main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips for TSA (Flying with costumes & props)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Miana Kenobi, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Hi all!

So for those of you who might be going to Celebration for the first time (or any kind of convention for the first time), here's a few tips on dealing with costumes, props, and luggage:

Checked bags:

Before you pack all of your costume and prop pieces, lay them out and take a photo of them. What I usually do is then print up a nice little info sheet and letter to the TSA. It usually is something along the lines of "Hi TSA! I'm on my way to this convention in this city and so there's lots of interesting prop pieces in here." If you are checking a blaster or a lightsaber hilt, mention in big bold letters that it is a prop replica (you can even describe what it is and what it's made of) and not functional. ALSO list if things are fragile! For the most part, I've had really good luck with this method and even though I can tell if TSA has been through my things, they're usually not terribly disturbed or broken.

One thing that I've found helpful is to use your own clothing as padding for props. You don't want stuff jiggling around in there. Once you pack everything in, lay those TSA letters on top so it's the first thing TSA will see.

Carry On Bags:

My rule of thumb has always been that if I can carry it on, I will. Helmets are ALWAYS a carry-on item for me. Full lightsabers can't really be checked (and I don't think you WANT to check a poster tube), so typically I just tell TSA when it's about to go through the scanner what it is. The only exception to this rule is blasters; those always need to be checked. It doesn't matter that it's not a real gun, just to make life easier on yourself, treat it as such and leave it in your checked bag.

If you don't want to deal with the TSA potentially breaking or losing your costumes or props, You can always ship props/costumes to your hotel ahead of time. Granted, doing so is costly and instead of the TSA you're putting your stuff in the hands of your postal service, but that is also an option.

2. LadyJediscientist

LadyJediscientist Jedi Knight

Jun 22, 2007
    Same advice for souvenirs on the return trip?

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'd think it would apply if you buy something like a replica lightsaber or blaster at the con. For non-threatening things like action figures, books, etc, regular packing is probably OK. If you are going from outside the US though save any receipts as the items might be subject to duty on your return home if you exceed your duty-free import limit. .

4. Jedi_N-Re-K

Jedi_N-Re-K Jedi Youngling

Feb 9, 2015
    I have a full Force FX lightsaber, What's the best way to travel through TSA with that? What bag should I use?

This is my first Star Wars Celebration! So I want to go in costume and I don't want my saber to be confiscated.
    Pls and Thank you!

5. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    In the past, I have bundled fragile items in my clothing (ie, wrap a shirt or two around an item without a protective case) to prevent it from getting too damaged in transit. For very fragile items, some sellers may have paper wrapping for you, but that totally depends upon the seller. I did a search just now and it appears that there is a Fed Ex office in the Marriott just outside of the convention center, so you should be able to purchase supplies to safely pack your items for the trip home.

And what Miana mentioned about a photo sheet to accompany your luggage at the start of this thread is a good idea. TSA's job is to be paranoid. If they cannot easily identify what it is you have packed, then they WILL search your baggage and you had better have a good explanation as to what is in there. Also, avoid gift wrapping items. TSA does not like gift wrapped items at all, so make sure any wrapping for protection can be easily removed and re-applied if needed. And be sure that the rest of your luggage falls within their guidelines (fluids, items which can/cannot go in carry-on luggage, etc) and have a current government issued ID on hand and have it ready to show to TSA.