main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST TLJ "Force Theme swelling"

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Articulate, May 13, 2017.

1. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Each saga episode thus far has used it once:

I - when Anakin leaves his mother
    II - when Anakin heads off to save his mother
    III - when Beru and Owen receive Luke
    IV - when Luke yearns for a better life, staring at the binary sunset
    V - when Luke heads off to save his friends
    VI - when Luke burns Vader's body
    VII - when Rey offers Luke his lightsaber back

What would be a cool situation to use it in TLJ?

Judging by the pattern, it looks like the middle episode uses it when the protagonist defies their instructions in order to save someone they love. Maybe Rey throws Luke's "so much bigger" philosophy in his face and goes off to kill the leaders of the Dark Side? To destroy someone she hates?

2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    It was used a lot more often than once per movie. Just off the top of my head -

- In ANH when Ben finds Luke on Tatooine after he got knocked out by the Tusken Raider.
    - In ANH when Ben describes the Force to Luke. (Watching ANH now btw)
    - In ANH during the medal ceremony at the end.
    - In ESB when Luke is in the cave calling his lightsaber to him so he can escape the Wampa's cave.
    - In TFA when Rey uses the Force to call the lightsaber to her during the fight with Kylo.

Anyways, since it was already used prominently on Rey in TFA, I think Luke oughta be reintroduced through it in TLJ.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  3. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Those are all instances of the theme being used, but there's always that one full orchestral swelling of it in each movie. The throne room is more of a march.

Ridley Solo and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  4. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I realized that's what you meant after I replied. But still, just in ANH it's used quite frequently in the beginning sequence on Tatooine. There's even a full orchestral one when Luke comes upon Owen and Beru's burning corpses and realizes he has no more reason to stay.

In TFA, I always considered the big orchestral Jedi theme to be when Rey calls the lightsaber to her in the fight with Kylo, and that one as being the definitive Jedi introduction moment for her.

But it is an interesting question when we'll get that in TLJ. I still think it should be used for Luke's reintroduction. Maybe the much anticipated moment when Luke fires up his lightsaber. Or when Luke fully decides he is going to train Rey. Like okay...it's on now.

5. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I'm sure we'll hear it with Rey or Luke!

6. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    I think we'll hear it with Rey. I can already picture the moment.

Luke and Rey are in the hut, and she becomes overwhelmed by something Luke tells her. As Rey leaves the hut, her theme begins softly and slowly. She is distraught and wants to be alone. She retreats to the Falcon. She closes her eyes, and as her theme fades with the four-note motif, she hears the rain and waves crashing. The motif returns and builds as she leaves the Falcon and walks toward the water. The music continues to build. She is under cover from the rain for a few moments. Then as she steps out into the rain, the last note plays into the Force theme. The theme swells with this beautiful shot. Rey accepts her call to the Force.

[​IMG]

7. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Another "force theme swells" moment at the end of this scene (1:40 in):

It's a nice piece that never fails to make any scene it's in better.

8. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    What is Force Theme Swells? :) There are versions of the Force Theme. The most swelling version is Burning Homestead used in the scene where Luke finds the bodies of Owen and Beru in ANH and where Rey catches the lightsaber and Kylo reacts in TFA. The swelling in particular plays over the close up of Luke's reaction in ANH and then over the close up of Kylo's reaction in TFA:

1:42 min

[​IMG]

and 0:27 here:

[​IMG]

Interesting.

9. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Let's say Rey leaves Ahch-to without Luke because he's all depressed and doesn't think he should join the fight. And then the force theme swells when shows up at the end fight anyways with his green saber to save everyone's butt and kick someone else's.

10. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I imagine it'll play during critical moments of the story and Luke's teachings. We (thankfully) know so little of the plot that it's kind of hard to guess what the specifics will be.

Ridley Solo likes this.
  11. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    It will be during the 'All hope is lost but here's Rey back from the dead' scene.

12. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016

Good thinking. This is very likely something we'll get in IX, though they could play it in TLJ as well when Rey goes over the cliff.

13. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000

'Suddenly Rey is nowhere to be seen. She’s taken out of the battle; she’s either wounded or appears to go over the side of the cliff.'

Thought about this for a long time. If Rey is presumed dead by Luke and Kylo then there's the possibility that she may well return to turn the tide later in the story.

14. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Agreed. I could even see a scenario where she emerges on the back of the sea monster or just makes some crazy jump out of the sea.

11-4D, Revanfan1 and Darth_Articulate like this.
  15. Darth Ewok

Darth Ewok Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2016
    Maybe something where Luke comes out of his funk. Something will have to bring him out of it. Watching Rey train or something like that

Ridley Solo and Darth_Articulate like this.
  16. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Rey Targaryen confirmed?

Tommytom and Darth_Articulate like this.
  17. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    shouldn't this be the opposite? I mean normally the old wise mentor appears again to save his student and not the student to save her master? [face_dunno]

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  18. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000

Switcheroo. Rey is the avenging angel now.

19. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I once had a case of "force theme swelling," but I just applied some ointment, and it went away.
    TMI?

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  20. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Gigoran Monk

Fits in with Kylo Snow, ST's first GoT homage

[​IMG][​IMG]

;)

21. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

22. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Krennic =D=

23. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Perhaps when Rey defies Luke's notion that the Jedi must "end". Luke has lost his faith in the Order and doesn't want Rey to become one, so Rey goes away to do some lightsaber swinging and other Jedi activities anyway. Would fit in with the previous themes displayed in the other middle episodes.

24. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    it would have to have something to do with rey on her force journey. i haven't analyzed the force theme or listened carefully to every appearance of it so i don't know if i would come to the same conclusions as the OP, but assuming that i would... the OP shows that it follows the protagonist and crucial events/choices on the protagonist's journey.

of course it doesn't only have to be about the protagonist. it playing for luke burning vader's body really is about both of them.

one could argue the two most important moments on rey's journey were claiming the lightsaber (choosing her destiny, no more running away) and when she finds luke. so what will be the most important things rey does in TLJ?

- reveal of what happened between her and her family? (foreshadowing to this in TFA when rey had to face her family isn't coming back, like the burning homestead moment)
    - if rey skywalker, reveal that luke is her father?
    - as the climax of the film approaches, driven along by rey having to make an important choice?
    - another confrontation between kylo and rey in which their dynamic changes and changes things moving forward?

25. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Most important moment was when Rey read Kylo's mind, cause that's the first time she consciously used the Force as in "I know how to do this". Without that, there wouldn't be "claiming the lightsaber" moment.