main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tired of saying names wrong ... PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by trainwrecka, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trainwrecka

trainwrecka Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2005
    Who wishes they would, whenever first mentioning a character in a novel or other written form, put the correct pronuciation in ( )?

To me that makes so much sense. Once you start saying something one way and then you hear it in the movie or by the author or something, you feel like a gimp.

I mean imagine how many people are saying "Darth Plagueis " wrong right now. I say it (PAL-e-JUS) probably wrong, but it would help if I knew the correct way.

This is not the first time either. With all the wierdo alien names and planets out there this would help a great deal in my opinion.

Who agrees?

2. Sithwitch_13

Sithwitch_13 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 2002
    Hm, I've been pronouncing it "plague-is". *shrug*

Yeah, I've had this discussion several times with assorted friends. The conversation that sums it up, though, is from about 8 years ago:

me, impersonating a star wars alien: "Hi, my name is unpronouncable by humans, so just call me Bob."

Why does nobody except Wookiees ever do this?

3. LordJoda-181

LordJoda-181 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2004
    I called Talon Karrde, (Car-ade) the first time I read HtE It wasn't untill about half way through DFR before I realized my mistake.

I still have to catch myself saying Baron Soonter Fel

I say Yuuzhan Vong (Yuzz-an Vong) not (You-zan Vong)

as far as plagueis goes I say it more latin style Plague-Eus

4. WRAITH_LEADER

WRAITH_LEADER Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2002
    I agree. Hell, most times I just make up names that are remotley close. I galled Tahiri Ti-ree forever do to Lack of knowledge. I mean, couldn't they stuck with names like, Luke or Leia? I tend to get those right.

5. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    Personally I think it's okay if you have your own spin on some character's names-- that's part of the fun! I admit, it's nice to know for sure sometimes, but it's not that big of a deal.

6. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Yeah. I somtimes tend to skimm over names and make my own, not very close pronunciation. I then learn I have them wrong when talking about them with a friend. He's really good at getting the name proninciations correct (or at least closer then mine).

I had the same trouble as Joda mentioned before. I am still prettly sure I am pronouncing Iella wrong. I pronounce it like EE-lee-ah.

I pronounce Aayla completely wrong. I used to say it like A (long a)-lee-ah. Now I pronounce it with a short A at the beginning.

Oddly, my friend who usually pronounces things more correct, got me into one of my worst habbits, and almost got me into another bad one.

Jaina:

I used to pronounce Jaina like Jay-nah. Or Jane-ah. But he told me I was wrong, and got me into this horrible habbit of pronouncing her name "Jainia." Which is like jay-knee-ah. I know it's wrong, but anything else doesn't seem right to me, and is just forced.

The other one I almost fell into was for Jacen:

I Have always thought it to be pronounced like the earth Jason. But he almost convinced me that it was like "jakeon." Luckly I set thins straight, so now we bothe pronounce it like the earth name :)

Also I've never been able to pronounce that Rogue pilot who's name startes with (and her nickname is) Rhy. I've been way too lazy to learn it, so I just call her Rhy. :p

7. Darth_Arisin

Darth_Arisin Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2005
    You know, I have this one thing that I mispronounce knowingly only because it sounds better: Carida, the Imperial training world that Kyp destroyed. I pronounce it "Caridia."

Plagueis I have two ways of saying it: Plague-is or Plague-eus. It depends on how lazy I'm feeling at the moment.

Does anyone know how to pronounce Myrkr? I say something like "Mir-ker."

How about Utapau? Is it "Yu-top-ow?" "Oo-tap-ooa?" What?

8. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    Are you sure yoy spelled Carida right? Because I pernounce it Cardia. :p

I pernounce Myrkr like Mykur (but i know I'm wrong)

9. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    I pronounce it Mer-ker.

One of my most idiotic mispronounciations was Karrde. For some unkown reason, when I first read Heir to the Empire I thought it sounded like Ka-raid. But in my defense I was like eight.

10. C-3PX

C-3PX Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    That's no excuse. When I was 8 I was flying aeroplanes and writting novelettes.

11. WRAITH_LEADER

WRAITH_LEADER Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2002
    3px is havond delusions of grandur again. :p

12. maryaminx

maryaminx Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 24, 2005
    I always pronounce Myrkr Meer-keer. I also pronounce Coruscant CORE-eh-SAHNT, because I think it sounds better.

13. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    For Plaqueis, I pronounce it like: Plague-ee-us. I am probably wrong.

For Yuuzhan Vong, I say: You-shun Vong.

Hmm...what about Tsavong Lah(sp?): I say Savong La.

And also, Ysanne Isard. I say Ye-zane Is-erd. I think this one has already been gone over before.

darth_nemisis

14. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    The only one I ever had trouble with was Ysanne Isard, bit now pronounce it E-san-ne Isard. I'm almost 100% sure that it's right.

Evil.

15. Dante_Glass

Dante_Glass Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    I pronounce Aayla completely wrong. I used to say it like A (long a)-lee-ah. Now I pronounce it with a short A at the beginning.

I used to do the same thing.

16. Darth_Arisin

Darth_Arisin Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2005
    "Are you sure yoy spelled Carida right? Because I pernounce it Cardia."

According to the Guide to the Star Wars Universe, third edition, it's spelled "Carida." I personally liked "Caridia" better. That's how I still say it.

17. Sithwitch_13

Sithwitch_13 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 2002
    Eh, I've alwaysed pronounced Aayla "ay-lah" because I have knew someone whose name wasy Ayla and pronounced it that way. I guess I could see the short "a" there, though.

Has anyone besides me ever tried to say Bpfassh out loud?

18. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    Yes. :p It's fun :p

Man, I wish Hanhad tried to pronounce the names of theose two ther systems :p

19. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    don't know why, but I used to read Coruscant as Corsucant. Then I realized my mistake and started calling it Coruskant. It took me a couple times hearing Liam Neeson pronounce it to realize he was saying it the best way. I was also glad that Lucas stuck with Zahn's name for the planet. Now if only he'd have just let Zahn write the prequels himself....

20. NenYim

NenYim Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    To my embarrasment, before I actually watched The Phantom Menace, I pronounced Qui-Gon, quee-gin. I still find myself doing that occasionally.

As for Karrde, I called him card-ay, before I figured out it should be pronounced card. I think. :p

Mykur, (I bet I'm not even spelling that right. :D ) I pronounce mur-kur.

In all, I am very bad at figuring out how to say things. :D :p

21. darthnick11

darthnick11 Guest

I thought Jacen was Jake-en for a while, but now I know its like Jason.

22. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    Wait. I thought that Karrde was pernounced Kardé :( I'm so confused :( ;) :p

23. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    Blame GL, the other screenwriters, and the authors. :p

Different pronounciations are fun. :D :p

24. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    I thought Dooku was Doe-koo before I saw AOTC. I still think my way is better. :p

25. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    There's a pronunciation guide in the "New Essential Guide To Characters". But for the record:

Car'ee'da
    Jay'nuh
    Jay'son
    Card
    Core'oo'sahnt

As for Aalya, I have no idea.

Dana

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.