main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips plz!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Yuul_Shamar, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004
    Ok, I am setting up a game with a group of my friends in a few days set in the rebellion era. I would like to have inquisitors be a part of it as I have never had them in a game of mine and they can be something new for my players to face. I have set up the game with RCR D20 rules and the players will be 1-3 in level(still undecided) It is looking like I will have 3-4 players. I would also like to create some ideas for them to have run ins with the imps without be part of the rebel alliance, at least at first.

Whether your advice be D6 or D20 I will take it, I can convert.

-Inquisitor advice/info

-Possible ways to have a character be force sensitive without its player knowing and bringing the hints that he might be in slowly and somewhat hard to figure out.

I'll have more later but thatrs it for now. Any advice is welcome.

2. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    For inquisitors: modify an existing jedi and twist the personality a bit. Power down Tremain by ~half to 3/4 of whatever he is.
    Inquisitors question party about whereabouts of some jedi they're hunting--politely--even though the party has no information.

As for the Imps: officials and bureaucrats annoy everyone. Imps are especially fond of harrassing non-humans.
    The Party has to pass through a security checkpoint--the imps are looking for rebel agents.
    Stormtroopers gun down a fleeing suspect without bothering to actually chase him/her
    Random execution of criminals.
    Random execution of citizens. The old Roman policy of executing one male of every ten (decimating) subjugated peoples in order to keep peace wasn't very well received by the subjugated people.

Untrained Force-sensatives: that player knows what is going to happen right before it does. Take off-hand suggestions and guesses that the player makes and work them into the plot. "Yeah, There's probablly a platoon of troopers around the corner." well, even if there wasn't in the story, put one in. Likewise, make the tactital suggestions the player makes work, especially if the party chooses another course of action. "I told you we should have done _____." The character knew exactly which episode of "Blister the Wonder-collie" and "The Expendables" would be on without consulting the holovid channel guide. Try upping the player's initiative rolls by a couple points. The trick is to be subtle, and keep the players guessing. It isn't until the drunken hobo walks up to him after about 5 adventures and asks what he thinks he's doing & offers training that the characters should be certain.

That help?

3. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    I'm actually doing something similar in my d6 campaign. The way I'm going about doing it is having the party -- while not a part of the rebellion -- meet a Jedi watchman on a mid/outer rim world, and then later run in to the inquisition; both want the party's help in some way. (The inquisition, obviously, to find the Jedi) They get to chose which side to support.

It is interesting you are wanting a way to slowly hint a PCs force sensitivity. I am actually doing a very similar thing. If you take the Jedi route, like I am, you could have the Jedi guy notice it, but only vaguely hint about it.

PC: "Wow. That was sure lucky of us to run into you right now to save our skins!"

Jedi: "There is no luck. There is only the Force. . ."

If you're not interested including a remaining Jedi, I would have the Inquisition chasing after the Force sensitive party memeber, and use that as a method to hint away at his potential. For example, the party could be led to believe that they are being hounded because someone in a the criminal world they angered has framed them for helping a rebel cell in the system; however, the Imperial Inquisition has become aware of the Force sensitive party and memeber. Sensible ways to set this up would be a public display of ability: Swoop races, Pod races, dueling arenas (like the ones from KOTOR), a daring rescue effort, confrontation with a powerful Bounty Hunter (good for fooling the players into thinking they were framed by the mob, and an Imperial Bounty is out on their hides), etc. He could be deemed him too weak to convert, yet too strong to stay alive. Or you could do just the opposite: Since the Inquisitorious is often filled with weaker Force-users who rely on stealth and guile, torture and intimidation, and intelligence, they could be jealous of the force-sensitive's potential, and refuse to attempt converting him so as to avoid further competition in the ranks. This opens up some interesting prospects for the campaign, too. A higher level Inquisitor could come in to play, and pit the weaker members of the inquisitorious and the force sensitive guy against each other as part of a scheme to get the PC to give into his anger. Something like that could be used a climax of the Adventure, where the PC is fully exposed to his talent, and faced with the choice of attacking his opponent in anger, or turning away from the Evil he's being tempted with.

