main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips to people on how to make a good Jedi name for your story

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by TheDarth, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDarth

TheDarth Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 30, 2001
    Can someone help people with this once and for all? (including me) :D

2. GoldenVeila

GoldenVeila Jedi Master star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    Well, I don't know about Jedi names but I *really* don't know what to name this one main character guy in my first ever attempt at a Star Wars fanfic. I had his name start with J then I realized I didn't want that and now I have no idea what to name him. :_| I even tried one of this "fantasy name generators"...terrible, terrible idea. They had names like "Uzorlin" etc. and "Xivlt". Didn't help at all....

3. Marawannabe

Marawannabe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2001
    I just always choose a name that is different sounding. *shrugs* I really don't think there's a certain patern you have to follow.

4. GoldenVeila

Aug 16, 2001
    Yeah, I can think up different names pretty easily, it's just that I won't be satisfied until the name sounds "right" for that character. It usually takes a long time to find the perfect name... although, I usually do eventually find it.

5. Marawannabe

Marawannabe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2001
    It took me 2 hours for my first OC for SW.

6. -Ace-

-Ace- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    My suggestion is to take a earthly name and pluralize it, and then spell it differently.
    Ex. Jack -> Jacks -> Jax
    Like that, just keep your hands off mine.

7. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Take the last syllable of one word and join it to the first syllable of another word:

Serwin, for instance, comes from what I'm looking at right now: "For your convenience, you can review the topic you're replying to in its own browSER WINdow by clicking here."

Remove the prefix or other letters from a word: Fidence comes from confidence, for instance. And from your own name TheDarth: "Hedar".

Look at National Geographic and find words from different languages quoted in the articles, such as "Tarab".

8. Rogue_Starbuck

Rogue_Starbuck Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    Mmmm. What I did was go through books, pick out names etc. Then I looked at some baby name sites on the web, and picked out some less common looking ones.

I had quite a list of names down, and then I started chopping them up, and mixing and matching them. It took me a couple of hours experimenting, but it's funny with the types of names you come up with. :)

R.

9. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    Find a few names that you like, then look for similarities between them. I've found that I like names with an 'a' and a 'y' in them, and names that end with 'an'. Once you've discovered which letters you like, stringing them together in different ways shouldn't be too difficult.

:)

= Clare =

10. GoldenVeila

Aug 16, 2001
    Yeah, I've spent an hour or so last night coming up with different names but still couldn't find the right one. I'll just have to keep trying...

11. ArnaKyle

ArnaKyle Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2000
    I have no clue how I do it, I really avoid using formulas, I suddenly think of something and scribble it down.

IE: One day, while standing in Kung Fu, doing nothing, I suddenly said to myself "Jara! Mencar!" and tried to remember it until I got home.

Or just start talking out a story outloud, and sooner or later....something will come out of your mouth that's a name. It works for me at least...

I also play around with words....though it's rare. Once while doing trig hw, "sin" became "syana" I have a weird thought process.

12. TheDarth

TheDarth Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 30, 2001
    nice people i bet you helped allot of writers today

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.