main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

To all of the

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Ben R, Nov 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben R

Ben R Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2000
    To those of you that complained about the way the "new" Emperor looked in the hologram scene of the new Empire Strikes Back DVD, I say check out the picture at the link I provide below...

(Possible Episode 3 Spoiler Warning in the link below)

http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/image.cgi?Image=episode3/newspics/tfn-burgerking_sw-03.jpg

It's a picture of a promotional photo of Episode 3, showing the major characters (from an upcoming Burger King / Lucasfilm Star Wars marketing campaign). You get a real nice shot of the Emperor we all know and love, but from episode 3.

Clearly, the make-up & the shooting of footage for the "hologram" Emperor from the new Empire Strikes Back DVD was shot when Episdoe 3 was being filmed.

Many here on the classic trilogy forum thought that was the case, but complained that it looked nothing like the Return of the Jedi Emperor. That led to worries about the 3rd prequel movie. Clearly, your fears were for nothing. It appears as though the hologram effect made him look weird in Empire. He looks EXCELLENT in the link I provided above!

If you want further proof, check out this next photo from the front of the toy package for the Episode 3 Emperor action figure:

(Again, possible spoiler below if you don't want to see the classic emperor again, yet.)

http://www.thompsonmotorsports.com/ep3emperor.jpg

:D

TLJ Edit: Noble intention, Ben, but looks like it's just another thread on the change. -> Changes Thread

2. DBrennan3333

DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    Ben:

Great links, thanks for the tips....but I disagree with you on the assessment. To me, he doesn't look much like The Emperor from ROTJ at all.

He actually looks a LOT like Skeletor in 'Masters of the Universe' the movie, but not The Emperor.

3. Ben R

Mar 26, 2000

Considering that the actor is 23 or so years older than he was when filming ROTJ, that's a pretty good job of make-up. He's probably 30 or more pounds heavier, his own aging gives him a different shape face on which to apply prosthetics and make-up, there is a different make-up crew, and probably different techniques & materials used today.

Considering all of that, I think it looks GREAT!

And, for episode 3, we're talking 25 or so years before ROTJ in the time-line. So, the fact that he looks different is no big deal to me. I can buy it. 25 years can change anyone's appearance & weight, either way.

4. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    And why are Yoda's fingernails so long? They look like that Indian guy on "Ripley's Believe it or Not."

Maybe it's Lucasfilm's way of copying the popularity of Wolverine from X-Men.

5. Ben R

Mar 26, 2000

Go watch Empire Strikes Back again.

Watch where Yoda says (to Luke), "Luminous beings are we. ...Not this CRUDE MATTER." He grabs Luke's shoulder muscle & shakes it. You clearly see the same fingers with the big nails. Three fingers on the hand. Same thing.

6. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    "He actually looks a LOT like Skeletor in 'Masters of the Universe' the movie"

Oh my god, you're right! I've been tryin to figure out who he was reminding me of...

Masters of the Universe. Now there's a movie that shouldn't have been made. the begining of the end for He-Man.

D_M_S_L

7. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    Great stuff.

8. Angela_Russell

Angela_Russell Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 6, 2004
    He sorta looks like the classic Emperor, but not as decayed. I think he looks good though I'm guessing the reason why is hood and cloak is red is because it will be a cross between Sith and Chancellor during the Mace Windu dual.

Ciao!

9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Something still doesn't look quite right about him. I think it may be the eyes and the way the cloak is resting on the top of his head. Other than that, nice links.

10. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    *still thinks he looks weird*

11. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    DBrennan3333 wrote, "And why are Yoda's fingernails so long?"

Judge him by the size of his fingernails do you?

12. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    It looks the same to me. I was just watching ROTJ the other night, and I was really noticing a lot of detail on the Emperor's face that I hadn't before. It looks just like these other images in ESB and this BK promotional material.

13. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    Go-Mer:

I haven't done an in-depth analysis of the Emperor's face in "Return of the Jedi," but I'll take your word for it that all the same elements are in both faces.

But that doesn't change the fact that it LOOKS DIFFERENT. The same elements might be there, but in the wrong proportions. The same color might be there, but in different tones.

At the end of the day the character just looks a lot different. Period. (Personally, I think he looks less threatening.)

14. brainsushi

brainsushi Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2004
    I have to side with the naysayers. He didn't look good in Empire, and he doesn't look good here. I understand the Ian's own face has changed, meaning that the make-up can't be exactly like it was in ROTJ, but this face just doesn't do it for me.

ROTJ Emperor had a creepy face. This Emperor looks like a man with prosthetics on his face.

15. JediNdaCity

JediNdaCity Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    The difference is back then, this was a 35 year old guy playing an old decayed man and he really looked old. For years after that I thought the guy that played him was in fact an old man. But now it's an old man playing an older man with make-up. That's why it doesn't really work that well. The illusion is destroyed. Plus, you couldn't see him THAT well so there was a mystery element to him. Here, he's in plain sight and you can see EVERYTHING. I think Ian's acting will carry it through though. He doesn't look the best in ESB, but the acting is fantastic and waaay better than watching monkey woman.:)

16. brainsushi

brainsushi Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2004
    Again, I've gotta disagree. Ians acting in ESB was... slow and dull... I can't exactly put my finger on it, but it didn't sit well with me. I much prefer Monkey Woman/Clive Revel

17. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Now I have heard everything.

18. Snaggleass

Snaggleass Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2004
    Cool point! Good Job!

19. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Ben R, great pic by the way. On the comp at work its resolution is sharp. At home on my comp, its down a few notches. Graphics card??

Anyway, the pic looks similar to ROTJ's Emperor and thats cool. But what does that have to do with the Emperor inserted into ESB? He looks like niether.

I think Ian was granted a "eat for free" card at Burger King during the ESB footage.

20. Ben R

Mar 26, 2000

Here's a comparison photo with the ROTJ emperor next to the "new" one (click it to see a big version)...

http://img108.exs.cx/img108/5553/palps.jpg

Here's a darkened version of the "new" one. Here's how it will look if he's in similar, darker lighting like he was in the ROTJ throne room. It's also LARGER & you can see his yellow eyes. (again, click it):

http://img87.exs.cx/img87/9773/Palp2.jpg

21. Emos-Edud

Emos-Edud Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    The Emperor could have thinned out over the years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.