main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga TO ABSENT FRIENDS.......(EARLY ANH AU) - A reminder to my readers (12/31/03)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by GunraysLawyer, Jul 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    :D :D Excellent ending! I am looking forward to the sequel! (I hope you include Luke and Han, since I am a BIG Han fan! *hint*)

2. qingauk

qingauk Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    What a lovely ending. His dedication to his friend and how he lost at saving Anakin.. nice job.. sad but lovely.

3. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Great ending! :D

Poor Ivo, having to feel Alderaan's destruction... So unpleasant...

I wonder if Ivo felt Kenobi's passing too? At the very least, I suppose he put two and two together about the Vader killing.

Interesting meditations Ivo has when he's talking to Padme. He feels he's let down his vows to their family -- but once again that was a very different family than the one that now exists. He did what Padme would have wanted in these circumstances, even if he doubts himself on that. And regardless of whether Dorme's vision is really from the Force, it is exactly what Ivo needed to hear. I hope he takes it to heart.

Poor Ivo, feeling that he's failed... I guess he hasn't seen the will of the Force in these events, at least not yet.

Looking forward to the epilogue -- and to the stories to come. ;)

4. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Very interesting ending! I suspected there might be a supernatural twist to all of this and Padmé's spirit might have been associated with the scent of candles and roses. I would imagine she would forgive Ivo given the circumstances. More after the epilogue.

--MissPadme

5. GunraysLawyer

GunraysLawyer Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2003
    Wow, this is the largest number number of repsonses that this story has ever garnered in less than 24 hours, I am impressed at your perserverance and humbled by your words. [face_blush]

Ok, A Quick announcement: I originally wrote two versions of the Epilogue. One has been Beta'd, but I have been doubting my decision to use that one since I made it several days ago. Ergo, I am sending the alternative, longer Epilogue to my beta for review. After that, I'll decide which to use.

The end result of this is that the Epilogue won't be up until Thursday, at best, or more likely Friday or Saturday.

F.Y.I.: I plan to start posting either the Prequel, "Soul of Love and Bravery" or the sequel, "The Great Game" around 10/1...I'll preview which ever one that I write first in this thread 2-3 days prior...Don't worry, I'll PM too.

6. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    Wow Excellent story. Great ending!
    I loved it.

7. NamelessAlien

NamelessAlien Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 25, 1999
    A most excellent story. I liked Ivo very much. Also; I loved the story for its very unique, very different, yet recognizably Star Wars atmosphere.

8. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    I have been thinking....about this

Ok, A Quick announcement: I originally wrote two versions of the Epilogue. One has been Beta'd, but I have been doubting my decision to use that one since I made it several days ago. Ergo, I am sending the alternative, longer Epilogue to my beta for review. After that, I'll decide which to use.

The end result of this is that the Epilogue won't be up until Thursday, at best, or more likely Friday or Saturday.

I hate to look indecisive, but I think that I will just post the original epilogue and leave a possible new one until "To Absent Friends: The Special Edition" to come between the prequel and the sequel...

Replies...

RebelMom-- I have decided that the prequel will come first...It just has too much background info. necessary for a full understanding of the sequel, and a new understanding of this work :) Yes, you'll get to think some more... ;)

Ariss-- Thank you for your kind words and support. Yes, Padme's death has deeply scarred everyone who was close to her, but in different ways: It drove Anakin totally over the edge; It made Ivo promise and do things that he otherwise might not have; It wounded Dorme to the core, as she was afterall a bodyguard as well as an aide, and it has marked the whole GFFA

Darth Breezy-- Thank you for your support and insight. You, more than anyone, convinced me that the nascent idea of a Special Edition (partial rewrite) was a good one to pursue. Also, I thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

EDIT: (Slaps self in forehead) I forgot...HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

Delight-- Thank you for the compliment. I was trying to put forth the idea that despite tragedy, reality forces one to go on, even if one doesn't want to do so. I am reminded of the pre-trial conferences that I had to go to the morning of 9/12/01. No one had their minds in it, but you went through the motions anyway.

Ah, I love it when readers raise questions...depending upon how one views the question it may not be answered until the sequel, which as noted above will be the third work in the series. Ergo, stick with me here. :)

GreatOne--First, the only person I know happy with last Saturday's football results is my sister-in-law who is starting her junior year at the University of Oregon.

Second, the sequel will involve Luke and Han to a large degree. The other reason that it will come second is that I am finding it difficult to write Han effectively. :( I'll have to practice...So, you to, stick with it and it will come...

qingauk--Than you, I am so glad that you enjoyed it...Now, just stick with it and you'll see more reverberations of Anakin/Padme and their lives, love, and deaths.

Darth_Lex-- No, he didn't feel Kenobi's death. I don't necessarily think that he would either. One death, even of a Force sensitive, dozens of light years away, may not be all that noticable against the background 'noise' of life and death in the Force.

Yes, Ivo sees himself as having failed. Yet, the message from Padme is sure to give him some hope. My question for you is where do you think that her prescence went? Hint: It is fairly obvious.

