main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA Titanic: The Artifact Exhibition

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JedHead1, Dec 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    This was brought up at the party/meeting. The exhibit will run only until Jan. 7, 2007. If anyone is still interested in seeing this, the info is here:

http://www.sftitanic.com/

2. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I might want to see it when I get back from LA. Right now it is hard to think that far ahead! Holiday Stresssss!

3. Ms_Skywalker

Ms_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 17, 2005
    This is a great experience. I went in September with a friend and it's worth the $. I was takin pics with my camera phone and one of the exhibit folks got all pissed off. I said Oooopps didn't know I was not allowed. I kept the 2 photos of the grand staircase in my phone. It's awesome ... you really feel like you are on the Titanic. The hallway remake is creepy though.

4. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    We went up on a spur of the moment thing with a couple of friends from the South Bay last Sunday, I'm glad we didn't miss it.

Yeah, we managed to snap some covert shots as well, guy with me was a little more obvious and got chastised for it. If you turn off the flash and you're not obvious about it, I don't think they are too concerned.

Besides, the dang book they sell for the show doesn't contain photos of the actual show you are at, and that's what I want to record for myself. Still I bought the book and splurged a bit and bought a replica soup bowl with the White Star logo on it. I'm going to create a shadow box display with the bowl partly submerged in sand like it was still underwater.

This was our first time at the Metreon. It's impressive and parking was not the nightmare I expected. Expensive, but at least we found a space in fairly short order, which I was totally amazed considering the time of year. The comic store was terrific, lots to go back there for after the holidays when I get some disposable income again.

I'm very envious of you folks, you live in such a beautiful place, and the events that happen right in town are splendid and awe inspiring. I know this time of year traffic, parking, crowding is even more of an annoyance, and the cost of living is never easy, nor is the constant threat of a major quake somewhere in the future.

But every time we go to Disneyland and ride "Sorin' Over California" the first thing they show is the GG bridge and it always makes me feel homesick for the Bay Area, the bridge to me says "Home"

Union Square all lit up with lights, the view of the bridges spinning out over the bay, the Cable Cars, GGNRA parks, the cultural events, night life, unique shopping, sumptuous dining, all combine to make San Francisco the gem of the west and perhaps one of if not the most beautiful cities in the country.

Happy Holidays and all the best to you and yours in the "City by the Bay"

5. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I agree, Sid. Working as a concierge and dealing with tourists, you sometimes forget what SF and the Bay Area has to offer. Locals can often forget about what makes this place special. Makes me kind of sad that C4 wasn't held here. I could've made a "Guide To SF" for all the attendees! [face_thinking]

6. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    How's Jan. 6 (Sat.) sound for those interested?

7. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    If I can arrange the time, mind if I tag along? I have been wanting to go to this so badly. I may even drag my roommate along.

8. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    As long as you bring pics from Pasadena, Hawkie! ;)

9. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    Absolutely! I'm going to be taking all sorts of pics down there. Especially candid shots in the hotel of troopers being..well...troopers. I just wish I could take pics on the parade route. A Pilot's Eye view, if you will.

10. AKAI_FETT

AKAI_FETT Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2006
    I'll go. Is this a show / tour?

11. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    It's a touring exhibition, Lou, and this is it's only San Francisco appearance. Now once it leaves, if they could replace it with the "Science of Star Wars".... [face_thinking]

12. skye_solo

skye_solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004
    ...Science of Star Wars. Now that should be interesting...

13. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    Just went to the exhibit with a co-worker today, but am more than willing to check it out one last time, since after SF it will be moving off to Denver. Not spoil anything, but it was cool to see how some oddities survived after all of these years like: some corked bottles of champagne, or all of the paper money.

And it was also strange after all of these years of the 4th floor of METREON being "Where the Wild things Are", how one would not have known all of the changes they did to convert that old space...

Anyway those did already go, did the passenger of the actual Titanic from the "boarding pass" you recieved upon entry of the exhibit survive the tragedy? Mine did...

14. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Unfortunately, it's not planned for a stop here (which doesn't make sense, since all the props and costumes are stored here!) :mad: It will run from February to April 2007 in LA. Too bad they couldn't extend it another month for C4. :(

15. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Titanic is extended to Jan 28th now, woot!

16. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Good to know! Now we can have a meeting and see the exhibition at the same time. :)

17. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    I'll pass on this one.

18. jawbreaker666

jawbreaker666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2005
    Matt let me know if you guys come down here for the science of star wars event. I would love to go with you guys.

19. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Let us know when it opens down there, Mark. Maybe a few of us can go down there on opening weekend, like we did for the FIDM exhibition. :)

20. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    I think I might still go this weekend, though it's nice to know it has been extended.
    Anyone still interested in going Saturday?

21. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Bridg, if you do go this weekend, let me know. I have something to give to you.

22. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    Ooooh! I will most definitely call you. [face_batting]

23. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    For those interested in going after the meeting, I suggest you buy tickets in advance, either downstairs at Metreon, or online. I'll be buying mine downstairs before the meeting.

24. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I meant to post this the other day, but I LOVED this exhibit! Words can't describe the emotions I felt reading the stories and being up close to actual artifacts from the wreckage. It's sad to know that in 20+ years, Titanic will pretty much gone from the ocean floor, but it's nice to know that these artifacts will live on as a testament to the memory to those who lived (and died) in 1912.

Last chance to see it is this Sunday, Jan. 28.

25. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    You know the wall where all the names are....
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Bridgetfalcon/Titanic.jpg]
    Possibly my great grandfather...John Edward Maguire, 1st Class, died.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.