If you want the struggle of a servant of the Light Side trying to guide and protect the PC, and a Dark Side master tempting him with power, or simply out to kill him, yet want to avoid any actual Jedi Knights, consider some of your other options, like weaker but nonetheless Force sensitive Ithorian shamans and healers, or even better, a Quixotic Jedi, from the WEG treasure trove of in-universe fluff. Quixotic Jedi's could be people who really want to be, or may be even really think they are Jedi, because at times, they SWEAR they really hear the Force. They carry along with them the morals of the Jedi of old, or at least what the think that is. In reality, they are attuned to the Force, but only in a few Sense-based powers. Nothing else. Being in the presence of a person strong in the Force could sort of fire-up the Quixotic's Force Sensitive stuff more often then usual, showing him that the PC isn't just a normal guy. To ensure that everyone is guessing, the Quixotic Jedi might not have enough control over his abilities that while his Force sense may be tingling, he's not quite sure what readings he's picking up until later sessions, and then might try to convince the PC of his power ONLY shortly before the grand finale. PCs of course, could very well be skeptical, since. . . well. . . he's a little nuts. ;)

Also, you could get even more wacky with things, and have the party stumble upon one of those devices that measures a person's level of Force Sensitivity from Jedi Academy Trilogy, but not be exactly sure what it is, or how it works. "Hey, why does this darned thing show different read-outs for you, not us?" A

4. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    Interesting ideas and very useful ones at that, thank you both.

5. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    Game Starts, after introducing the characters a bunch of laughs involving a character drinking something I call a "huttese brainsmasher" the characters never set foot on the main story and even then only skim it several hours later. instead they try to break into an iumperial maximum security prison looking for a characters brother. Their team, a stormtrooper deserter, a man lookin for his bro with zero cocious, and a 12 year old boy with blond hair blue eyes.

Amazingly they escape with their lives, ill say the rest tommorow.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I believe both the Rebellion Era Sourcebook and The Dark Side Sourcebook have materials on Inquisitors?

7. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    The Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim, by WEG is really good for more background information on the Inquisition, too.

8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Maybe we can make this more a general "Adventure Tips" thread, if I may hijack it [face_mischief]

Now that my PCs are higher level and on their own more, I'm letting them chart their own adventure path a little more than at lower levels, but it's coming back to bite me. I'm needing a bit of help coming up with an adventure idea based on party feedback, but first let me give you a bit of backstory:

First off, in a sort of "off-screen" event, Jedi Master Leia Organa-Solo has made peaceful contact with the Zeison Sha, and impressed them enough that they allow Jedi to come to Yanibar and learn some of their techniques.

Secondly, one of the PC Jedi in my campaign, a Togruta, just recently made Jedi Knight. She has decided that as part of her continuing growth, to take a few steps towards letting go of the "pack hunter" mentality of her species. For example, she views her fellow party members as her "pack," and viewed her former Master as the "alpha hunter" of the party. She sees the Zeison Sha, with their emphasis on self-reliance, as a step in the right direction.

The other party members are a Human Jedi Knight, a Human scoundrel who is attempting to revive the Freedoms' Sons, and a Zabrak scout. The Zabrak is going for Force Adept and wants little to do with the Jedi Order, but is also interested in the Zeison Sha self-reliance philosophy.

Here are my challenges, both from an RP standpoint and a gaming logistics standpoint: What type of type of missions could I do for those characters interested in training, while also doing something for the other party members?

One idea I have is to split the party, with the Jedi and the scout on Yanibar, while the scoundrel and the other Jedi are off doing something else. The challenge there is the personality types of those two. The Jedi is a beatstick/scourge of the dark side (think Ronan Dax with a lightsaber) while the scoundrel is a combination of tech spec/pilot.

I'm really scratching my head on this, and my next game session is next Wednesday...

Help me fellow gamers, you're my only hope!

9. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Well, one idea is to give each party member a reason for going on mission Yadda Yadda. Takes time, though.
    Breaking the party up causes headaches all around, as you probablly already know.

How about a training mission that emphasizes the ability to have the strength of unity with adaptability of of individuality? Think about CSI, Buffy, or the first X-Men movie. Everyone was needed, but for different reasons. THere's a cute episode of Blake's 7 in which they have to get past games to win the prize. The first game is to use a simulated gun to out-shoot yourself (The game cheats--the first 2 rounds are to evaluate your ability, and the third time the opponent version of you moves faster than you can--and that shot can kill). After that they have to bypass a biometric-locked door without damaging the structure. The third game is a flight simulator set to expert level. The final game was to pilot the station to the nearest ____ class star. Just so happens that said star is a black hole and the whole thing was a trap.
    Teamwork using individual skills.

Of course, if you need actual story ideas, there's always the Adventure Ideas Go Here thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.