main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST TLJ nominated for 4 oscars

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by chris hayes, Jan 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Alec Guinness

Ian McDiarmid deserved one for Rots, imo

DBPirate and Jamtia like this.
  2. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I feel like SW in general gets blacklisted just because of the popularity of it in the actors case.

DBPirate likes this.
  3. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    This is what I would've liked to see:

"And the nominees are......Mark Hamill, Star Wars Episode eight, The Last Jedi"

Edit: no bootlegged material allowed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2018
    T-R- likes this.
  4. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The Last Jedi definitely deserved to be up for cinematography as well.

With the huge critic scores it received, it should’ve been up for best picture, but sadly Oscar judges don’t like pop culture films to be in that category. Surely it was a better film than some of those nominees.

Ricardo Funes and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    There were already 2 "genre" pictures up for Best Picture, Shape of Water and Get Out. Probably too much for the Academy already. But frankly the empty 10th slot should have been filled by Last Jedi or Blade Runner 2049 or Logan. Or bounce 3 others and put those in.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Gak! Double post. Uhm, the last jedi wuz robbed!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  7. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    Maybe come 2019, the way the Academy will think better suits films like Star Wars and maybe Episode IX will be the one getting the many nominations and a few wins ( since it's the last one in the entire saga, and I think Disney/Lucasfilm will be going all out to focus their efforts on it and the Academy would recognise Episode IX more ).

8. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    While I'm certainly happy for the people involved in categories who were nominated, by this time out this isn't our first rodeo. Everyone knows the Academy picks the most obscure and usually in my opinion the worst movies of the year to nominate for major categories. For me, literally the 3 worst movies I saw all year were Phantom Thread, Lady Bird, and Call Me By Your Name, all of which I gave 0 stars. The next worst was Three Billboards, which is 1 star, not much better. And The Shape of Water was a C- film for me, yet it cleans up at the nominations even in categories that barely apply. This is an annual tradition, "What are the worst movies that came out last year? Cool, let's nominate them all for everything."

And if Star Wars is a slam dunk in any category, count your blessings if it even gets nominated. There was literally a whole 200-300 page book some of us own on The Phantom Menace's costume design, and even publications that were negative on the film the whole time like Entertainment Weekly thought it was a slam dunk nomination, but of course not. It's apparently not impressive to design 12 dresses for one character from scratch, with one of the dresses even having sophisticated electronics and costing $60,000, because of course we should all know that it's much harder to make a period piece where you just pull up some pictures from the era and duplicate those. The Oscars prove themselves to be a joke every year without exception, why should this year magically be any different?

But yeah, ok, those 9 movies were totally all better than Blade Runner 2049 and The Last Jedi. Did anyone else try to watch Phantom Thread?! I mean my god it's like watching grass grow. It makes Lady Bird -- a film so boring I wanted to go clean the house instead -- look like Star Wars by comparison. I think there's a general Oscar rule that if it doesn't put you to sleep, it probably won't be deserving of any awards. Amidst the usual horrible selections at least there are some very good ones like Get Out, The Post, and The Darkest Hour, but I won't be holding my breath for any of them to win anything. I'm sure I'll have to celebrate Shape of Water winning a bunch of things because, hey, a C- movie winning awards is better than the alternative -- the F movies they nominated.

9. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I read somewhere that no film nominated for Best Picture was in the top 15 Box Office of the year.

Then people wonder why there is such disconnect from Hollywood and the bulk of moviegoers.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  10. dragonchic

dragonchic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2015
    @Bowen Literally every movie you're complaining about has a higher Metacritic score than TLJ so uh, maybe it's just that those kinds of movies aren't to your taste and not some conspiracy on the part of Academy voters to nominate the "worst" movies?

@Ricardo Funes Dunkirk was #14 and got a nom. But generally it's not unusual for mainstream audiences and critics (or industry insiders, in the case of the Academy) to disagree when evaluating art. Best-selling books don't usually win the most prestigious literary prizes, for example. There is a definite bias against genre films outside the tech awards though (superheroes, scifi, maybe fantasy even though ROTK cleaned up).

Yep this is my thinking as well. The sound in Dunkirk was phenomenal and I don't see anything beating Apes in vfx. Score is probably TLJ's best shot. Williams didn't win for TFA and he's close to retirement, so I wouldn't be surprised if he gets some votes as some sort of combined TFA/TLJ award (I mean, Rey's Theme holds up against anything else in the saga IMO).

11. Dame sans merci

Dame sans merci Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2016
    I think this must be wrong given the box office success of Dunkirk...

12. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Dunkirk is 18th place Worldwide.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=2017&p=.htm

@dragonchic I guess the article I read was talking about woldwide then.

13. Dame sans merci

Jan 17, 2016
    Oh, my mistake. I looked at the US chart.

Looking at that list, it's entirely understandable why the top 15 didn't get best picture nominations (and I say that someone who loved 'Thor Ragnarok' and 'Wonderwoman'!). They're...not very good films.

14. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  15. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    The problem is that what the audiences consider good is not what the Academy considers good.

This is where the disconnect exists.

Nobody is forcing audiences to watch the top 15, but they have voted with their money that they like those movies better.

The Academy should create a new category for Best Blockbuster, to help close this disconnect.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  16. Maylander

Maylander Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 27, 2016
    Seems like it's competing against BR2049 in 3 out of 4 categories. Even though I'm a much bigger SW than BR fan, I'd still give them to BR. I was deeply impressed by the use of sound and visuals in that movie.

As for "original score", it's up against Zimmer, who generally nails it, but I haven't seen Dunkirk so I wouldn't know. Williams might get one there. That'd be nice.

T-R- likes this.
  17. Dame sans merci

Jan 17, 2016
    The Dunkirk score is very effective, but it's something of an acquired taste! It's pretty unusual in that a lot of it is ticking or droning, so it's certainly not a pleasant listen in the same way as the TLJ score. Great at building intensity though.

18. Maylander

Apr 27, 2016
    Oh, so it's not the usual "big, epic score" style that Zimmer tends to use?

19. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    Agreed with the points above that Best Original Score is our best shot due to the great John Williams. Will he finally receive his 6th Oscar award? We'll see in March! However, I want him to win in 2020 too for Episode IX. :)

Maylander likes this.
  20. Dame sans merci

Jan 17, 2016
    Definitely not! Aside from the nod to Elgar for the emotional tiny-boats-come-to-the-rescue moment, it's more about creating something tense and immersive. I really admire the boldness of what Zimmer did, but i'd think something like Desplat's work for 'The shape of water' would be far more of a vote winner - it's very beautiful and whimsical.

Maylander likes this.
  21. Maylander

Apr 27, 2016
    Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

Also, good luck John Williams!

22. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    By the way, "With 51 Academy Award nominations, Williams is the second most-nominated individual, after Walt Disney" =D=
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams

Also, here's the track record of SW at the Oscars:

[​IMG]

Rogue One received 2 nominations for no wins.
    TLJ 4 nominations. Results pending.

dragonchic likes this.
  23. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    So "The Imperial March" did not win best original score?

Absurd.

24. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Hard for sequels to win bcs their soundtrack contains a lot of re-used themes. Impressive just to get nominated, as with both ST movies.

25. dragonchic

dragonchic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2015
    The prequels not even being nominated for score was also a huge oversight IMO. That's why I wonder if Williams might get a kind of "make-up" award for TLJ or IX. Of course he has won plenty so maybe not.

@Darth Downunder Thanks for posting the chart! RO would have had a great shot at Visual Effects if it didn't have the misfortune of going up against The Jungle Book.

T-R- and Darth Downunder like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.