main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Title fight: Macintosh v. PC

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SimplyThrilledHoney, Aug 16, 2004.

?

Title fight: Macintosh v. PC

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Macintosh

12.5%
  2. PC

75.0%
  3. Linux

12.5%
  4. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
  2. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    PE3C3E 1S TEH WIN4R!1!1!11!

3. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    Where do you stand? Do you even care?

I started using Macs when I was at University (when the entire Auckland University system was Macintosh) and was quite sceptical of PCs. Then, in 1999 I did a multimedia course at AUT, and was converted to Windows. I ended up buying a PC, mainly because they were cheaper and you got more bang for your buck.

For the last few years I've been using a PC at home and a Mac at work.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I decided I wanted to buy a laptop, as access to my home PC was limited as Vanessa was writing her MA dissertation on it.

In the end I bought a second hand Mac iBook ... mainly because they look cooler, and this way I can synch my work and home stuff more easily. Plus, Macs have a bunch of mitigating factors ... there's almost no virus risk, and they're REALLY easy to network. The OS is way more stable than Windows, and doesn't have the plethora of security flaws. And, the clinching factor is that they just look cooler.

Thoughts?

(And I appreciate that this is a geeky pool, even by the standards of a group dedicated to talking about SW)

4. Kai_Halicon

Kai_Halicon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    I'm with PC's, but only because I recently got a new machine for my job. I actually had a Mac for a while (iBook) which I inherited from an ex of mine when she was overseas for a few months. I found the Mac to be a lot less sterile in it's outlay and enjoyed using it for the most part. That, I and like iTunes.

However, I find PC's are just easier to get software for and the preferred medium across the board. However, they do have an inherently higher risk of data corruption and there always seems to be issues with driver software for newer applications.

5. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    they do have an inherently higher risk of data corruption

that just adds to the enjoyment :)

I'm impartial, I used a mac for a year doing graphic design at natcoll, now im back doing an evening course in dreamweaver. theyre great for supporting graphics software but that wouldnt make me go out and buy one.

6. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    There was a pc vs mac thread in the UoA computer science dept forums recently:

http://forums.cs.auckland.ac.nz:8181/viewtopic.php?t=14758

Not as ruthless as you'd expect from computer science students. There's also a link to a mac os emulator for your pc, so you can make your pc look like a mac.

One thing which annoys me, while using my brother's imac, is the mouse only has one button. No scrolling wheel either.

7. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    I used a Mac for my first time ever today in our music studio at school... and quite frankly I never want to use it again!

There were no buttons on the mouse you just press the whole mouse down... that got me first...

Then the fact that the whole OS is screwed!

ARGGGGGGGGH!

8. -Winter-

-Winter- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    I got too used to a PC, I don't think I can ever use a Mac, even if it might be faster for what I'll use it for. There are still Mac computers in the Grafton lab, I try to stay away from them as far as posible :p One button mouse is annoying too.

9. KEN_BENOKI_IS_BACK

KEN_BENOKI_IS_BACK Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2004
    Macs rule.

No bugs, cheap, video and 3D editing as a standard. How can you not get use to it? It is more simple than Windowzzzzzzzzzzzz.
    And in regards to the mouse? U can plug another one! ;)

PC are good for typing letters though, I have to admit that.

10. Norrad_Roff

Norrad_Roff Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2001
    When comparing Mac's to PC's you need to specify which aspects you want to compare.

As far as hardware goes (IMO) PC's win hands down. You can't go pulling a Mac to bits and rebuild them yourself as easily as a PC. PC bits are cheap too. I'll bet you can't buy a Mac motherboard from Dick Smith for under $200.

Really, the poll should be which OS do you prefer.

You can install Linux variants on both PC's and Mac's and you can also get Windoze emulators for Mac's. So the debate over which hardware is better, is up to the individual and what they are used to.

BTW: I didn't vote.

EDIT: Check out this thread if anyone is interested.

11. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    why the hell would anyone put a Windows emulator on the Mac?

I see your point ... I think, however, that mac hardware is better quality. I have a couple of old macs ... an 11 year old Powerbook 100 and an even older Mac Classic. Both boot up fine and actually run really well. I don't know if there'd be too many 386s out there still going strong.

I also like how people don't really write virisus (viri?) for Macs, nor are there any major spyware issues.

12. Norrad_Roff

Norrad_Roff Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2001
    I also like how people don't really write virisus (viri?) for Macs, nor are there any major spyware issues.

Prolly coz' Windows doesn't have open source code like Linux. People like to screw with Uncle Bill's (Gates) software because it's locked down (or so most people are led to believe). I guess it's kinda like "cracking the un-crackable safe".

Dunno why MacOS's aren't attacked as much. It may have something to do with variants being based on Linux.

13. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Virus/spyware are designed to hit as many people as possible. Writing them for an operating system that only has a minority of users is therefore not very popular.

Talking about old computers ... I've got one here that is circa early 1980s and still in working condition. It has a green monochrome screen, and requires a 5 1/2 inch disc (the true floppies, lol) to boot up. I think it probably has around 32k memory. There are some games on the discs, too, written in BASIC and PASCAL.

I'm not sure what to do with it. My parents wanted it tossed out in the inorganic waste collection, but I think it's a nice window into the past. They've got a museum of old computers in the university CS department ... I guess I could always ask if they want it.

14. Zinergy

Zinergy Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 22, 2004
    PC EASILY! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.