permission to speak up.

They just wanted to know if I had any details yet. i.e. dates, times, fee if any
    According to the person from Del-Rey...
    "getting ready to book the tour for Timothy Zahn's February hardcover SURVIVOR'S QUEST" So I would have to think there is still time to make a bid for Zahn to come to Cleveland.

So there is plenty of time to set something up. Our goal is to find someplace willing to host the event...and have THEM contact Del-Rey...and then WE can help promote the event and make a good showing when/if it happens. Hopefully, this event will not require Cindy whacking me in the eye with a lightsaber! ;)

Is Krash going to be the coordinator for this?
    While I am more then willing to help in this, Don is suposed to be the "coordinator" for FF activities...part of his role as CR.

8. skyedancer

Sep 26, 2002
    Geoff, I "stayed on target" with this and referred it to a person (Leslie) who was involved with bringing Harlan Ellison (another science fiction author) last spring to my library. Leslie is e-mailing Colleen. Leslie was very excited about this as she handles what she calls a "speculative fiction" book group at her branch on a monthly basis and is quite familiar with science fiction although I'm not sure if she is a SW fan or not. I didn't even have to tell her who Timothy Zahn is! Obviously, it will probably depend on $$$ at this point. If any of you are interested in attending Leslie's book group on speculative fiction (meaning science fiction and fantasy) on the west side of Akron, PM me and I will get details of what they are reading in the near future.

9. Malo-ha

May 8, 2003
    I didn't have to tell people who Tim Zahn was either. I got an immediate What needs to be done and what are the details response.

Obviously, it will probably depend on $$$ at this point.

It always depends on money. 8-}

I made the mistake of doing that "sleep" thing I do on occasion

Sleep? sleep? you aren't suppose to sleep. You gave that up when you decided to become the RSA. Read the fine print of the contract you signed in blood. [face_laugh]

Hopefully, this event will not require Cindy whacking me in the eye with a lightsaber!

Cindy will be so disappointed. [face_laugh]

Is Krash going to be the coordinator for this?
    While I am more then willing to help in this, Don is suposed to be the "coordinator" for FF activities...part of his role as CR.

Don must be sleeping too. ;)

OK, I emailed DelRey to ask if they would consider a library but I still think they want a bookstore, more foot traffic and potential cross selling. Krash have you contacted any bookstores that were interested? or has anyone else?

10. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    Zzzzzz......

Huh, wha?? Oh, yeah, uh, carry on. Maybe get Troy Denning to tell Del Rey how much fun he had in Cleveland. That would probably help our cause.

Zzz.....

11. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

I just put a thingy up about this in our forum, too, in the hope that we can con The Z-Man into coming to the Burgh.

Then it dawned on me... might we get better results if we pulled our resources?

FanForce folks from ONE city showing up at a bookstore in ONE city will sell books. FanForce folks from TWO cities showing up at a bookstore in ONE city will definitely sell more books. And it's very clear that the publicist will send Zahn where they can sell the most books.

Money talks, as always.

Anyway, if this is something that might interest you folks, have whoever it is you deem worthy to get in touch with me so that maybe we can work something out. [In regards to venue, clearly it'd be easier for the P'burgh FF folks if Zahn came to Da Burgh, but I'm sure we wouldn't mind taking a ride to Cleveland, if need be. (And, I would have to imagine that would go vice versa for you folks. Though, if I recall, it is your turn to come out here... 8-} )]

Something to chew on... I used to work at a Waldenbooks. My old manager still loves me. Advantageous? Oh yes.

At any rate, it'd be very cool if we could con Zahn (that rhymes) into our part of the world, be it at P'burgh or Cleveland. This could also be a very keen opportunity for our respective FanForces to get together and collaborate on something very cool.

Ponder on it, and let me know what's up.

Reading is Fundamental,
    Yours Truly

12. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Maybe get Troy Denning to tell Del Rey how much fun he had in Cleveland
    Couldn't hurt? He might be able to put in a word for us with the person from Del-Rey?

