main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST TLJ will make TFA be looked at much differently.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by tokilamockingbrd, Dec 12, 2017.

1. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    We have been analyzing TFA in a vacuum for 2 years now. Part 1 of a 3 part set.

I am confident that watching TFA AFTER TLJ will alter my view of that movie forever. Those parts that required suspension of disbelief will have context. We will know more about the characters themselves.

This happened with the OT. The 3 movies synergized so well it made each on better by being a part of the whole. I believe the same is happing here.

2. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016

Agreed. I may view it as less of a rehash, and more of its own thing when connected to this trilogy. Wonder if this movie will make TFA better or worse.

3. prlrocks

prlrocks Jedi Master star 2

Jun 15, 2009
    I think it is going to knock TFA at least 2 down on the list for me. It and Rogue One were always the middle of the pack for me (4 or 5ish) and I think Rogue One just pulled ahead. I also seriously can't justify putting it above ROTJ any more given the fact that ROTJ has the themes I love best about Star Wars and it is now clear that TFA doesn't. They are going in a different direction there.

OriForce and Shadao like this.
  4. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    uh.....this really sucks, but after the TLJ, I don't see TFA as anything but its on thing. Completely separate from any other film.

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  5. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    Not trying to rush to judgment, but from the sound of the leaks, it almost feels like TFA will be totally meaningless to me after watching TLJ. Or TLJ could be totally meaningless...choose which one you want to "disregard." It sounds like they almost don't connect or work with each other since it appears TLJ throws away so much and creates so many new, crazy ideas.

6. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    No reason to see VII again. And honestly, when seeing a new movie that spits on the entire previous movie build ups I wonder why we analyze and discuss anything at all.

7. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah it sounds like all TLJ will do is make me dislike TFA more. But for quality reasons, but just because a lot of it feels meaningless now.

I could say the same about ROTJ as well for that matter.

ChildOfWinds and Master_Lok like this.
  8. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Well, it certainly cannot make me dislike TFA more than I already do. :p

Seeker Of The Whills and Shadao like this.
  9. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Now imagine if Poe was kept involved instead of assumed killed?
    He recognises the Falcon calls in Han once they escape and Han takes them to Takodana using a Resistance freighter carrying supplies and troops secretly like the smuggler he is!
    Kylo raids Takodana knowing that's where his father would go.
    Leia leaves Hosnian Prime in response to Han's message narrowly avoiding the capital's destruction as Starkiller Base turns up we see her reaction to the new superweapon as her ship escapes into hyperspace before the First Order locates her.
    Kylo captures Rey chased by Han, Chewie & Finn in the Falcon whilst Poe leads a force of Resistance fighter along with Pirates & Smugglers at Maz's Castle demonstrating why you don't knock a hornet's nest.
    SKB turns up with Kylo's ship forced to crashland by the Falcon.
    Finn knows they need to disable the shield before they can leave but Rey escapes by herself.
    Rest of the movie keep as is but don't blow up SKB!
    End of the movie should reveal Snoke blew up the capital to allow his dupes to usurp power and blame the Resistance for the attack.

TLJ should start revealing Snoke tricked Ben to carry a tracking beacon to Luke's Academy so a New Republic strike force could raze it intending for only Kylo to survive so he gets the blame completing his fall to the darkside cementing his wrath against the New Republic for what they did.
    Luke along with others survived but he keeps them hidden as he warns Leia then goes into hiding as Snoke realises he survived.
    Snoke is a former Inquisitor so had both darkside and Jedi training, by quirk of fate he ended up surviving and usurped power during the Empire fleeing into the Unknown Regions using Palpatine's remaining artefacts to restore himself as well as rebuild his reputation as a fantastically wealthy introvert using his developed contacts to begin corrupting Ben.
    Luke's survival naturally scared him.
    Since the NR supplied the Resistance ships they can track them, Finn & Rose head to Canto Blight to find someone who can disable that tracking system.
    They meet DJ who initially seems to be a Fixer, he seems to betray them but turns out to be one of the Knights of Ren and he captured them to draw Rey out.
    Phasma tried to seize Finn but DJ stops her, it's now we learn DJ is a former Jedi Padawan who Snoke corrupted after capturing his wife and daughter.
    DJ subsequently frees them revealing he knew Finn's father whilst they're naturally disbelieving until they realise the whole ruse was to get EZRA where he could get them the means to shut down the tracking system.
    Rey is drawn out of hiding by Kylo sending her dreams about Finn being tortured.
    Luke isn't fooled though he can't openly aid her he lets her go after advising her since the Empire did the same to him.
    Unknown to Rey, Luke calls in help from a Mon Calamari colony who give him a lift to Crait sensing Leia's presence there.
    Luke confronts Kylo on Crait, Leia prevents him killing his fallen apprentice who flees aware he can't beat his Uncle.
    Meanwhile Finn & co escape from the Supremacy disabling it's shields allowing Holdo to ram the ship causing enough damage for Snoke to flee.
    Rey recognises an unmasked Phasma as the woman who dumped her on Jakku it's only Rey's interference that prevents Finn from killing Phasma and another shock when Phasma identifies Ezra by full name with the former Rebel openly identifying Finn as Zare's son.
    Snoke berates Kylo over his failure, Kylo noting the apparatus keeping Snoke alive deliberately kills Snoke and uses the stored power to empower himself killing Snoke's Guards essentially usurping Snoke's place as Supreme Leader.

