main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST TLJ nominated for 4 oscars

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by chris hayes, Jan 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    The Shape of Water, Alexandre Desplat has won Best Original Music.

It's okay folks, let's hope for 2020 as the team behind Episode IX can do their very best in each and every single field to be truly deserving. :) Congratulations to The Last Jedi team and everyone who has won!

2. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    In my opinion, for visual effects Apes was more impressive that Blade Runner.

In the end, all great movies, and 4 nominations is a great achivement as well, especially in such competitive field.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  3. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    What do you know a show with Harrison Ford (known worldwide as Han Solo) won the Oscar for special effects.:p

MJ

4. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Great recognition to be named among the best movies of the year in 4 categories.

5. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Excellent point! This cannot be taken away from TLJ. ^:)^:)

MJ

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  6. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    The drought continues though. No Oscar wins since RotJ. SW Oscars history:

ANH: 10 nominations, 7 wins
    ESB: 3, 2
    RotJ: 4, 1

TPM: 3 nominations
    AotC: 1
    RotS: 1
    TFA: 5
    R1: 2
    TLJ: 3

At least there's been more nominations of late.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  7. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Didn't see Star Wars winning anything this year.

Blade Runner and Shape of Water so very much deserved their Oscars though.

The big Star Wars win was for Mark Hamill, for Best Career Comeback.

Ricardo Funes, Akane and oncafar like this.
  8. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Best Teat Suckling

9. n8storm

n8storm Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2005
    They were just minor nominations, anyways. The academy did expand best picture to up to 10 films, so more commercial films could get nominated for the biggest prize.
    I like Mark, but I wouldn't call it a career comeback unless he can get cast in some major roles in non-Star Wars films.

10. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I had a hunch TLJ would end up with no wins when Mark, Oscar, and Kelly presented together (with BB-8 to boot), like that was the Star Wars moment for the night. I don't want to read too much into it, but it's sad to be left wondering. On the other hand, it was great to see them all, and having a character on stage at the Oscars is a cool distinction.

11. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    (Star Wars doesn't need Oscars)

Ricardo Funes, Satipo and oncafar like this.
  12. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Best picture of the Oscar night for me:
    [​IMG]
    She should have played someone else than Maz.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  13. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    She still can.

Ricardo Funes and jaqen like this.
  14. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I’d be concerned if Star Wars started winning Oscars, I may have to take them seriously but they make it so easy every year to laugh at the whole organization. I think everyone knows it’s a total joke but it’s also such a big show that it gives a false sense of legitimacy that isn’t deserved. If you look through Oscar history they’re littered with what can only be described as head scratching decisions, like John Ford winning a number of Best Director Oscars for mostly boring movies yet not being recognized for The Searchers, easily his best film.

Blade Runner 2049 is gorgeous and also a masterpiece of a movie but frankly it has the least impressive visual effects of all nominated films. There’s very little action in the movie (and doesn’t need to be), so what creates that wonderful atmosphere I adore so much (and saw it twice in IMAX) is fantastic cinematography and production design. The effects are great but maybe they thought Ana De Armas was a visual effect? No sorry guys she really is that gorgeous, not an effect! Lol.

Shape of Water is basically what I had to hope realistically would win BP because while it’s not at all a good movie, it’s literally about a woman doing the naughty with a sea creature (ask yourself if they would have even been nominated if it didn’t have that grossness), it’s also at least competently made. From great production design to fantastic cinematography, Shape of Water makes up for its F level plot with A level craft and comes out around a C-. More than can be said of Lady Bird which was thankfully shut out for being completely pointless and inane, truly among the worst movies in years including video on demand and local film festivals, or nonsense like Call Me By Your Name that’s like watching grass grow only slower. Or the pointless but sometimes amusing Three Billboards which while still a lousy movie at least had some decent performances and a laugh or two.

Sadly we’re at the point for the Academy where you’re better off just grabbing a list of the 10 highest grossing movies of the year than you are their nominations lists. Sure you’d miss out on a great movie like Blade Runner if you only saw the 10 biggest films, but you’d miss it if you only saw the Oscar nominees too so it’s a moot point. And best of all you’d skip seeing quite literally the 3 worst movies of the year that inexplicably the Academy calls the best. Life must be so magical and fascinating for people who can find entertainment value or any value in such utterly pointless nonsense.

15. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    I don't know. Remember Me is rightfully a masterpiece song and the movies in questions were all critically acclaimed by critics, something that TLJ shared. Let's not try be selective on when a critic's opinion matter.

For me, Dunkirk was entertaining and intense with rather clever foreshadowing and flashback between the three stories and how they are connected. And Get Out is popular with the audience due to its originality so I'm not surprised it won Best Screenplay. And Bladerunner is a movie where having the best visual effects do matter. The only way for Star Wars to compete is to feature Coruscant or an even larger space battle.

dragonchic likes this.
  16. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    If Mark retired today it would be on the back of a huge hit, with the best reviews of his film career, with the most publicity he's gotten in over 30 years.

That's a comeback in my book.

Having said that, I do hope this exposure leads to more high profile, better paid work.

17. Darth Vain

Darth Vain Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2016
    Well that was another thing pinched from another movie. Crait and Canto Bight weren't anything new - AHC-To looked really good but at times it was like watching a nature documentary. A space battle is a space battle.The most arresting scenes were things some of us hated, the milk drinking and Lukes death.

18. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I don't expect a Star Wars film to win an Oscar again for a long time. As it's been said, ROTJ was the last Star Wars film to win an Oscar. It would be nice for the franchise to win Oscars again, but it's not the biggest deal.

19. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    IMO it was very disappointing that they did not got an award for RO for visual effects

Darth Dnej likes this.
  20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Another year, another Academy Awards without a Star Wars win. Oh well. There's always next year.

Locking.

jaqen, Darth Chiznuk and EHT like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.