main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph To Boldly Trek Where Many Geeks Have Gone Before- VOY: Drive, Repression & Imperfection

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jun 25, 2006.

1. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    So would that mean Nom Anor = Dukat?

2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Eh, no. Dukat was a thoroughly self-deluded lunatic. Nom Anor at least knew that, when he lied his *** off to everyone around him, it was a lie :p

On another note, I picked up Star Trek Insurrection at the library the other day, just to see what everybody hated about it. It's not my favorite movie, but I don't think it was horrible. Then again, I didn't think Nemesis was all that horrible either...

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

[​IMG]

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I didn't mind Insurrection, Nemesis was awful, though.

TX-20 likes this.
  6. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Reverse for me, Diggy. Enjoyed Nemesis, but Insurrection was baaaad.

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    See, I went into Insurrection expecting a light-hearted sort of romp, and for me it was the closest to an episode of the show, which I love. I have seen in twice, but both times was about when it was released, so perhaps time and memory are playing tricks.

With Nemesis, I just didn't care for it at all. The plot didn't make a great deal of sense, Data's death didn't make any sense, and then that got cheapened by B2 or whatever his name was. Plus it was a bit of a rip of WoK. But, I have only seen that one once, so again, memory, time.

I'm trying to remember why Data's death bothered me so. If I remember correctly, he grabbed, not built, a personal transporter that would work on one person. I think at the time my first thought was, why not grab two?

But on Trek films overall, they need to get away from the whole revenge thing.

TX-20 likes this.
  8. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    True, but revenge stories sell tickets, spatial anomaly stories will only bore the hell out of the non-Trek fans who got dragged into the theater by another Trek fan who will be jizzing themself over it when they see it and then complaining about it on the internet two days later after they read a single critical review of it online.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]
    "How Insurrection bad?"

[​IMG]
    "Insurrection not good."

[​IMG]
    "Insurrection- BAAAAAD!!!!!!"

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  10. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Insurrection was boring and vanilla plain but I'll give it credit for at least feeling like a Star Trek movie and not trying to Hollywood itself up with grimdarkness and turning Picard into a violent action hero like First Contact and Nemesis did.

Sarge likes this.
  11. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Nemesis has some good story concepts, some nice Picard/Data and Riker/Troi moments, some fairly well executed starship action and a well acted villain. All these elements combine to at least make it watchable. Insurrection has a weak story, boob jokes and Klingon zits.

The2ndQuest and CT-867-5309 like this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You're forgetting the Microsoft Cardboard Podium of Manual Control. As well you should.

Sarge likes this.
  13. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    At least First Contact had a basis for Picard acting like he did in that film and even went so far as to do a flashback of him being converted by the Borg at the beginning of the film for those who may not have watched the TNG eps and thus clue in those fans as to his motivations.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nemesis definitely needed a flashback with Hardy as young Picard so his reveal would affect the audience the way it supposedly did Picard.

15. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

If you look very carefully early in the movie you can see a photograph of Picard as a cadet behind his desk in his quarters. Its actually a photograph of Tom Hardy in full make up and a uniform.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, all the more reason for them to have shot a scene or sequence with him- the photograph is not something obvious enough for people to make the connection. And it's not like they'd have the excuse of makeup and costuming if they already went through the trouble of getting him into a uniform for a photo.

17. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    The thing that really undermined Nemesis, and perhaps arguably Insurrection as well, was its budget. Brent Spiner was directly involved in the script writing process and was responsible for bringing in John Logan. He has gone on record as saying that if Nemesis had had the kind of budgets that Star Trek and STID have had, than Nemesis would have been a much better movie.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's true of most of the Trek films though. Though having a huge battle against the Scimtar (as was originally planned) instead if the more tactical one we got might gave undermined the one clearly redemptive part of the film.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I saw Nemesis again back in May, and it actually holds up decently despite its rather small scope. It's kinda like a lackluster series finale, similar to Voyager's Endgame actually.

20. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    You know I can actually buy this, at least for Nemesis. Insurrection was -- even at it's core -- a mediocre story for the silver screen. But Nemesis had the potential to be more and I can see how it could have been shaped in it's execution by a poor budget. No flashbacks of young Picard (IA with The2ndQuest that it would have created the appropriate dramatic impact when Hardy was revealed). A plot that revolves around Shinzon deciding to fly his ship to Earth out of some sort of misplaced revenge -- which meant that all they needed were a few good sets and some fx of space battles. A glossed over Shinzon/Reman take-over of Romulus.

I wish the movie had stayed with the Romulus/Remus storyline: how cool would it have been to see what those worlds really look like? But that would have required going on lots of locations and big sets and stuff.

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

I can actually kind buy that argument for Insurrection as well. It might explain why the story was what it was, when is should have been about the Dominion War. A Dominion War movie would probably have to be at least $120 million movie, Obviously, at the time Paramount was unwilling to pay that much money for a Star Trek film.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That doesn't work as an excuse for Insurrection as they intentionally set out to tell a lighter story than FC- and it's clear they had no intention of working in the Dominion War at all (as per them not even bothering to explain Worf's presence).

When I say that Insurrection is a failure as a film, a failure to it's series and a failure to it's franchise, the latter part above are among the many contributing factors to the third of those.

It certainly didn't make it's decisions because of budget issues- all the TNG films (except for Nemesis) were kept in the same general budget from the outset.AFAIK, none of those TNG films ever had to cutback anything major because of budget (GEN probably trimmed a few Enterprise shots [thus the reused stock footage], FC scaled back the duration of the FC Earth/Borg battle [which still managed to be badass]). Insurrection's odd choices (like the "blue screen set" for the final confrontation) only make it look like it's an finished film due to running out of money. But that's not the case at all- it intentionally looks like an unfinished film that ran out of money because of mere incompetence.

Plus Insurrection had the opportunity to capitalize on the franchise coming off of it's peak (where squeezing a few extra bucks out of the studio would have been much easier) and instead decided to torpedo all audience goodwill in as spectacularly terrible fashion as was possible.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Nemesis is more of a failure as it killed its series and its franchise.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The series and franchise were already beyond saving because of Insurrection (and, to a lesser degree, VOY/ENT)- even a great Trek film wouldn't have saved things (particularly with the boneheaded release date), let alone an average one like Nemesis.

Insurrection killed the franchise- Nemesis was just a defibrillator with a bad battery that was too late.

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Call to Arms is just stunningly good, but also shows exactly how far out from under the shadow of B5 the series has come. That we see both Sisko and Dukat commanding the battle, each countering the other's move is a great addition to what could have been a dull big battle scene. The trick to SFX battle sequences is to make the audience feel it and Call to Arms achieves that.

DSN did it better!

TX-20 likes this.