Also, you and MissPadme have hinted around something...The nature of Padme's prescence in this work...The intratextual answer is there is no answer in this work. The prequel will contain far more information on traditional Kalindan views of the Force or as they would say, The Divine Fire, and those sensitive by it, 'Those touched by the hands of the gods.' It may explain some of it.

The Epilogue will come soon.

I hope to see you as often in "Soul of Love and Bravery"

MissPadme--See my reply to Darth Lex for some insight. I will admit that the idea comes from my superstitious Gaelic Irish heritage and my New England upbringing(Lovecraft wrote about New England for a reason).

PATTYB0123-- Than you for your kind words...I hope to see you in the prequel thread.

NamelessAlien--So, another one delur

9. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Here it is, the original (that is planned) Epilogue

Epilogue

Anakin Skywalker, the Lord Darth Vader, stood aboard the Star Destroyer Furious, which had recovered him after the destruction of the Death Star. He was the station's sole survivor. He had been the guest of the amiable and efficient Captain Andrian for some four days at this point. The ship was making for Couruscant under orders from the Admiralty to transport Lord Vader back to the Imperial Center as quickly as possible.

Having been informed that he had a personal and urgent message from Moff Arzhan, the Dark Lord had come to these VIP quarters to receive it. As he punched in his code, the receiver crackled. Then, a blue toned, life size hologram of Ivo Arzhan appeared and began to speak.

?Hello, Anakin. I hope that you are doing well. Captain Andrian assures me that you are in good health and your usual spirits. I have some intelligence for you. It is of a personal variety, and I think that you are likely to be told this on Couruscant when you arrive. I thought that I might tell you first.?

?Attached to this transmission is a coded data file on the pilot who destroyed the Death Star. It includes a holo. The easiest way to say this is directly: his name is Luke Skywalker. As far as can be determined, he is likely your son. He is with the Rebels. Find them, and you?ll find him. Good Luck, Anakin. I trust that you will find him from here.?

?Remember. I have been, am, and will be your friend. As always, if there is any help that I can be, just say so. Goodbye, Anakin.?

As Ivo?s image faded, thoughts ran through the Dark Lord?s mind. I will find him. He and I will end this chaos, and rule the Galaxy as Father and Son.

He then downloaded the data file, and looked upon the somewhat grainy image of a blond haired, blue-eyed boy who greatly resembled a dead woman; a dead woman that the Dark Lord had loved, and still did.

10. Arriss

Arriss Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2002
    Shall I call you Spock?

Echos of, dare I say it, [face_shocked] Star Trek there. ;)

No, Darth! You can?t have him! Not Luke!!!!!

Hmm, Ivo tells Vader about Luke, yet not Leia. Understandably, Vader will find out Luke?s identity via his last name, but I?m even more curious about how Leia is going to be portrayed? <insert thinking icon>

You have me curious about the other epilogue you were teasing, um, talking about. I hope you post it as well!

11. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    Oooohhh. I KNEW I didn't trust that Ivo dude! ;)

12. NamelessAlien

NamelessAlien Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 25, 1999
    What? What are you peeps talking about? Ivo did the only sensible thing! First off, he fulfilled his promise. Well, sort of. Second, it was Luke who managed to pull Vader back, or at least Luke was the catalyst. So, although Ivo realizes he cannot bring his friend back, unwittingly he has done just that - handed Anakin his anchor. Trust da Forsa, guys! [face_blush]

13. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Ooo! Great ending!

Ivo knows he won't be able to conceal the truth about Luke Skywalker, so he makes sure he's the first to tell Vader.

How appropriate that twins allow Ivo to keep his word and yet not keep his word. Now Ivo knows about the same "two hopes" than Yoda does. ;)

And I really liked that this last post was from Vader/Anakin's perspective. It just really fit, somehow. :D

Of course I'll be around for more. :cool:

14. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Good epilogue. Keep me on your PM list. :)

15. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Interesting epilogue...Ivo seems to be the guy with all of the cards in his hands, yet you can't really peg where he belongs on the good guy/bad guy spectrum.

I can't wait to read the prequel and sequel.

--MissPadme

16. Delight

Delight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    Ah.... Ivo. Good move. Doing the one thing that he can do to preserve his friendship with the Dark Lord. What would he have lost if Vader heard the news from less trustworthy types on Coruscant?

17. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    This was wonderful. I'm just sorry that I wasn't around for the whole ride. Loved your OC. Ivo is a complex man with lots of issues..in fact, I still can't decide whether he is a good guy or bad. Loved the epilogue - now he has kept his word (sort of) and Vader is aware of Luke's existance. Very much looking forward to reading the prequel and sequel.

18. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Finally a message to my faithful, kind and valiant(given the occasionally unproofed crud that I've sent her)beta, GEO3--I'll keep the thread up until you return from vacation, and will comment on your response when you make it.

I?m back! I had a great time, of course, but it?s difficult to be away and without internet access when a story you love and have been intimately involved with arrives at its ending.

