main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips on finding Online Saga games.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Akisa, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Akisa

Akisa Jedi Youngling

Oct 21, 2008
    I have been having trouble finding online Saga games to play and I thought I look here. But unfortunately all I see is pbp games so far. So I was wondering does anyone play online if so where do people look for recruitment?

PbP is Play by Post where you create a thread and have players play in. As for playing online it's when use programs like Irc, Openrpg, maptools etc to play online not a MMORPG. As for Saga it's the latest rules set developed by Wizards of the Coast which unitizes a d20 rule set. Although you can play Saga in PbP (like you can with D&D3.5 or 4$ editions), I don't play PbP games because it's dismal slow for my taste.

2. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I know you can do ones through AIM, but I have no idea how to find them.

IMHO, online ruins the social aspect of gaming.

3. Akisa

Akisa Jedi Youngling

Oct 21, 2008
    Why is that? I'm always on the road so I'm never home and thus I have to play online or pbp. I choose Online because I don't have to wait 8 months to get through 1 session <.<.

4. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    I've seen plenty of chatter in PbP and message games, though it may not reach the same volume (in multiple senses of the word) as playing with people at the same table.

As far as playing a Saga Edition game on these boards, the problem is that we have a semi-broken base here. We've got The Roleplaying Forum and then we've got this board. This forum has had at least three PbP games in the past, two Saga Edition games and a d6 game. All of them are locked now. As far as I can tell, the only Saga Edition game currently active over at the Roleplaying Forum is my own, which is pretty much a stealth game since none of my players understand the mechanics very well, they just tell me what they're doing and let me roll for it (Shameless Promotion Alert: If you are interested in a 12th level Saga game, can write intelligibly in more than just a minimum of lines, and aren't a total idiot, I may have an opening).

As far as I can tell, the main problems are the fact that the RPF has very few people who know tabletop (though as our experiment with Dungeons & Dragons proves, they can be taught), while this board suffers from being a low-traffic area that's rather out-of-the-way (and may have a small player base to begin with). If only there was some way to combine the two boards respective areas of expertise...

Seriously, my Jedi Academy Training Manual isn't just going to use itself, you know.

5. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I see your point then, but as some who has done it both ways face-to-face definitely outweighs online in my opinion. \

I'd like to take up that offer, as I'm a GM who has never played, but where's the random element in it? How do you account for randomness and failure? And how to you know the gM is not cheating you if he is rolling for you?

I know a certain extent to that exists behind the screen at a table, but the GM is not the only one with dice.

6. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    Easy, this is the internet. There are online dice rollers that keep records that you can link to. For the D&D game over at the RPF, players either let the DM roll or roll for themselves, whichever they feel like. Plus, not trusting the GM over dice rolls is silly, since there are an infinite number of ways which the GM can mess with you. Plus, there aren't really much in the way of Save or Lose effects in Saga Edition, so one roll will rarely decide things.

7. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    There is an attempt to introduce "the system" to RPing here. Lightwarden isn´t the only one "secretly using" the Saga system. I do the same for the 133 ABY series. Until a few month ago unaware lightwarden did the same. Anyway, maybe not what you´re looking for.

In the RPF GDG there is the outline for "Vulture´s Talon", which we consider a testrun for RPing with dice-systems. If it proofs successful and managable I might start something serious rule-based 2010. In this board or the RPF . . . remains to be seen.

For now we postponed Vulture´s Talon. Especially because of the sudden "break in" of player numbers. We didn´t wanted to waste it in a time where games are impossible to establish. But we still plan to do it somewhere in August. September, latest.

8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I KNEW IT!:eek:

9. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Well . . . yeah . . . admit it.

I think time is there for a full blown game, though . . . where he rules are played out in the open. I am owrking on various ideas concerning that. Butwonder how many fans would actually be out there.

10. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I had no idea there were games going on in other forums. Announce it here next time one starts

11. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i would certainly play it fins. i just don't have any sourcebooks, which presents the biggest issue for me. there are ways around that however.

LW if that opening still stands i may take you up on it.

12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'd play in it, Fins, I've never gotten enough mileage out of my sourcebook.[face_peace]

13. RachelTyrell

RachelTyrell Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2009
    Me, too. But actually for those who do not have such great love for the Saga-System . . . why not do it in d6 first? Simple rules (very internet adoptable). You got a good game lying around in d6, do you? You got the rulebooks. And Vulture´s Talon is ready to go, is it? I´d play it.

What do you other guys think? Should we give it a try?

14. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    i might be up for a d6 game.

15. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    People are talking about Fin´s 133 ABY: The Vulture´s Talon? It could be happening after all? After all? Oh great, great. I´d be in it! *raises hand*

Well, would we do it here or n the RPF?

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I wouldn't mind d6, but I'd have to find the sourcebook first.[face_plain]

17. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Good thing about d6 is you can really summarize it on one sheet. I am sure Fin already did. :) Therefore it is really perfect. Very simple story-oriented rules. We used them for years. Only high-level (there are no level but you know what I mean) get difficult because of the many dices.

So, you got three players, so far Fin :D What more do you need?

18. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    sorry i didn't mention this before fins, but i'd probably be interested in giving vulture's talon a whirl. i missed it in the GDG.

have to see what kind of time commitment it needs before saying for sure however.

19. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    I´ll think about it. The interest is there, I see. But my schedule is pretty filled up, right now. And if I do it, I wanna do it right.

I think I´ll do a full blown approach in 2010. Now I´ll concentrate on other projects . . . which are a priority, to be precise. And especailly one that will use a table-top system. Just not one that has every been used in Star Wars . . .

20. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    You know what guys? I changed my mind. The JC needs a d6 game, I need a break from "traditional" playing and the games forum could use a game, too.

133 ABY: The Vulture´s Talon comes up within´ the next few hours. Everybody interested in the experiment of using d6 rules AND roleplaying characters in one game is ecouraged to enter.

I am not having a terrible ammount of time, so it won´t move so incredible fast. But what´s the deal? We´ll take our time then.

Watch out for it and I hope to see some of you, there.

-Fin-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.