Luke leaves promptly making it clear there are other Jedi out there but as long as the NR are targeting them they need to remain in hiding.
    Ezra mentions there's another Jedi Master out there who could finish Rey's training and we leave the movie there making it clear it's far from over a good reason why Luke can't get involved and more information on what's really going on!

Nah just needed to get that off my chest!
    Apologies hope it didn't annoy too much!

MrElculver2424 likes this.
  10. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    TLJ is way way better than TFA - I've just watched TLJ & you'll see , anyone who says TFA is better than TLJ is plain insane......

11. SomethinSomethinDarkSide

SomethinSomethinDarkSide Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 19, 2013
    Another major problem with TLJ is that it lacks proper world-building. One could overlook that in TFA but I think we all assumed that the state of the galaxy would be expanded on in this film. Who is Snoke? What is his motivation and backstory? How did the First Order become so powerful etc? But instead we get nothing. In the opening crawl it is basically said that the First Order has almost taken over the whole a galaxy. Already? How? With what kind of resources? Surely they can't be bigger than the bloody Empire? It makes no sense.

Even the ending of TFA no longer makes sense. You wanna tell me that they took the time on D'Qar to send off Rey when the First Order had the resources to launch an imminent attack to wipe them all out? I'm sorry but there is no thought put into TLJ.

12. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I love TFA. It will be interesting to see how TLJ may or may not change how I view it. On a side note, the bashing of TFA as a rehash of ANH is lazy. If any of the films was a rehash of ANH, it's TPM.

13. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I feared that building on TFA was like quicksand and from various accounts it's far worse than that.

It simply makes no sense at all that immediately after TFA (like minutes) that the First Order is in charge of hundreds of thousands of systems and milions of planets with no Republic to take over or SB.

Sounds like nonsense.

11-4D, Shadao, ChildOfWinds and 2 others like this.
  14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Regardless of how I feel about The Last Jedi, it won't make me reevaluate the quality of The Force Awakens. The film itself is set in stone, and I love it as is regardless of what comes next, the same way that I would still love A New Hope even if I didn't like TESB or RotJ. However, I think it's impossible not to look at certain characters or plot lines in a different light, but that's just par the course. Each one of these films recontextualizes the previous ones in some way. I'm curious as to whether the "TFA is a rehash of ANH" argument becomes more or less prevalent given how different TLJ sounds.

EHT and ThreeDeathstickProblem like this.
  15. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Lol, what? TPM is more of a rehash of ANH than TFA was? This is the first I've ever heard this. On the other hand, TFA has been criticized for it relentlessly. Hmm.

ChefCurryWindu likes this.
  16. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Yup. I view TPM as ANH rehash and TFA as a remix of the OT. I love all three films dearly, though.

KembaSkywalker likes this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just like DNT nixing the NJO series, LOTF nixing parts of DNT, FOTJ nixing parts of LOTF in the EU.

Status quo of SW.

Just going to find a Stormpilot, Finnrey or Jedistormpilot fan-fic and follow it.

Probably will enjoy both entries on their own merits and hope TLJ helps TFA. but no sweat off my back.

18. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Disney IMHO is definitely trying to Marvelize the SW universe as each Marvel film really stands independent then the other even within the same series. But the films still have an end go and a direction they are going. I think Lucasfilm really needs to grab a hold of the franchise now and give it more direction going forward. I think having JJ come back to direct Episode IX will help with that and letting Rian do the entire next trilogy.

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Hope that E9 wraps everything up and make sense.

20. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Lol, TLJ made TFA look even worse. In fact now TFA looks like JUST the wheelchair for the few new characters. Everything else in it (story, backstory, background, lore, side characters) was buried by TLJ.

21. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    I've said this before on another forum and I'll say it again here:

Judging from what I've seen, my opinions on TFA will go downhill.

Hopeless and ChildOfWinds like this.
  22. Gemlake

Gemlake Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 9, 2015
    I think the argument that TFA "played it safe" is especially ridiculous now that we know for certain that Rey is random. (JJ told Daisy about Rey's parents during the filming of TFA, so we know Rian didn't change anything). With Rey being random, the decision to have Kylo kill Han means that Episode IX must either redeem someone who committed patricide or end the Skywalker line.

titansupes likes this.
  23. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  24. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Actually, that ending shot has bothered me for 2 years. They're "sending off" Rey, yet the entire crew of the base is there, all in full pilot gear and battle uniforms. It bothered me. Do the pilots stay in flight gear and carry around their helmets all the time? Why was EVERYONE outside waving goodbye to Rey, who they hardly knew?

Makes more sense now when you realize they were all outside and geared up preparing for the evacuation and just paused to see off the ship and crew that was going to hopefully bring back Luke Skywalker.

Hopeless likes this.
  25. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Well, since it's already been stated that Episode IX ends the Skywalker trilogies, there's your answer