main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tired of the Cliches?!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Oh, OK, was a bit confused about that, considering you made refrence to his grand son.

2. DaJames2

DaJames2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2002
    It was several jokes in one, Val. GoDV would have you believe that a human being can have a three-eyed son, who will in turn produce a perfectly normal human son.

3. jade_angel

jade_angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Wow... this thread got off topic really quickly!

* A novel about a Jedi healer, detailing the horrors of war.

Nah, that kind of stuff's not for me.

* A post-war trial, ala Nuremburg at the end of World War II (This could take place after the collapse of the Empire)

Eeek! No! I've read enough of that in fanfics... three major ones to be precise. Two were about Vader/Anakin's trial and another was about Luke and Leia during the OT, the Anakin one was kinda boring, too many rehashed topics. The second Anakin trial was ok since it was shorter, but I enjoyed the Luke/Leia one.

* A political thriller - perhaps how Valorum becomes Chancellor.

When reading about politics, I always get this very soiled feeling and they bore me to death.

* A tragic romance novel, ala Romeo & Juliet.

Aint that forbidden love thing between Ani and Pad kinda like R+J?

* A Star Wars horror novel.

I consider all of the NJO a nightmare... well BP excluded.

* A novel about the characters on the fringe of society - perhaps the Smuggler's Alliance?

Well I did enjoy reading the HS Trilogy largely because of the smugglers and the New Rebellion because of them too, so maybe.

What I'd really love to read about are stories of Ben Skywalker and his life growing up... perhaps a few books, like four or five? An entire series like the YJK would be too much.

What would you like to see?

Would you like to see other genre's in Star Wars, ie: Horror, Thriller, Romance, Comedy?

4. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    In my opinion Star Wars is heading down the soap opera road and Lucas and Del Rey have decided do feed us with the established Star Wars cliches until the last fan quits.

Do we have technological evolution?
    Is the Star Wars society so much different from ours?
    Why do people still have to marry?
    And so ...

There ain't much of Science Fiction left in Star Wars.

5. DaJames2

Jan 17, 2002
    The impression one gets from this thread is that there's not a lot of optimism on this issue. I hope everyone who can't make up their mind about what they like and gets depressed about it doesn't complain about the next SW series ;) As for me, personally the NJO and Prequels are fresh and exciting enough to keep me satisfied for a little ways yet, then i'll see.

6. Elite_Guard

Elite_Guard Jedi Master star 2

Oct 7, 2001
    the NJO could very well be the end...

7. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    A ala Enemy at the Gates thing would be cool, like in a huge battle when two people wage their own private war.

As for the Nuurenburg thing, ah whats that all about anyway? I know it had something to do with the Nazis after WW2.

Another cool thing would be a cold war situation, maybe like a military buildup between chiss and NR...

8. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    What I've wanted to see is a Seven Samurai or Siege type thing, with a small group of Jedi, maybe 7, trap on a pre-spaceflight (pre-tech maybe) planet which is involved in a huge world- or civil-war. They'd choose to participate with the side they thought was right, and only one or two would end up surviving by the time the rescue ship got there.

9. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    That sound cool too...

10. Miss_Jaina

Miss_Jaina Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 30, 2001
    I'd like to see any peace time books. Maybe a rebuilding of Rogue Squadron or something. The NJO was enough war, lets find something else to do.

~Miss Jaina

11. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    "What I've wanted to see is a Seven Samurai "

That would be Jedi Knight. :p

12. tanjokabri

tanjokabri Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    Miss_Jaina, the problem is with peace, is that it's boring to read! sad as it is, you need some conflict to keep the book interesting... but i do agree that there should be a time of peace... come on, give our heroes a break, their entire lives have been spent jumping from one conflict to another...

but a star wars horror novel? Please no... the very thought makes me shudder...

13. Jedi_Kettch

Jedi_Kettch Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2001
    I like the idea of a humor novel. Starfighters of Adumar was hilarious, and there was only really one battle scene at the end. maybe more along the lines of that.

14. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    I'd like to see another political intrigue novel, sort of like Black Fleet Crisis. I enjoy reading about the inner workings of the political echelons.

15. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    I'd like to see a Dathomir novel, as well. Maybe one that's half and half story and flashbacks, set sometime around Infinity's End or maybe a few years earlier. It could explain the discrepancies between how Dathomir was then and in CoPL, it could explain how Palps and that Black Sun guy knew about Dathomir. It could also have flashbacks to 400 years ago or whenever with Allya or whatever her name was, and then forward a bit to the Jedi going there after the Chu'unthor and all that.

