main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT To everyone who thinks no respectable author would have a character "die of a broken heart":

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Han Burgundy, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I'm not trying to change your opinion on this. You and GL just don't see eye to eye, that's all there is to it.

- I feel the good in you; the conflict.
    - Don't listen to him, Anakin!

/LM

Darth Eddie and Cryogenic like this.
  2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I get what Lars is saying. I just don't appreciate Padme's death, it doesn't really fit my personality. I didn't really need to analyze it, the idea is pretty obvious and simple and my rejection of it was instantaneous and strong.

If anything, it's too romantic (to the point of extreme absurdity) for my tastes. It's sorta like too much of a good thing.

(the irony of that comment and the relationship between A&P does not escape me)

kainee likes this.
  3. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    This is why I can't wait til the ST comes out because I think (I hope) the new trilogy will stay away from these type of themes. When SW tries to take itself too seriously it comes off as very uneven in the movies. You have these summer movies that are suppose to be fun but also go deeper into some of mythological symbolism. That works to a point, but when you start getting plot points like losing the will to live which are trying echo a Shakespearean Tragedy is just comes off as a bit pretentious. IMO.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just don't like seeing the glorification of the concept of being so attached to someone that death is preferable to being apart. I think the concept itself is dangerous, and when it is romanticized as a form of "art", it really rubs me the wrong way. Part of the point of Anakin's story was to show how wrong and ridiculous (and dangerous) that level of attachment is, but it's supposed to be understandable in Padme's case because the only one she destroyed was herself?

Maybe I'm just taking this far too seriously.

kainee, DarthDuckie and CT-867-5309 like this.
  5. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    It's actually a perfect demonstration of what the Jedi warn against with attachments isn't it? Quite a contrast with her daughter (the one Padme was too devastated to stay alive for), who has her entire planet blown to bits before her eyes and yet still carries on for the greater good.

6. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    *gentle reminder*

All we actually know is that Padme is a fictional character in a fictional universe.

Lucas, or the product of his labour, isn't bound by our rules, our sense of what's just, realistic, sacred, or right.

There are, no doubt, things in Star Wars that outrage reason, and defy "good" taste. But that's half the reason, in my view, to dig Star Wars in the first place. Like any art, it can say and do things that might be silly, irresponsible, dangerous, or taboo elsewhere.

Art can allow us to work through things in a "fantasy" construct: safely, at a distance, where contemplation is preferable to action or complication. Which is not to say that Lucas can do whatever he likes. Or that some art might not be hazardous or detrimental in some way. But we generally need to give artists, or those artists we say we cherish, the benefit of the doubt, I think.

Not that you have to alter your opinion or anything. There are, of course, no right or wrongs. Whatever shall be your truth, in art, can be. In this case, however, I think you're doing a disservice to the enlarged poetic dimension of the PT, which draws on numerous depictions of tragedy (and beauty) from antiquity to the present-day. You're still entitled to think it fails in that regard or to want something else out of it, though. To each, their own.

You might be.

But we're all guilty of that.

Yet you've just offered some very interesting contentions to think about.

This is an important issue to me, too, because I have a friend who, at the moment, is going through a difficult time, having just lost her partner to suicide (he was the same age as Padme, too: 27) about six weeks ago.

I don't know quite where I stand on the matter of "glorification". I'm not sure Lucas is really glorifying that path through Padme so much as noting that it happens; it's a strand of human experience, for better or worse, and it's not inherently wrong, I don't think, for Lucas to cap the prequel storyline off in this manner.

Also, I would suggest that his contriving a sad end for Padme, where she, in some sense, dies of grief, might rouse something inside people -- at least, in their more lucid moments -- that gets them to recoil against the notion that "death is preferable to them being apart" and inspires them to see over that mental hill which Padme could not.

I take you back to the yin-yang cloud symbolism right at the prequel trilogy's centre (AOTC Chapter 50: Nightmare). Art is neither good nor bad. It really exists outside of morality; and its effects upon a person, or a populace, can vary widely according to prevalent social mores and inherent personal biases.

That doesn't stop me wondering about the "wisdom" of some art, though. Certain blockbuster movies, for example, kinda rub me the wrong way, and it's hard to shake the feeling that they're "bad" in some way, and actually harmful to society. I think we all get that. I suppose, in the end, I have to personally weigh up what I think about the artist in question, through as much as their art as I can find, and see if a more general picture emerges. But even then, it's still subjective.

Difficult to find solid ground on matters like these, I think.

minnishe likes this.
  7. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Yeah, it is difficult and subjective when a fictional character in a fictional world is involved. But audience's reactions are based on their own emotional background and experiences in this world and I think it's unrealistic to ask people to completely detach from that when deciding whether something rings true.

Aegon Starcaster, Pensivia and Sarge like this.
  8. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Fortunately, I wasn't doing that.

9. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    And, fortunately, I wasn't suggesting that you were. Just an observation about art : life.

10. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Throw some more of those observations out, then.

I very much like this one (there's more in this thread from various people I need to go back and comment on):

You've pulled out an excellent contrast there.

Luke and Leia -- a mix of their parents.

11. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Are they a mix though? Where does Leia's ability to deal with the worst of adversity and carry on come from? Neither of her parents really demonstrated the ability to deal with life once the bonds of over-attachment were broken. Even the prospect of such a severing drove Anakin to the dark side, whereas when the strongest attachment in Padme's life was broken she, well, gave up altogether.

In my pre-ROTS universe, the twins' inner fortitude came from their mother. Maybe Padme's parents or the midichlorians had it and it skipped a generation on both sides...

12. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    Everyone makes mistakes, even JRT. :)

I think the whole idea of Padme dying of a broken heart over Anakin, while she has newborn twins, is stupid. And I think the idea of being able to die of a broken heart is ridiculous too.

13. Rowboatcop

Rowboatcop Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 11, 2011
    I cant remember if this was debunked by Lucas or not, but what about the possibility that Padmes death is a more science fiction-y development, like the E.T./Eliot connection? In other words, Anakin is so attached to her that he really is killing her, pulling her down with him as he dies (and is then artificially jump started by the suit) the medical droid just doesn't understand. In which case it doesn't reflect on her character any more than if she were hit by a bus.

Cryogenic and FRAGWAGON like this.
  14. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    ^ The scene does seem to implicate something to that effect. It harkens back to the theme of symbiosis in TPM, where the Naboo and the Gungans depended on eachother for their societies to work and the same was true for midi-chlorians and life.
    Those were examples of healthy symbiosis. What's happened to Padmé and Anakin by ROTS, though, is rather unhealthy, as evidenced by her death.
    What I take away from this is not that you should choose death over not being loved (I frankly don't understand that conclusion at all), but that it's dangerous to devote yourself so completely to someone else, to become so attached that you can't function without that person.

- Now, the Jedi are all but extinct.
    - Mourn them, do not. Miss them, do not.

/LM

kainee and Cryogenic like this.
  15. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Implicate? I meant "imply", of course ;)

- I can't get involved!
    - They will kill you if you stay.

/LM

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    One and the same.

Padme chose to devote herself to Anakin to the point where she couldn't live without him, did she not? That seems way out if character for a woman who was strong and independent enough to rule a planet at age 14.

17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Personally, I have no problem with a character dying of a broken heart... if the story and the character are well written. Gotta give Padme's death two thumbs down.

18. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Quite the contrary.

I'd hardly call her independent, but whatever. Why is this brought up as though my post had something to do with her being in or out of character?

- I'm so confused.
    - Sometimes, I don't understand human behavior.

/LM

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If she had been portrayed from TPM as the frail, damsel-in-distress type who had no other ambition in life than to find a man and make babies, her death would have suited her, and I would have hated her character from the outset. As it was, a character I respected a lot in the first couple of movies, chose to wrap up her entire identity in a man, to the point where she "lost the will to live."

Falling in love with someone can't necessarily be helped. Devoting oneself that completely to another person, to the point where that person owns your identity and existence, can be helped, and is monumentally ****ing stupid.

20. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    But does ROTS really show that, anakinfan? What I mean is, if Anakin truly was the most important thing (the only thing) to her, beyond anything else, then why wouldn't she have gone with him when he asked her to? And even if she couldn't stand what he had done enough to be with him, why not try to turn him back? She hadn't given up hope in him -- in fact, her very last words to Obi-Wan were to tell him that there was still good in her husband.

If anything, I always felt that Padmé was trying to protect her kids (and, in her own way, save her husband from himself) with her final act. If Anakin had owned her identity, I don't think she would have ever gone against him.

21. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    What's wrong with the "medically she's completely healthy" line? :confused:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you cannot die from being completely healthy, in order to die from broken heart syndrome, your organs need to fail and stop working, that is far from being perfectly healthy.

And to be honest, Being killed by the force choke would be far much more convincing than what we got,

what Anakin can be redeemed when killing Jedi children but not if he force choked his wife? eh?

ILNP, Sarge and Placeholder like this.
  22. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Well, in response to the original assertion that began this thread, this is how I look at it:

Once upon a time, in a kingdom far, far away...

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

When a story or film begins with a phrase like that, then it shouldn't really come as a surprise when the writer of that literary work uses a trope like someone dying because she has a broken heart or lost the will to live. I mean, it's not as if assaulting someone with a magical strangulation power is perfectly in keeping with our everyday reality. Also, since dying of a broken heart is just a fairy tale convention, I don't see how someone can say that only certain personality types would succumb to it. It's a fantasy ailment, so who knows what type of person would suffer from it.

kainee, Cryogenic and FRAGWAGON like this.
  23. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    While I think the execution of this scene (inexact pun intended 8-} ) could have been better, the overall concept and its function/effect in the film still worked for me as a whole. Given the extreme circumstances Padme had just faced (I would characterize Anakin's turn to evil and his starting to kill her as amounting to much more than a relationship that merely "didn't work out"), it didn't strike me as implausible for her character as a whole (even someone who is generally strong, etc. can be pushed past a breaking point). I also don't see the idea of "dying of a broken heart" as somehow wholly different from or contradictory to the exact line which references "losing the will to live." Padme obviously became broken-hearted in the previous scene, then the med droid says she's lost the will to live even though she's medically fine... therefore her broken heart is the cause of her losing the will to live, which is in turn the cause of her death according to the dialogue.

However, ultimately, I think it just comes down to subjective responses on both sides of the issue. It worked ok for me and for some other fans, but, for others, it didn't (and I can understand that). I don't think the fact that it didn't work for everyone means that it can be summarily dismissed as an "objectively" terrible plot point or scene.

24. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    This right here is the ultimate counter to any criticism or complaint you could levy against Star Wars, the prequels in particular.

Pensivia likes this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It's all subjective, I don't think anyone has said otherwise and I'm not even sure what the purpose is in pointing that out.

As far as I'm concerned, fantasy universe or no, she should have kept fighting. Several of you were OK with her giving up.

End thread?

Pensivia likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.