main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Timothy Zahn interview covers Legends and Rebels

Discussion in 'Literature' started by fett 4, Jun 9, 2016.

1. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Darth Dnej and SensationalSean like this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, it's an interesting interview. I was also at the panel where some of the Thrawn and Legends discussion continues -- I wrote a summary in the social thread. I can elaborate on anything if people have questions, to the extent that it's something Zahn actually spoke about.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I have 2 questions :
    1) Will his other 2 Thrawn trilogy books get the anniversary republishing like Heir did as I'd buy them
    2) (Speaking as someone who hated his writing of Vader) did he elaborate at all on the future book he had planned where Mara is Vader bodyguard at all ?

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    1. He wasn't asked about that, but I think I remember hearing that HttE didn't sell well enough to warrant other anniversary editions like they were hoping. Can't guarenteee that's true.

2. He was not asked about further Mara Jade plans he might've had. He was asked about Thrawn clone plans though.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

fett 4 likes this.
  5. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Interesting, what did he say about the Clone ?

6. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I honestly think there is a better chance it is going to be Revan than it is Thrawn. Ezra has that Sith holocron and they already almost put Revan in TCW.

7. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Yet Filoni posted an extreme closeup of the binding of HTTE on Facebook as a hint...

Revan may be mentioned, but they could've worked that into Twilight of the Apprentice had they really been angling for that (particularly with Malachor and a Kreia-ish voice from the holocron itself). He'll be canonized at some point, it's just a matter of time. Between rumors & Filoni hints, tho, not to mention potential tie-ins with the now-confirmed Grand Admiral of the Aftermath trilogy, Thrawn seems most likely.

8. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Isn't the Grand Admiral in Aftermath: Life Debt...
    Rae Sloane?

9. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Yes and no.
    While blurbs about the book seem to indicate she'll receive the rank of Grand Admiral herself, the intro to the excerpt published in Bloodline specifically mentions that the mysterious admiral she's serving is, himself, a Grand Admiral.

10. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    wow, we have a grand admiral and a grand general. Everything is grand. Go Thrawn go, I hope that he appears in rebels

11. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Don't forget the one who started it all... the Grandfather of Grands, Grand Moff Tarkin! :p

12. GoingInside

GoingInside Jedi Master star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    Wait... Grand MOFF?! I've been calling him "Grandma Tarkin" all these years.

13. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014

I too am curious about what he had to say about Thrawn clones!

I messaged Zahn on Facebook to ask if he'll be attending Celebration Europe yesterday, he replied in the negative. Not overly surprising, since his presence would create rampant speculation about a new SW project! I kinda hope he lied to me ...

14. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    This part made me sad:

What is the logic in wanting new writers? Are they just worried Legends writers are going to try too hard to incorporate all of their old Legends stories into whatever new canon stories they might write? I don't know about you guys, but if I heard a new Star Wars novel by Zahn was coming out, I'd pre-order it without even caring what the story was about.

spicer likes this.
  15. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    There are probably hundreds of writers who'd love to write a SW novel. They might just want fresh blood, and this is an easy time to do it.
    Though Kemp, Golden, JJM, Foster and Luceno have all written pre and post NuCanon (and Hearne was signed preNuCanon) so that seems like a non-existent complaint, since over half the books published were from authors already in Del Rey's stable.

And the first year of the NJO had Stackpole and Tyers, so it's not like Del Rey immediately turned their backs on the Bantam writers.

Toonimator likes this.
  16. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I wonder if Kemp, Luceno, JJM and Golden were asked to write for the new canon because Del Rey genuinely wanted them to write, or because they had previous contracts (we know that for sure about Golden and Kemp at least), and there was no way around but to give them a SW job?

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Summer Grand Moffs... rolling downhill...