16. ash_shack_II

ash_shack_II Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 27, 2001
    What about an Indiana Jones-ish novel? Like maybe an archeologist finds some ancient relic, or maybe he's looking for something and the Empire has people looking for it, yadda yadda yadda.

Or maybe something like M*A*S*H*? When I read the Wraith Squadron books, Face and Phanan reminded me of Hawkeye and Pierce so much that it was scary.

Ooh, and what about a James Bond-type book? A Star Wars super spy-thriller. That'd be cool.

I guess what I really want it more short stories, with a focus on characters. I loved the Tales of books. Maybe we could have a Tales of the New Jedi Order or something. Or Tales of the Old Republic, or Tales from the Outer Rim, or Tales of the Unknown Regions, or Tales of the Deep Core, or Tales of the Lit. Forums. :D

17. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    Your Indiana Jones-ish tale could be of young Jerec.

18. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Or kyle katarn considering he took on similer type career that jerec did in his spare time, well not when he's in Outcasted mode for sure.

19. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    The Gatherer (may I call you 'The'?), have you ever read 'Watchers' by Koontz?

Best.Book.Ever.

20. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    I want more new characters. Ah-lah Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter or even the X-wing books. Thats not overdone much in the saga, and I like that kind of stuff.

21. BobaFetts_Clone

BobaFetts_Clone Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2001
    I'd like to see the trails like the Nuremberg trails. It would be kinda cool. The Jedi could get sondeming info on the poeple. PLus, while the trial is going on, they could uncover deeper the association the Vong had with this galaxy before the invasion. I'd be cool to see what they were up to in preparation for the invasion. I doubt Nom Anor was the only one....

Plus you could have another story about Jedi unraveling another plot or something, there's potnetial in this.....
    Plus we can get to know some of the newer jedi, not just the solo/skywalkers and close friends...

22. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I very rarely find horror scary. Star Wars doesn't seem like the right medium for scary. If something in there is scary, cool, but I'm not interested in a Star Wars Horror novel.

I agree with this because the people of the GFFA are so jaded it's like, "Hey, another planet got blown up! Damn!
    Is that a grilled nyklok satay? Yum! Let's get some bliels to go with it!"

I don't think anything phases them anymore.

23. Derek_Colze

Derek_Colze Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2002
    Maybe the NR could make a second outbound flight project. It takes place right before NJO and they see the worldships coming in. Then the mission is ambushed and no one returns...

But I like the style of the X-Wing series books the most because it didn't focus on the same characters; Han, Leia, Luke...

24. DaJames2

Jan 17, 2002
    Perhaps a story about exploring the Vong galaxy, if that doesn't come up in NJO.

25. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    I'd like to throw my tow cents into the pot.

I'm all for Star Wars stories that deal with characters we have never met, IE, original characters that can be written with humanity, complexity and an absence of what is traditional in SW. I want to see a cop drama (in fact I started one; A Common Crime - take a look in my fanfic posts for a link) or a murder mystery. I want a few novellas about the fall of the Republic or the NJO or the rise of the Empire from a layman's perspective, all in one collection. I would love to see a complesx story about two Jedi who fall pre-TPM and decide to restart the Sith order, only to be hunted and killed by those of Darth Bane's line (preferably pre-Maul and Sidious). I want to know how the rank and file soldier felt when going into battle agains the Yuuzhan Vong or Empire or Rebellion. I bet Hoth was a tense time; let's read some stories about it from the perspective of a general, technician, soldier, tauntaun rider, etc. Politics in the GFFA are twisting and fascinating to delve into (if you can handle a few pages w/o lightsabers and convention [face_plain] ).

I think, given the right author, a post-NJO trilogy on the Reconstruction would be a phenomenal read. You have the Hutts in ruins, smugglers returning to prominence, the Corporate Sector branching out, the Empire "aiding" damaged systems and in the process, creating colonies and increasing the size of the Remnant to a formidable empire again. The New Republic, in shambles, struggles to retain order and cohesion; the Senate is deminished, more power given to the Chief of State and a Ruling Council, along with the new Jedi Council that assists the military (think of the Jedi as marshalls in the old American West). We follow the lives of regular people, not the Solos, Skywalkers and movie fixtures. No more Corran Horn or Mara Jade or Thrawn clones or any of the other overused characters.

I want someone to take a literary look at Star Wars, instead of the commercial tripe we're fed these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.