main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate To extend Unemployment benefits or not

Discussion in 'Community' started by beezel26, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    What fact, that the economy was collapsed on purpose for money?

That's not a fact, it's something you write at 2am on a toilet stall because you can't tell it's not profound and makes no sense.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm sure you thought that was clever. If you have something to actually contribute please do so but you can take your insults and piss off.

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I don't believe the economy was collapsed on purpose for money. I think its far easier for everyone to make money when everyone is making money and the economy is humming. Why collapse it to do something(make more money) you can do easier with a healthy economy?

There was a massive wealth transfer that occurred with the bailouts, but that's different than saying the economy was collapsed on purpose.

As for the UI begin extended, I would be in favor. In fact, they should look at a straight forward subsidy to each family to pay for rent/house payment, etc.
    But both parties dance around the issue playing politics with it instead of cutting through the nonsense and just doing a more efficient all in one family welfare subsidy. Just tie it to house payment/rent or health care or food and clothing. Make it like a targeted check, "valid only if used for" and in certain stores.

4. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    I believe it would be helpful, as a matter of perspective, to keep in mind that UI benefits are not a lavish entitlement
    that allows one to live in baronial splendor, whiling away the hours at spas and country clubs between jet setting
    tours of Trinidad and Barbados.

To the contrary.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I live in one of the cheapest areas of the US and even here, it would be pretty hard to support a family on unemployment benefits.

6. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    I would completely agree about the targeted aspect, Shane, because I don't think that it really occurs. But how would it be enforced? One only has to drive downtown Chicago to see all of the 7-11's that have "We accept WIC here..." Realistically, 7-11's only sell Dorito's and beer, but if the clerk accepts the purchase, how can the government ensure its being used properly?

I would also support Congress coming up with a priority of resources. It's clear that the feds just can't keep spending money that it doesn't have. So if Congress wants to keep the extended unemployment benefits, then something else has to be cut in response. Environmental, military, whatever. But it can't be treated as a bottomless pit of money.

7. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I am workless since over a ~1 1/4 yrs now with a 1 month-break, after I finished school at 16 years I planned to go to for another degree (there are three forms of school in my country) but my parents wanted me to do learn a job for that I had to wait a year for, they screamed and yelled at me when I refused them, in that year I had nothing to do, no friends (long, sad story) so I developed several disorders and loss of reality, I lost my work, better say left after just one month when I was able to convince my parents how bad it was. Now I have almost no money and my parents both threaten me to put me into a psychatric hospital because of the reality loss and odd behavior or let me starve and freeze to death on the streets and I don't think I would get government's money without getting into problems because that loss of reality stuff. Now there are the options to go 1. go to a therapy or skip it, 2. then go to school or a job again, 3. into psychatric hospital, 4. live homeless or 5. commit suicide during the next para-psychotic state because space aliens tell me.