main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT tmz: Jake Lloyd diagnosed with schitzophrenia

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by NotSoScruffyLooking, Apr 10, 2016.

1. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    Jake Lloyd has been moved from a jail to a hospital and diagnosedvwith schitzophrenia, according to tmz.

2. Sithblade11

Sithblade11 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 12, 2013
    Feel for him, not sure how true reports are of him blaming Lucas for his troubles are. But weren't his parents the ones who pushed him into the film industry?

His mug shot.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

3. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    TMZ, remember got the scoop of the ST months before it was even announced! Anyone else remember that?
    They surprised George as he got into his car and asked if there would be any more films, his reply was No, Absolutely Not. This was February 2012 so it was actually in the works!

*Also Poor Jake Lloyd, Dare I say his acting wasn't a problem in TPM.

4. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    He was an Amazing Anakin, never got what the haters had against him, his performance in TPM was perfect I would not change a thing honestly.

DBPirate, Deliveranze, xezene and 5 others like this.
  5. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    Anyone in the press or media associating someone's schizophrenia with Lucas would be an ignorant fool looking to win the race to the bottom for an anti-Lucas story. Even if the guy blames Star Wars in some way, if he really has schizophrenia all kinds of thoughts will be entering his head.

If it is actually more of a psychotic episode brought on by stress - if his life events have really played a part in bringing it on, then, well maybe the absurd toxic negativity surrounding a child actor will be bought into sharp relief.

Somehow I don't see any sympathy arising from this, just more absurdest blame directed at the man who raped childhoods.

Best wishes dude - schizophrenia is the most frightening thing to see - now would be the time to offer some goodwill for a change.

6. astronaut23

astronaut23 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 9, 2005
    Really sad that he actually had a real life fall to the dark side and getting in trouble with the law. I've always loved him playing little 10 year old Anakin in TPM.

7. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
  8. AshiusX

AshiusX Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 7, 2016
    I always liked Anakin in TPM. He was just a simple kid who wanted to helps his friends and family. And wanted a better life to make the world a better place. People who needlessly mock the character come off bit a mean-spirited and unlikable from my experience. Of course, you could argue having really young kid doesn't work for on narrative level. But that is different. I could see people why not liking Anakin in AOTC and ROTS, since frankly he was a bit of 'jerk'' in those movies. But the amount of vitriol towards Anakin in TPM seems uncalled for.

It is sad to see what happens to Jake Lloyd.

Zikri, Ezon Pin and Cryogenic like this.
  9. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    Very sad I hope he gets the help he needs and is able to enjoy the rest of his life somehow. I still till this day can't get over the fact so many grown ass man bullied a kid just because they didn't like his acting. There is a disgusting side to this fandom that I try to ignore. I just hope Jake realizes their are those that loved his contributions to the saga,

10. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I really hope the guy gets the help he needs. It's a shame how he was treated by the fandom and the media after TPM. It really is; how gutless do you have to be to pick on a kid just because you didn't like a movie? No doubt his schizophrenia goes back to some of the torment he went through.

11. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Indeed.

Again, indeed.

But alas, this is already a "race to the bottom".

It was TMZ that first reported on Jake's high-speed pursuit in June last year; or it was another TFN poster, at least, which adduced a TMZ link to reveal that Jake has schizophrenia.

Sad for someone who starred in the most iconic film series of all time -- and then received a ton of hate for it -- to be a few more easy clicks on a "celebrity news" service like TMZ.
    In some twisted quirk of fate, Jake has merely swapped being the ignominious star of one three-letter-acronym construct (each beginning with "t") for another. And now, here we all are, passing comment on it, on another "T"/TLA construct! Is there no end to the grubby banality of life? Must everything be constrained by a crappy pattern?

And yes, Jake having schizophrenia has been in the public domain since last year. What's new, however, is the revelation (at least according to TMZ) that he has spent all that time, since being arrested in June, languishing in jail. What?

A jail is no place for any young person to be, least of all one with the troubled psychology, or neurological problems, that Jake seemingly has. Disgusting and tragic. Was he placed in jail for "his own good"? Could he not be bailed out? Or maybe we don't have all the facts. Well, we certainly don't have all the facts!

That's the other twisted thing about this. Jake is less real, less perceptible in this dim reporting of events than he is playing a fictional character in a space fantasy epic. He's less Anakin, here, more Darth Maul by way of Jar Jar. He might as well be that pitiable "other" who is more cartoon character than flesh-and-sinew human, a "phantom menace" that others can deride, or a shaven-headed, face-painted devilish antagonist who is practically mute; based on the pathetically detail-sparse nature of modern tabloid journalism. Not that we should know more (I don't think we should). Jake and his family need and deserve their privacy. But, as the saying goes, a little knowledge is sometimes more dangerous than no knowledge at all. In this case, the soupcon of knowledge, spat out by a media machine that cares for revenue, first, and the wealth of information, a distant second, isn't so much dangerous as disabling and dignity-stripping.

Thanks to the machinations of media and its all-too-perfect dovetailing with attention-deficient fanboy interest, Jake has turned into a Dickensian character. He might as well be Elan Sleazebaggano: a silly, low-class, rent-a-stooge, who gets his little scene where he is inevitably pacified, the danger to others quickly removed, with the morbid alacrity of the ticking of the second-hand on a watch. A disposable twit, a boob, a selfish twit who rightly got caught; and here come (or did dutifully come) the relentless "podracing" jokes. At least that stage is more or less over: it passed as quickly as it came. Very fast, very dangerous (or very fast, very disabling and dignity-stripping).

