main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST TLJ Trailers and TV Spots Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Nipuhanipera, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    You don't think that depends on her function in the story?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Wait, wasn't it confirmed thet Leia WON'T be in Episode 9 now? In which case I don't know how they avoid killing her off :(

I have the distinct feeling that Leia will ultimately be shafted in the ST, and solely due to Carrie's untimely passing, not any negligence on Lucasfilm's part. I felt that there was a nice symmetry in the ST with Han getting 7, Luke getting 8, and Leia getting 9. What/who will take her place? And how will the trilogy end without Kylo facing his mother or father? That, especially if Rey is not related to a legacy character, would seem an ill fit with Star Wars theme of family, unless Lucasfilm is moving toward a less literal meaning of "family."

3. Dareth

Dareth Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2015

For me they don't HAVE to kill her off, But she needs closure of sorts, that be death, or in some other form. However name me one way that would be IN character for Leia to do if there is still conflict which includes her son, brother and many other's she cares about. And coma won't work, lame lame lame.. But I am all up for some idea's. And someone else playing Leia..... That is like ....No just no.

BlurryUFOs and Ricardo Funes like this.
  4. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Lando could take Leia's place in Episode 9.
    Lando: "You killed my friend, you young whippersnapper. That's not cool. I don't like things that aren't cool."

Granted, it's not quite as emotional as it would have been with Leia.

BlurryUFOs likes this.
  5. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    Where??!? I know it was confirmed that CARRIE won't be in Ep 9, but nothing about the character of Leia.

I don't get this. We've had two actors playing Obi-Wan and three actors playing Anakin. Whyyy are people appalled by the idea of another actress playing Leia??

laurethiel1138 likes this.
  6. Agent Fulcrum

Agent Fulcrum Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2017
    going tomorrow to see that I am hoping we do!

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Because in both of those instances the characters were much younger than they were when played by their original actors. Carrie has portrayed the character at the same age she will be in Episode IX. If it happens it happens but I really hope they won't recast.

8. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    Yeah, I don't think either that there's anything in KK words to read into. Todd Fisher said Carrie would be in IX and there's no reason why KK would phrase it as "Leia" when directly refuting Fisher's original statement. They made a point that Carrie is Leia and Leia is Carrie and that they won't use CGI. So this is really a case of "Carrie will be in IX" "Carrie won't be in IX" (symmetric debunk if you will) than hinting that we'll see Not!Carrie version of Leia.

9. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't see how age makes any significant difference. Provided she's good in the role, we'd be able to suspend our disbelief just as easily whether the third Leia actress is twenty years older or one year older than the first.

Agreed. There's no indication either way whether or not we'll see a ~Carrie Leia in IX

10. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Replacing Carrie as Leia for IX would be flat-out jarring and weird. And like, I'm not someone who generally has a problem with re-casting. I'm fine with Ehrenreich and Glover playing Han and Lando. I really like McGregor's Obi-Wan. I'd honestly be down for a Princess Leia standalone film where she's, like, fifteen years old or something. I would not be okay with Fisher playing Leia in Episodes IV-VIII, and then someone takes over the role for her sendoff in IX.

11. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    Why?

12. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    If they have to go that route for IX, so be it, but I feel that Carrie "owns" the role in both the OT and the ST

13. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    This. It's like... as an example, I know what Han Solo looks like at the age he is during Episodes IV-VI. I know what he looks like thirty years later in VII. I don't know what he looked like ten years before IV, so I'm comfortable with someone other than Ford depicting him at such an age. With Leia, we know what she looks like in IV-VIII, and she looks like Carrie Fisher. For her to suddenly look like someone else because she's played by someone else, in a film that will likely take place shortly after VIII (if not immediately after, a la VII-VIII), that's just jarring for me, and I suspect it would be for a great many people.

EHT and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  14. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I'd even be fine with a spinoff film set during the OT with someone else playing Leia, TBH.

Strongbow likes this.
  15. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    I suspect if that actually happens, it will be far less jarring than you think. Or at least should be. The only way I can make sense of this reluctance is to consider it a basic human discomfort with change, which only lasts while the change is new. But movies last forever. If the replacement is good in the role, all this reluctance will wash away and the film will remain as classic or non-classic as it would if Fisher was doing it. It's the first day of school, and you don't know if you'll like your new teacher, your new classmates, your new school clothes. I get it. But I guarantee the bulk of the "jarring" feeling would exist in the pre-screening reactions to the news of a new actress and not in the screening itself.

16. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm fine with change, but rather than showing up to school and having a new teacher, it'd be more like I wake up one morning and my mom, who's looked like the same person for as long as I've known her and aged as I would expect, is suddenly someone else, but I'm supposed to act like this person is in fact the same person I've known my whole life.

17. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Yeah, Princess Leia is not just any character and Carrie Fisher was not just any actress. I'd prefer they not recast the role for the ST.

18. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    That analogy fails because it's a situation that literally and physically has never happened. People's mothers always stay the same person. Carrie Fisher as Leia does not have the same kind of relationship to ANY Star Wars fan (with the exception of Billie Lord if she is indeed a Star Wars fan) as a mother does to a child. The similar feelings it might engender are abstracted from those real relationships and are appropriately transferable. The actor is only one of a team of artists which bring a character to life. Leia has had several writers, and her dialogue and actions are just as essential a part of who the character is as is the voice and physical appearance of the actress who portrays her. Costume design, lighting, editing, direction, cinematography, etc all contribute to create the character of Leia as much as the late Ms Fisher, because in the end, the character is an illusion in your mind. And all those artists have changed as well. 10 bucks says if this happens, the bulk of the audience will not find it jarring.

19. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    I thought the CGI of Leia in Rogue One was actually pretty good.

Not sure it could be done that well for an entire length feature film but who knows.

20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  21. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    not mine but amazing! give em some love.

22. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Man I can't wait until December 15th!

BB-8 My Homework and Classified8 like this.
  23. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2016
    [face_laugh]

24. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I want to play that on my AMIGA NOW!

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  25. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

did new info come out Last I heard Disney said they are not recasting or using a CGI Carrie Fisher?

I have to say This Trailer Is like a fine wine It just gets better with age that being said I am ready for the next Trailer, Hopefully In the summer!