And what an ending it is ? I found it satisfying and appropriate to the specific scope of this story, and yet it leaves me (and others, I think) CRAVING for more ? more of Ivo, more of Anakin/Vader, and more of your highly original ?insider?s? view of familiar events. I, for one, love being made to think, and that is what attracted me to this story in the first place. The balance between the intellectual and the powerfully emotional is deeply satisfying.

I always thought that Padmé was another actual character in this story ? that her presence was there in the Force ? and I am delighted that in the end, she was revealed to readers. The line, ?If only Padmé hadn?t died?? brought tears to my eyes. I, too, believe that her death will be shown to be pivotal in the terrible events that follow.

I, too, understand Ivo?s reasoning about not having ?given? Leia to Vader. Ivo still loves his friend deeply, but is under no illusions about who he is or what has become of him. I was very moved by Ivo?s insight at the end that, no matter what he does, he cannot save his friend ? it made such sense to me that for all those long years, he had nurtured the hope that he might be able to. And yet I wonder whether he has really given up that hope altogether. When he gave Vader the data on Luke, did Ivo still believe in some part of his heart that finding Anakin?s child would provide Vader a kind of substitute for Padmé, thereby helping Vader to save himself? Did he perceive something about Luke that might have given him ?a new hope??

So many questions. Hence the need for both a prequel and a sequel!

NOTE TO ALL READERS OF THIS STORY: I hope this note is not too late for all who have already commented on this story to see, because I want to announce, wearing my betareader hat, that I now have in hand the prologue and first chapter of the next one. Believe me when I say that it is one you will want to come back for!

19. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Wow, I see the Epilogue drew a huge response.

Brief individual replies:

Arriss-- ASW we already discussed there is a brief parallel between Ivo/Anakin here and Spock/Kirk at the end of Star Trek II. That's because I think that movie to be one of the better ones about friendship and willing sacrifice in the face of disaster ever made. Oh and my readers, if you haven't seen this film, log off and go rent it right now. :)

RebelMom--Of course you'll stay on the ever growing PM list. Next one starts soon.

GreatOne-- Tsk, Tsk! Only a Michigan Fan would think such a thing. :) Seriously though, I appreciate that Ivo's actions are deliberatly ambigious. His reasoning will be explained in "The Great Game". Even then, it'll probably still seem iffy to you. :)

NamelessAlien--To paraphrase Christ, you are very close to the kingdom of understanding Ivo Arzhan. :) ;)

Delight--Very Machivellian thinking. Not sure that you're right. Except to say, wouldn't you tell your friend rather than have a Palpatine tell him?

Darth_Lex--Truth be told, Lex encouraged me to start this ruthlessly. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I'm glad you to realized that it needed to end with Anakin and Ivo, even if teh action began and ended with Ivo and Dorme. See you soon in "Soul of Love and Bravery"(hereinafter, 'SL&B')

MissPadme--Thank you so much oh Pithy one. I seem to have done well with Lawyers.

dianethx--WELCOME!(P.S. READERS GO TO HER CURRENT STORY FOR A FAIR< BALANCED AND EXTREMELY WELL THOUHT OUT OBI-WAN AU) You and MissPadme both touch on Ivo's fundamental ambiguity. He stands outside STAR WARS normal morality continum. He will continue to...That's part of my point, the Jedi view of the universe(Lightside v. Darkside) isn't the only game in town.

GEO3--Here is a woman who once said that she'd stand in line to read a story by me. I am humbled by all your kindness. [face_blush] I'll answer one quetsion: As to Luke...The Force had been showing Ivo a son of Anakin's for 17 years. He and I thought that there was areason for that. Further, more in 'The Great Game'

THANK ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE TAKEN THE TIME TO READ THIS AND COMMENT.

The Prequel will begin either 9/29 or 9/30. I'll PM you all. The preview should be up here on 9/28. I'll PM on that too.

ENJOY

20. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    I am late but I am here. Good epilogue...good final suspense. Waiting for the prequel.

21. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Good Sunday evening(EDT)...

I have been wrestling over how to preview "Soul of Love and Bravery" for you guys...

I won't give you a teaser or a Lexian Trailer...Rather, I'll just tell you that the story takes place in, around, and parrallel to AOTC and some AU inter Episode II-III period. The cast is similar: Ivo, Dorme, Anakin, Obi-Wan(in a larger role), Padme (alive this time), Palpatine, Korva and others. You'll also meet Ge-Harza Arzhan, Ivo's father and the man labelled "The Knight of Hearts," and few other surprise characters...

My real question for you is are you ready for Ivo Arzhan as a self-confident, somewhat arrogant, charming, insecure, and brash 21-22 year old?

See you in a new thread tomorrow A.M.

22. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I'm in! :D

23. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    UP, so any new readers can find it. :)

24. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    A Halloween Up...After all, this is a Ghost Story from acertain Point of View. :)

25. Salem_Patty

Salem_Patty Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2003
    A hug for you GunraysLawyer Patty will be reading your story this weekend. I have her. hehehehe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.