I fear for Jake. And I feel for him a bit.

At least he is now where he belongs; or at least not languishing somewhere where he manifestly doesn't.

I hope they're not being medieval with Jake or anyone else. You'd probably rather have been locked up than given "treatment" at a mental health institution fifty years ago.

The key, in life, is rehabilitation and reconciliation, not detraction and punishment.

May the Force be with him.

The force of empathy, kindness, and reason.

And may Jake see better days.

12. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016

Very well said man. =D=

And very emotional too.:_|

13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    if true, i hope he can get help with it. fighting your brain is a losing battle.

14. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

Thank you.

So many energies and impulses went into the writing of that, just now.

I was a bit too effusive, maybe. And I felt a bit guilty about somewhat using Jake's situation to find and render a slightly meandering polemic out of.

But, at the same time, I hope I wasn't too tacky with it. I hope I still drew a line somewhere.

Cases like this bother me. There I go again. Jake is more than a "case". We all are.

I think everyone means well here. I think I mean well. But how quickly the platitudes fly!

I don't know. I think a part of Jake's process must eventually involve making peace with his past: including the fact that he did Star Wars.

This video also reveals that Jake was working on a project before his run-in with the cops last year.

And the interviewer/uploader also notes that he didn't have to give that interview; he was short on time and squeezed the interviewer in.

Hope Jake is able to resume his interests and/or follow his passions in the future! Smart guy, very switched-on, and clearly has a lot to offer.

15. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Yes I feel bad for him, it is strange seeing him as an adult. To quote Padme "He will always be that little boy I knew on Tatooine."

Which makes this all the much sadder for me. :_|

Torib, Prisic Duskleap and Cryogenic like this.
  16. CaptainSuchandSuch

CaptainSuchandSuch Jedi Master star 2

Dec 8, 2015
    I always have to facepalm whenever I read YouTube comments from people blaming Jake Lloyd's bullying and consequential mental health problems on George Lucas. Just seems like a twisted use of victim-blaming. Instead of the people who maliciously harassed him owning up to what they did, they use it as another excuse to hate a filmmaker for not making a couple of fantasy kids movies the way they wanted. It disgusts me thinking about it.

Here's to hoping Jake Lloyd gets well soon. I know severe mental health problems are tough to deal with. I have a friend who still struggles today from childhood bullying.

As an aside comment, I personally thought he was a better actor than the kids in the early Harry Potter movies.

17. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i also don't think bullying makes you schizophrenic.

18. CaptainSuchandSuch

CaptainSuchandSuch Jedi Master star 2

Dec 8, 2015
    Yeah, I agree. I definitely wouldn't say the bullying was the sole precipitation in this. But even before his schizophrenia came out in the press last year, I saw in interviews from years ago that he seemed visibly troubled by the bullying. I wasn't really surprised to learn last year that he had mental health problems. I'm sure the bullying played a role.

Cryogenic and Prisic Duskleap like this.
  19. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

Nice. That's it, isn't it?

Jake is frozen into a fictive image of the past.

It's hard for the fanbase to unsee him as Anakin.

However, I think watching videos of him being interviewed helps. You at least get the hints of an actual human personality -- and a respectable one, too.

It's simpleton logic. And shows a refusal on the part of some to let go of their folly.

George isn't to blame. If blame is to be apportioned, then the fans are. People should at least take a good, hard look at themselves.

And while I just said George isn't to blame, I hope he did what he could to reach out to Jake in intervening years. If you cast someone in a movie as big as Star Wars, you at least have some moral responsibility, in my opinion, to attenuate negative effects. Especially given that Lucas is a four-time parent, Jake was just a kid at the time, and Lucas prides himself on his fatherly qualities.

Bullying is such a thing to live through. Indeed, it's not so much living as quietly dying.

And yes -- the HP kids matured well, but Jake hit it out of the park, in my opinion.

No, it doesn't. At the least, there is no reliable evidence that it does.

Schizophrenia has a genetic basis (as most mental health issues do).

But bullying induces trauma and stress; and trauma and stress factor into many conditions, including the condition that Jake is alleged to have.

People want to absolve themselves of the responsibility to act decently to other human beings (and animals and the planet as a whole). Homosexuality is a choice, schizophrenia is disconnected to bullying, etc.

Yeah, well, uh... not really.

Symbiosis. Living together creatively and compassionately. This is the way beyond crude antagonisms, the way out of the morass, and the path out of darkness.

Exactly the lesson imparted by TPM that people, sadly, have yet to take seriously, let alone put into practice on the world stage.

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Geez, I hope he gets the help he needs. Get better, Jake!

21. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Blessings to Jake and his family.

22. Absolutly Nothing

Absolutly Nothing Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2016
    I wonder if the people who hated Jake and George are even fans at all. A light of hope will shine on those who don't fester on hate.

23. Sith_Kingpin

Sith_Kingpin Jedi Padawan

Feb 4, 2013
    I'm not sure how these revelations being plastered all over the media will help his recovery. Nevertheless, I've felt sorry for him since the 2000s when crazy fans savaged both him and Lucas relentlessly. Personally for me, his performance wasn't the major problem with TPM; those awards go to iffy writing, wooden acting by other cast members and of course Jar-Jar.

24. Absolutly Nothing

Absolutly Nothing Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2016
    Sir I have no idea of what your talking about:confused:[​IMG]

25. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Wishing Jake as safe and speedy recovery. Mental illness is the pits/ :(