main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tired of the Cliches?!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Hello everyone,

I would like to hear your thoughts on the below:

Are you tired of the cliche Star Wars stories? Don't get my wrong, New Jedi Order is fantastic, however, when that finishes, I don't want to see something of the same, I want to be challenged as a reader with something fresh and original.

I think that we need something different from the tried and true formulaic approach - ie: the Republic vs. new enemy on a galactic scale.

I would like to see stories on a different scope. For example:

* A novel about a Jedi healer, detailing the horrors of war.

* A post-war trial, ala Nuremburg at the end of World War II (This could take place after the collapse of the Empire)

* A political thriller - perhaps how Valorum becomes Chancellor.

* A tragic romance novel, ala Romeo & Juliet.

* A Star Wars horror novel.

* A novel about the characters on the fringe of society - perhaps the Smuggler's Alliance?

What would you like to see?

Would you like to see other genre's in Star Wars, ie: Horror, Thriller, Romance, Comedy?

2. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002

* A post-war trial, ala Nuremburg at the end of World War II (This could take place after the collapse of the Empire)

Nah

Rather see more about Palps than Valorum

Allston's already done it.

Hell no.

* A novel about the characters on the fringe of society - perhaps the Smuggler's Alliance?

No thanks.

What I want is, regardless of the general plot, which will preferably be about some War in the Stars, more well-written and emotionally touching, character-driven novels.

3. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Why wouldn't you want Star Wars horror?

Someone like King or Koontz writing, it could be awesome!

4. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    I very rarely find horror scary. Star Wars doesn't seem like the right medium for scary. If something in there is scary, cool, but I'm not interested in a Star Wars Horror novel.

5. Baron_Fel

Baron_Fel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    I would like some peacetime stories but the reason why Star Wars is called Star Wars is because it's about wars in space.The EU to me tends to skip peacetime,but that's because Star Wars is about war,it even has war in it's name.What we should all know is that Star Wars isn't a great work of literature,it's about reading fun and exciting stories.

6. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Perhaps if there IS going to be another multi-book story arc after NJO, there should perhaps be a trilogy during peacetime - reconstruction.

7. Nitro29

Nitro29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2001
    A tragic romance? I'll bet that'll happen if Tahiri commits suicide because of Anakin, then Anakin comes back to life right as she's doing it, then kills himself too.(no, wait, that'll be plagerism, wouldn't it?)

8. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Seriously everyone,...

I have just hit the tip of the iceberg to the potential unwritten Star Wars stories out there... if you don't agree with my examples, what would you like to read?

9. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    Good books. Preferably mostly be people who haven't written Star Wars before. Preferably by people who care about the material, and not just about the paycheck.

10. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    King or Kooncts writghing SW. I'd buy it.

A deep passonate love story would be spectacular Jacen-Tenel Ka, Jaina-Jag Fel. Yes definetly a love story to lighten up the dark for just a while in the NJO.

11. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    Perhaps in a collection of short stories; still a good idea.

Yes! YES! I WANT THIS! With Infinities it would be cool...we could round up Palpy, Zsinj, Thrawn, Tarky and all their lovely genocidal friends. That is such a cool idea! I hope DH does it! :)

Again, Palpy would be better than Valorum.

Hmmmm...well, maybe...

Nah, as someone said, SW isn't the right medium for it.

12. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    The post-war trial doesn't have to be infinites!!!! They could trial characters that perhaps we haven't 'met' before, and are high up in the echelons of power.

13. AdmiralZaarin

Jul 8, 2001
    Yes, but it could be Infinities. Alternately we could get the still living familiar ones with new guys. The possiblities are endless.

14. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002

They could trial characters that perhaps we haven't 'met' before, and are high up in the echelons of power.
    But they don't. Imperial officers who join they take. If after they've joined the NR they give out information to the enemy, they're killed.

15. AdmiralZaarin

Jul 8, 2001
    Sorry, that made no sense :p

16. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Considering that the empire never truly surrendered, it would be pretty hard to have nuremburg trials given to them.

17. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Gatherer,all your ideas are cliches. :p

What isn't anymore? :p ;)

18. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Thanks. Thanks a lot! :)

19. DaJames2

DaJames2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2002
    I wouldn't mind an Infinities with Palpy in a cage, surrounded by ysalamiri. "Mr Palpatine, you are charged with crimes against humanity, Wookieedom, Twilek-hood, etc, the release of Ewoks upon the general galaxy,Ewok-genocide.. <judge looks at his sheet> oh, terribly sorry, that's not a crime. <strikes the line on his clipboard>, worshipping the Devil, <which one, cries Palpatine,> all of them <oh, yes that's right, admits Palps>, the murder of Anakin Skywalker, <isn't the galaxy better off without him, asks Palps> well that's true, <strikes line from his clipboard, and picks up next one>, stealing candy from babies,etc.

Mr Palpatine how would you like to respond ?"

Mr. Palpatine : I was framed. Just ask my three-eyed son and two-eyed grandson.

Judge : All right, then. Mr Trioculus, your testimony please.

Palps : Trioculus, argghh !!! <breaks free of cage and zaps Trioculus with Force-Lightning> I'll kill you. <gets dragged off by Springer bouncers>.

Judge : Mr. Trioculus, you're due for an appointment on Friday.

<Trioculus' body is thrown out the door>

I could keep going forever.

20. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Gr-Adm-Thrawn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2002
    "the Tales of the ... Empire, Bounty hunters, the New republic, Jabbas' palace" do that.

I mean exploring the GFFA with someone who for once isn't a Jedi or a X-wing pilot or an Imperial Admiral. Giving a different perspective on things.

What do you really want ? No offense, but i'm kinda confused with what you are really awaiting from the novels you talk about.

21. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Yeah, but how LONG since we had a "Tales of..." novel.... YEARS! :(

22. DaJames2

Jan 17, 2002
    Last was '99 i think, and that was just repeating SWAJ, which meant it was new for some of the readers (like myself) but not for others.

I don't think there is really any SWAJ equivalent (short story-wise) anymore

23. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Gr-Adm-Thrawn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2002
    Yeah, you're right.

it's been too long. wonder if Lucas books would agree to publish fan novels ... you know, like fans submit a shot tale relative to the NJO - like they precise which time period and hey presto, you got a contest - the 10 best get published and the fans mark the GFFA in a Canonic way ...

:D :D :D :D

OK OK OK i'm dreaming, but they should do some things like that you know, sometimes it's boring to always see the same names on a dozen novels of SW - and it lacks of fresh ideas. I mean .. well you know

24. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    trioculus wasn't palpy's son. Your thinking of triclops.

The last tales from book had maybe 1 or 2 original stories in it, not seen in the AJs that was all.

25. DaJames2

Jan 17, 2002
    Share the glory aorund a bit ?

Edit : Valiento, i was making a joke about Trioculus claiming to be the Emperor's son, and in response Palps takes him out. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.