main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips on Stamp Imprinting/Embossing on Velvet...

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by GentleBant, Aug 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    I'm almost 100% sure that's not really what it's called, but you all are so helpful and knowledgeable, I know I'll still get help. :~)

I'm planning on embossing a fluer de lis on both the maroon HM hooded cloak, and Dormé's hooded outer-cloak. This one:
    [image=http://www.royalhandmaidensociety.org/images/galleries/episode1_by_scene/palpy_for_chan/palpy_for_chancellor14a.jpg]

and this one:
    [image=http://www.royalhandmaidensociety.org/galleries/episode2/dorme/images/dorme_20.jpg]

For the maroon cloak, I have an inexpensive velvet (*not* panne or stretch, just not very plush), and for Dormé's cloak, all I have so far in a nice panne. Advice? (both on materials and techniques?)

Thanks again to all the helpful, nice, wonderful folks out there. You all make costuming for us novices a whole lot more fun. :~D

2. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Ok- I have done the techniqe of embossing velvet with rubber stamps so I will tell you what I know. First of all you should be working with a Rayon-Acetate blend velvet (Fidelio is one name brand) Those are the fibers that will "crush" best and hold the design. (you are basically crushing your design into the fabric) You take your stamp and spritz it with water-you lay it on your board design up-you lay your velvet down on top of the stamp right side down-you then place your hot iron (w/steam) down on the wrong side and press. Don't move too much and don't burn fabric.If you press too hard the edges of the stamp that you don't want will be part of the design so always TEST TEST TEST
    You can experiment with the velvet you have--but just beware that the result may not be permanant on a fabric of a different fiber content.
    There is also a product on the market called Fiber-Etch. It is a liquid that in theory is supposed to give the same results--hence--etching the design into the nap of the fabric. I have never used this product-so I can't tell you much more than that.
    Good Luck-Hope that helps :)
    Ferd

3. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    What Ferd said.
    :p

Also, I have seen this done with a carved wood stamp, instead of the traditional rubber stamp. So, in the event you can't find a fleur-de-lis that you like (or you can't get the correct size gradations) and you're feeling adventurous with a scroll saw, you can make your own. Time consuming, but helpful if you're feeling nit-picky about the project's perfection level.
    One caveat: you really have to sand the wood well, to prevent snags in your fabric.

Again, test, test, test.

-sg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.