This could also be a very keen opportunity for our respective FanForces to get together and collaborate on something very cool
    Pondered...sounds like a GREAT idea! For now, let's keep working on it from BOTH cities. And if Pittsburgh/Cleveland gets it (hopefully a weekend)...we'll be able to draw people from a larger area.

I'm stopping in at Borders (Southpark) and calling Joseph Beth Booksellers (since they got Troy last time)

EDIT: Everyone make fun of Malo-Ha...for spelling Zahn's first name "Tomothy" :D

13. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    I see the "Tomothy" part got fixed. Now, how about the "Zhan" part?

14. Darthvaderocks06

Darthvaderocks06 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    COOL! :D This would be really nice to go to since I missed Troy Dening and I really love Zahn's books. Ok, well I have 1 of them, and I've never read it all, but I'm not a big reader anyways. :p

-DVR

15. Malo-ha

May 8, 2003
    EDIT: Everyone make fun of Malo-Ha...for spelling Zahn's first name "Tomothy"

Hmmm, I think I understand why Cindy smacked you in eye with her lightsaber. 8-}

I see the "Tomothy" part got fixed. Now, how about the "Zhan" part?

You're the one with the power to edit. *hint* *hint*

Then it dawned on me... might we get better results if we pulled our resources?

Quite right, we stand a better chance of getting Timothy Zahn if we can guarantee a big crowd. Once we get one or more locations we can see how many cities we can get together to add to the pitch to DelRey.

16. skyedancer

Sep 26, 2002
    OK, I emailed DelRey to ask if they would consider a library but I still think they want a bookstore, more foot traffic and potential cross selling.
    Mary, I agree they will probably prefer a bookstore to a library but it can't hurt that both of us are pursuing the library angle while Geoff pursues the bookstore angle.
    Zahn: "One way or another, we're gonna get you, get you, get you...."
    Sorry, couldn't resist it but most definitely dating myself. ;)

17. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    both of us are pursuing the library angle while Geoff pursues the bookstore angle
    I've contacted the people from Borders and Joseph Beth Booksellers (mentioned the good experience with Troy Denning)..."voice-mail tag" I'm it!

18. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    I got a call back from Borders' event coordinator (while I was running around the track at Bally's...didn't even realize I had my phone on me) He was grateful that we contacted them about getting Timothy Zahn to come to the Cleveland area sometime in February. Someone in Ann Arbor makes the arrangments with the publisher about scheduling an appearance.

He promised to keep me informed on any progress in getting Zahn to one of the Cleveland area Borders locations.

19. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Finally got to speak with Susan (Joseph Beth Booksellers)...she's worked with the folks from Del-Rey before, and I think this could be our best chance of hosting a Timothy Zahn event.

skye, depending on how this works out...keep Leslie informed on the situation. Even if they decide to come to a place like Joseph Beth, I've got some ideas on how we can use this event to help both libraries! Plus, getting her book group to come to the event will make for a good showing.

20. skyedancer

Sep 26, 2002
    Roger, Geoff, I'm on the leader. Now, none of you guys taken that in any way other than what it is intended! Why do I feel like I've got to edit everything I post here in case Eric, Brian, Don, or someone else misconstrues it? 8-}

21. Malo-ha

May 8, 2003
    Good job Geoff. Keep us posted if you need anything.

Why do I feel like I've got to edit everything I post here in case Eric, Brian, Don, or someone else misconstrues it?

Over active imaginations. [face_laugh]

22. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    damn, i'm second on her list... better work harder...

-b-

23. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    MUWAHAHA.... Guess who's top dog on that list? [face_devil]

24. JediCandii

JediCandii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    I doubt that many of you are going to want to make the trip, but it's been confirmed that Timothy Zahn's going to be in Dayton on February 5th. Go check the Cincy boards if you want more info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.